mtbr member

96er Build.... will frame work?

i have an older trek 6700 frame, 2003 http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bikes/2003/archive/6700 . i would like to know if this is something i could build as a 96er. i've been looking around for a frame to build one of these and decided to take that out for a spin the other day when i dawned on me, maybe i can build this up as a 69er.

i'm unsure as to whether or not a 29" wheel is going to work up front with this bike. any input on this?? any rule of thumb as to what determines when a frame is compatible with a 29" wheel??

thanks for any help!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

also want to know

I'm also interested, as I might be getting a Trek 4700 that I might want to do this with

mtbr member
    Probably the best way to make it work is to put a short rigid fork on it with the clearance to fit a 29" wheel. People have been doing very well with the On-One Superlight Carbon forks, or at least I have had a nice time with that fork on my 2000 s-works.
    Going with a Suspension fork and a 29" wheel on a 26er frame will probably make the front end too tall and futz with the steering.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I saw a 6700 like this one day. It has a 26" Pace Carbon fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

trek 850

can I go with a 29" fork up front? Ideas? Suggestions?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    29er fork will be to long... bet the 850 was built on a very short travel fork (63mm?) is what you are trying to do is get the total length from the bottom of the tire to the crown of the fork to be the same as it was before the fork/wheel change... but you still have to have a big enough fork to fit the 29er wheel
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    no, you can't. you still might be able to run a 29" front wheel though.

now answer these questions:
    what year is bike?
    do you want rigid or bouncy fork?
    what travel 26" fork was bike designed for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    stock fork was 80mm

find a 40-60mm 29er fork and you will only change head angle slightly
    or find a 29er rigid carbon fork with no head angle change

or

or you can go with a 650b wheel and leave everything alone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
    stock fork was 80mm

find a 40-60mm 29er fork and you will only change head angle slightly
    or find a 29er rigid carbon fork with no head angle change

or

or you can go with a 650b wheel and leave everything alone.
    You are wrong on all accounts and your knuckleheaded advice will hurt somebody.

The rigid 29er fork will jack the front sky hi as will the bouncy fork. You should use a 26" segmented fork that fits a 29" wheel.

How do you figure a 650 wheel will not affect head angle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ignorance is bliss.

A no rise carbon 29'er fork will not change anything.. if you need me to prove this ill drill in my point.

i never said the 650b will not change head angle.. matter of fact i never commented on head angle using that wheel..

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
    Ignorance is bliss.

A no rise carbon 29'er fork will not change anything.. if you need me to prove this ill drill in my point.

i never said the 650b will not change head angle.. matter of fact i never commented on head angle using that wheel..
    Yeah, because those "no rise" carbon 29'er forks are real easy to come by.....not.
    Once again another shiggy posts a backpedal response because the first time he opened his hairlip mouth he was wrong. Keep drilling in you point Mr. Ironworker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    But you can find them so i am correct.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I dont know how old the bike is. It was given to me and I am repairing it. Is there a date stamp on it someplace? It is old enough that it came with a rigid fork, cantilever brakes, a free wheel and grip shifts. Does that help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sounds like it is non-suspension corrected so sadly you are out of luck. ANything you do is going to jack the front up. It sounds like gotboostedvr6 has some decent ideas. Maybe he will be willing to show us how and where we can get forks to convert trek 850s into 69ers without changing the geo.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    post some pics up... and some specs of the componets... trek used the "850" for a long time... it may or may not be suspension corrected (many rigid's where in the mid 90's... just like most are these days... just built to different fork lengths)

you prob could use http://www.bikepedia.com to figure out the age assuming it's '93 or newer from there i'm sure somone will know what geo it has based on it's age... mid 90's had a lot of 63mm forks which means you'll be a little long if you run 29er up front...

like i said before is what you want is the crown of the fork down to the ground to be the same length as it was when you had the stock fork and stock wheel/tire...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie