Thread: 69er race bike

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007

69er race bike

I was wondering what you guys think of a 69er rce bike? Any sugestions?
    Will race mostly western PA, West Viginia, and Western Maryland.
    Terrain is twisty, rooty, and it does have it's share of rocks on the race courses.
    I am thinking full suspension. Moots, Trek, I think the Ventana has a little much travel.?
    I am open to ideas.
    I am a Turner guy, I was wondering if a Flux could use a 29er fork, or would it get to f-ed up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    like my '08 Top Fuel. It does well in the roots and tight East Coast trails.

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    Is it a top fuel 69er full suspension? Are they made in the USA, or is Trek selling out?

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    69er is a full suspension bike, and like the majority of bikes, at least 90%, they are made outside of the US.

mtbr member
    I'm no racer but felt really fast the only 2 rides I took on this machine.... Maverick ML7, 2004 I believe. This thing turned and climbed like no other bike I've been on... The terrain I ride sounds similar to what you describe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Purs; 01-09-2009 at 08:49 AM.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Purs
    I'm no racer but felt really fast the only 2 rides I took on this machine.... Maverick ML7, 2004 I believe. This thing turned and climbed like no other bike I've been on... The terrain I ride sounds similar to what you describe.

that's a good looking piece of machinery right there. a fun ride too.

Whatever

Whose Maverick 69er is that?

I've been meaning to try that with my ML7/5. I have a Trek 69er singlespee d and love it. I ride it way more than my Maverick, so thought this would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Purs
    Ibis Ripley with Pike
    Spot Ti Singlespeed
    Santa Cruz V10
    bunch of track bikes for Boulder Valley Velodrome

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    That Mav is awsome! I guess using a maverick fork, it would not screw up the geometry al that much?? Does any one have any other picturess of their modified bikes?
    I was thinking of taking a Turner flux and throwing a Reba 29er on it! I think I would have to drop it to 80mm trvel on the fork???

mtbr member

Heres mine

Here is my Raleigh Ram 4.0 69'ed with a Reba race with a remote lockout running at 80mm on the front and a fox rp23 on the back. I have raced several N.Cal races on this rig

All I did to counteract the increase in HTA was to move my cockpit forward about 30mm. I just added some bar ends that make climbing even better.

race-1.jpg

IMG_0081small.jpg

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad
    Here is my Raleigh Ram 4.0 69'ed with a Reba race with a remote lockout running at 80mm on the front and a fox rp23 on the back. I have raced several N.Cal races on this rig

All I did to counteract the increase in HTA was to move my cockpit forward about 30mm. I just added some bar ends that make climbing even better.

race-1.jpg

IMG_0081small.jpg

That looks very familiar to another 69er made...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Here is our latest...

650B rear though.

mtbr member
    a little lighter.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

Blue Dot Junkie

Racy!

The Fifty-Five in this pic has a frame weight of 2.9lbs... very racy!

I earn my living building Siren Bicycles

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    That bike is sick!
    What is the geomerty?
    How much for the frame?
    I see on the site, you have a soft tail version?
    A soft tail is what I am leaning toward! I can not afford TI. Can you do a soft tail in? Scandium?
    That fram looks a lot like a Carver. *( thta is what I am riding now) It is fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

69ers

I'm sorry but the 69ers look like a Hiena on wheels. I rode one the other day and you get the 29er front roll but the rear feels odd??? just my opinion.

mtbr member
    What you may be looking for is this: Moots Gristle YBB w/ slider rear dropouts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wojo14
    I was thinking of taking a Turner flux and throwing it away
    Best use for a Turner really....

Homey don't play that!
    I think the Ventana has a little much travel.?
    The cool thing about Ventana is that you are not tied to any design or amount of travel. Here's a 69er that weighs 25.5 lbs. has 5" rear and 4" front and is very raceable.
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    Is that VENTANA the new 69er? Or did you create it?
    I was thinking of lightening up my Turner spot and running a reba 29er on it?

Homey don't play that!
    Is that VENTANA the new 69er? Or did you create it?
    I was thinking of lightening up my Turner spot and running a reba 29er on it?
    Actually it's one of the prototypes of the El Chucho.
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    sweet bike pauliemon! What is your build? Do you know the frame weight? My Turner spot with a reba 100 has almost the exact gomerty as the Ventana El Chucho. So, that is what I might do, 69er it. I think the 5 Spot frame I have weights around 6lbs. Right now I have it built up tough, and it weights around 30. I would like to know what your build consists of, I would love to get my ride down to 25??? Later!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    For a RACE bike I'd consider that Siren in the softail version. I'm thinking light, racy, custom, and some cush for your tush.

How about an El Bastardo with a 29" up front and the 650b in the rear?

I still think your best bet is either Siren, or Trek Top Fuel 69'er.

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    I like the Sire song! HAve you or ny one ever ridden one? I would like to just reduce down to one bike! Do you think the siren song would be a good trail/race bike?

Homey don't play that!
    Thanks. Itís my favorite Ventana and I ride a lot of Ventanas. I believe the weight on this frame is in the 6 lb. area (5.95-6.05). Itís lighter than a stock Chucho frame. It has double butted tubes. A 1.5" instead of a 1.75" top tube. El Fuego/El Patron BB shell. I went with Quad Bearings because I weigh 185.

The build is mainly XTR/XT drive train.
    Hope Mini Mono brakes (160f/140r).
    Thomson Masterpiece seatpost.
    Ritchey WCS stem 31.8.
    Bontrager Race Lite bars.
    King headset and hubs.
    WTB Rocket V, ti rails.

The wheels are light. The rear is very light with Stans Olympic Disc rim with DT Aerolite spokes. Also right now I have some sub 500 gram Specialized tire on there. The front is a Stan Olympic Disc 29 (no longer made by Stan) with DT SuperComp spokes. Alloy nips front and rear.

I could make it a little lighter with lighter Crank Bros eggbeaters and a XTR cassette. But why? My bike will be a little lighter, my wallet will be a lot lighter and Iíll still suck.

Homey don't play that!
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    How about an El Bastardo with a 29" up front and the 650b in the rear?
    I got the ďgo aheadĒ on that project. I just havenít had time to put it together. It will probably be more like a Chucho with a 650B wheel in the rear. Iíll post it when I get it done.