mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Advice on Norco HT

Revolver HT XC Race Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles

Thats the bike im looking at!! Has anyone test ridden it? I ride mostly fast XC with alot of climbs, I have been debating a HT vs FS for quite some time.

Any thoughts would be great thx.

Brad Olsen

mtbr member
    Go FS. It is a fallacy that HTs climb better...unless you are only climbing on the road.
    A FS will give better traction and allow you to stay seated more.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Go FS. It is a fallacy that HTs climb better...unless you are only climbing on the road.
    A FS will give better traction and allow you to stay seated more.
    Depends on the rider's preference. I am personally faster on my alloy hardtail than my old carbon Blur. I found that the stiff XC suspension didn't do much better on hard climbs than my hardtail's instant energy transfer. But then, I attack technical obstacles riding up a trail. I prefer the feel of a hardtail.

OP, what do you ride currently? And where do you ride? Do you see yourself racing on this bike? The bike you are looking at seems like a very nice XC Hardtail, and I'm sure is absolutely capable of most trails ridden by anyone taking the time to comment to this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Depends on the rider's preference. I am personally faster on my alloy hardtail than my old carbon Blur. I found that the stiff XC suspension didn't do much better on hard climbs than my hardtail's instant energy transfer. But then, I attack technical obstacles riding up a trail. I prefer the feel of a hardtail.

OP, what do you ride currently? And where do you ride? Do you see yourself racing on this bike? The bike you are looking at seems like a very nice XC Hardtail, and I'm sure is absolutely capable of most trails ridden by anyone taking the time to comment to this thread.
    What are you trying to imply?

There was a really well written article comparing 3 bikes, a HT, short-travel FS and longer travel FS in the October issue of WhatMountainBike magazine (UK). They controlled as many parameters as possible (incl. power and HR), and multiple timed runs up a long, technical climb. The results had the HT last, thought it felt the fastest. I am guessing you would have Strava data refuting that.

Can a HT handle any trail your going to encounter? Of course it can.

More info form the OP would be helpful.

The one thing I would suggest, regardless, is to test ride and demo as much as possible, especially if you lack experience on a FS. It is critical the bike is set-up for your weight as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The trail I ride is a cross country ski trail that is full of short down hills and steep uphills. Then it turns into a bike trail of technical single track. I rode a 2013 norco fluid 9.1. So I'm going up in quality of a bike and really want to make the correct choice.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    What are you trying to imply?
    Simply that rider preference trumps most magazine reviews. It is important for the rider to dial the bike to how they ride, not the other way around.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by BradOlsen84 View Post
    The trail I ride is a cross country ski trail that is full of short down hills and steep uphills. Then it turns into a bike trail of technical single track. I rode a 2013 norco fluid 9.1. So I'm going up in quality of a bike and really want to make the correct choice.
    If your definition of "technical" doesn't include a bunch of 3' drops and moonscape-level of rocky-ness, I think the HT would be the most efficient and fun for those trails.

However, it is always best to test ride the different bikes.

Have fun out there!