mtbr member
    Oct 2004

69'ed my 1x1, Now I have questions about tires and forks.

I recently 69'ed my Surly 1x1. I have had 29er's in the past and they never really did it for me , but I am really liking the riding characteristics, its a fun ride and rips the turns really well. My question now is about the fork, the 1x1 fork fits a nanoraptor all right , but has any body tried to fit a larger 29er tire in there with good results, and what was it ?

If thats a no go does any one have any experience with the Exotic, Rock Solid or Sasso rigid fork in a 425mm AC, If so , how large of a 29er tire did you fit in there ? I am trying to keep the front end as close to the original 1x1 fork as possible (413mm AC) , while still giving me the option to run tires larger than the nanoraptor.

I have been looking around for info the last couple of days but have not found much, so I figured I would ask here.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hello -

I first used the stock 1x1 fork with a nevegal 2.2. When I put the 29inch 2.2 next to the rear 26inch 2.35 they looked to be the same width etc...

Problem is the top clearance was tight and I kept exploding rocks on the fork that were stuck in the tire (side by side clearance is fine). It was just unnerving to say the least, while I could run some trails and it would occur once to none. On some sections of rocky gravely trails it would happen every 5 feet.

I just swapped the stock front 1x1 fork for an instigator and now there is plenty of clearance. I was thinking of swapping the rear 2.35 nevegal to a 2.1 nev or small block eight but I'll wait until summer. Today I was planning on taking it out with the new setup.

Interestingly, I have two 1x1's, one is setup with standard 26inch wheels with a fox F80. When I place them side to side the handle bar height on the 69'er is actually lower by 2 inches or so than the front squishy setup with stock wheel size. In other words, no problems with handling, in fact I'm also going to try to flat bar today on the 69'er setup to get it even lower and see what happens. Both 1x1's are 18inch frames.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just adding I'm a noob, and again the latest setup might plain suck or be dangerous in the handling department. Still on my first cup of coffee and just looked at the bike again. The HA looks pretty slack and a shorter crown height might be needed. Good or bad, I'll post up what happens.

mtbr member
    Might have a look at the older on-one inbred 26" steel fork. They have a 425 a-c and since they are segmented can fit a giant fatty tire w/out any clearance issues. I have used WW 2.55 LT's and Rampage 2.35's in mine. Love it! If you can't find an older on-one fork try giving Walt a shot, he'll build it however you like.

Pic added:
    Last edited by Fat Bob; 01-19-2009 at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Might have a look at the older on-one inbred 26" steel fork. They have a 425 a-c and since they are segmented can fit a giant fatty tire w/out any clearance issues. I have used WW 2.55 LT's and Rampage 2.35's in mine. Love it! If you can't find an older on-one fork try giving Walt a shot, he'll build it however you like.

Pic added:
    ugh...

pic

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. Bob, that on-one fork looks nice, and its good to know that you can run a WW 2.5 LT in there. Thats kinda my plan. I'll post up what I eventually do , with pictures, but until then if anyone has anymore info please share. Thanks.