Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    75

    AM (140mm +) hardtail 650b. Does it exist?

    As the title of this thread states, I would like to build an AM hardtail 650b. I see a few options for 26" long travel hardtails but haven't come across any frames for 650b. I am willing to build or buy a complete bike. Steel or Aluminum is fine.

    Anyone know where I can find a such a beast?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 5power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    187
    I just got a 2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon and will be going 650b. I'll give a review later this week.

  3. #3
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by dboneslick View Post
    As the title of this thread states, I would like to build an AM hardtail 650b. I see a few options for 26" long travel hardtails but haven't come across any frames for 650b. I am willing to build or buy a complete bike. Steel or Aluminum is fine.

    Anyone know where I can find a such a beast?
    The 2013 Kona Explosif comes stock with a 120mm fork, but I believe you can build it up with a longer fork. Do a search here in the 650B forum.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  4. #4
    www.EpicCyclist.com
    Reputation: team_wee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    218
    Cove bikes soon to release a long travel TI frame and Chromag has something in the works.

  5. #5
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,278
    Canfield Yelli Screamy or Nimble 9 with 140mm 29er fork

    AM (140mm +) hardtail 650b. Does it exist?-uploadfromtaptalk1366917433740.jpg
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 04-29-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    No moss...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,809
    I'm running 160mm (Fox 34 Float) on my Explosif. I was originally planning on dropping it to 150mm. Still undecided as of right now.

  7. #7
    bump and grind
    Reputation: cobym2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    641
    My Voodoo D-jab
    140mm fox vanilla 32. Just took it for a enduro type epic ride (climb up, bomb downhill runs, rock gardens galore) and it acquitted itself very well. Even took to the air a few times.


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by dboneslick View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a such a beast?
    I'm not sure about getting it in the US, but this year's Saracen Zen is a beauty.

    Saracen - Zen

    I had about an hours worth on one last month and it's really, really nice. Not as slack a head angle as I'm used to, but really nicely balanced and neutral to ride, the nicest complete bike I've ridden in ages. It happens to be a 650 too.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    I'm running 160mm (Fox 34 Float) on my Explosif. I was originally planning on dropping it to 150mm. Still undecided as of right now.
    I assume you have the 2013 650b model? How does it handle with a 160mm fork? If I decide to go that route, do you know where I could find a 2013 frame only? I don't have any Kona dealers near me and I'm not having success on google.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,809
    Yes, a 2013 frame. Handling is good so far, but i need some more miles on it.

    All my local Kona dealers couldn't get me one earlier this Spring, but Bikeman.com delivered. It looks like that are currently out of stock, but check with them anyway -

    Explosif

  11. #11
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    I'm not sure about getting it in the US, but this year's Saracen Zen is a beauty.

    Saracen - Zen

    I had about an hours worth on one last month and it's really, really nice. Not as slack a head angle as I'm used to, but really nicely balanced and neutral to ride, the nicest complete bike I've ridden in ages. It happens to be a 650 too.
    What he said ^^^^ (forgot to include it in my first post).

    Also, Marin is jumping into the 650B fray, reincarnating the Rocky Ridge hard tail as 650B (scroll down a bit)
    Four Marin Prototypes Spotted ? Sea Otter 2013 - BikeRadar
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  12. #12
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Canfield Yelli Screamy or Nimble 9 with 140mm 29er fork

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366917433740.jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	794715
    I'd rather see a 6fiddyB specific hooped Nimble 7.

    I'd be down with a Chromag as well.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  13. #13
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,947
    Surly Instigator 2.0
    Instigator 2.0 | Bikes | Surly Bikes


    I know, I know, seems like a slap in the face of 650B, but it still sure is a cool bike.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    84
    This looks pretty good to me...(the zero hardtail)

    https://www.facebook.com/birdmtb.co.uk

  15. #15
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,009
    That Bird Zero.1 looks good. Despite the release of "clutch" style rear ders and thin/wide toothed front chainrings, I like seeing ISCG tabs on the Zero. Canfield, please take note.... ;-)
    Chromag would def. add tabs on their release I would think.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thekrow4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Surly Instigator 2.0
    Instigator 2.0 | Bikes | Surly Bikes


    I know, I know, seems like a slap in the face of 650B, but it still sure is a cool bike.
    don't discount the surly. Man thats one awesome bike. Planning it to be my next one. look at all the options for rear wheel. 135mm, 142mm, singlespeed. versatile build options. Steel is real!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Frima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    here you go:
    Kingdom Bike

    Brigante AM275, it's Ti, slack and very limited edition

  18. #18
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,340
    On one 456 Carbon if you build it.


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13
    Very nice.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2 View Post
    My Voodoo D-jab
    140mm fox vanilla 32. Just took it for a enduro type epic ride (climb up, bomb downhill runs, rock gardens galore) and it acquitted itself very well. Even took to the air a few times.

    Very nice.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36
    On the same hunt but want frame only options.
    These options not mentioned:

    Commencal Meta AM HT steel available now, aluminium next month

    Orange Crush

    Pace Cycles releasing RC127 (steel 853) probably not till January 2014

    Genesis High Latitude LT steel but only 120mm front fork.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    28
    The chromag samurai 65 is available now. I've got one. It's not listed on the website but they're available, just send them an email.

    Nikolai makes a sweet looking 650b. Transition announced a trans am but I'm not sure when it'll be available. Seems like there are lots of good options available now, or just around the corner.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    28
    I ran my explosif with a 140mm fork and it was great. My only complaint was the too-low bottom bracket but it sounds like they fixed that for 2014.

  24. #24
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by BritPOP View Post
    On the same hunt but want frame only options.
    These options not mentioned:

    Commencal Meta AM HT steel available now, aluminium next month

    Orange Crush

    Pace Cycles releasing RC127 (steel 853) probably not till January 2014

    Genesis High Latitude LT steel but only 120mm front fork.
    Isn't the Genesis a 29er?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36
    The LT is a 650b variant of the high latitude although actual details are a bit thin on the ground at the mo. But as I said it is 120mm so falls outside the OP's spec.

    Whyte bikes have the 90x series hardtails which at 130mm might just scrape in.

    Note: The Zen goes from 130mm to 140mm in 2014.

    Really fancied steel myself but they all seem heavy 6 to 7 lb, anyone know of any lighter options (not silly money, ti etc)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Putting a 140mm fork on a hardtail?
    By 94hardtail in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 02:15 AM
  2. Fox's new 650b/27.5 140mm fork
    By francois in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM
  3. Turner HARDTAIL it does exist...
    By mechone in forum Turner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 07:29 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •