mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ameican Classic's new 650b wheelsets

www.derbyrims.com
    American Classic has sold production 650b wheels for at least 3 years. They do have different looking labels this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah, that is odd. The article and Interbike show make it sound like it's their latest and greatest. I guess why reinvent the 650b wheel when you can slap on BNG.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    American Classic has sold production 650b wheels for at least 3 years. They do have different looking labels this year.
    I think the 27.5 Race version is new though, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Race wheels are new, the 650b wheels from last year were OE spec only (not light).

mtbr member

Smile

That's tempting..... Around 400 grams less in weight
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced

mtbr member
    I have many troubles with keeping the correct bearing preload on my 26" American Classic/Stan's 347's. One ride they work perfectly then the next ride they seem too tight and the pedals spin when I push the bike. These are 08 version and this may have been corrected but that's what I've experienced with them. Super light at 1380 grams.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    I have many troubles with keeping the correct bearing preload on my 26" American Classic/Stan's 347's. One ride they work perfectly then the next ride they seem too tight and the pedals spin when I push the bike. These are 08 version and this may have been corrected but that's what I've experienced with them. Super light at 1380 grams.
    ACs are supposed to be set up with a very small side-to-side play when they are not torqued down with the quick release. This is in their literature.

mtbr member
    Ah, thanks for that info. I try to get zero side to side play before install. This will make me a very happy camper, great hubs and rims I have to say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    Ah, thanks for that info. I try to get zero side to side play before install. This will make me a very happy camper, great hubs and rims I have to say.
    I'll try to find the little pamphlet they come with. It's small and one of those got lost in the box items.
    Last edited by thickfog; 12-26-2012 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Just got back to the US. Thanks for the tech data, I'll readjust accordingly. I was beginning to call these crap or at least not worth the money spent but they are sexy as all get out....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That is very good info. I was worried about the side to side play in my AC rear hub and torqued down the 19mm nuts. I will ease that up as noted.

Do you know if the 15mm thru-axle front hub is different? I have a small amount of play in that hub as well (although I don't have the wrench to tighten that one).

mtbr member
    All I've seen on their website:

I have been told that there should be a small amount of play in my bearings, is this true? We recommend a very small amount of play be present when the quick release is loose for our rear wheels. Once the quick release is tight in the frame there should be no play (a whisper of play is fine). The purpose of having this play is to extend the life of your bearings and reduce friction in the hubs