Only dead people are old

650Bx26" I'm at it again!

Last fall I tried the "new" 650B (Pacenti NeoMoto) on the front of a new Ellsworth Truth with a standard 26" rear wheel and I have found it to be the ultimate do everything and endurance ride for me. I have ridden this bike for a year now and I can not say enough about how well it rides. I also have a passion for Single Speed and I have used 29ers for SS exclusively (thinking they were the ultimate SS machine). However I am becoming less and less of a 29er fan all the time since I started using the 650B tires...I still have one geared HT 29er and one SS 29er, both of which are sitting idle most of the time now.

The 650B/26 combo still pushes my buttons and recently I converted my Fisher Ferrous 29er into a 650B/26 SS machine.The outcome was just OK because the wheelbase was still like steering a cruise ship and the lower bottom bracket (due to smaller wheel size) proved to provide plenty of rock stikes on my pedals...Hmmm not really my style to have to pay so much attention to rocks I usually cruise over.
    From 20081027

Think Pink! Then by chance I came across a Gunnar custom 69er and I have once again found an incredible match for a 650B/26 combo. The rear has slider dropouts that I have determined will fit a 650B tire (the QuasiMoto), but best of all it performs well...My wife is threatening to take over this one.
    From 20081027

mtbr member
    Is that a 29er fork on the Gunnar?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Nice job Eric. It looks like the rear end of that Gunnar has tons of room for a 650B wheel.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Is that a 29er fork on the Gunnar?
    Yep, it's the Reba 29er. The bike was designed as a 69er so of course I had to try it as a 69er 1st - it was OK but did not have the super bike feel upon initial riding. The 650B on the other hand provided the ride I was looking for. But these are all first ride initial impressions so I'll continue the easy wheel swap (29er vs 650B) on this bike until my gentle thrash testing convinces me that I will like the 650B best - no use in rushing through the fun equipment change-ups. If I put a 650B rear wheel on I may like the 29er front wheel better...(sigh) so many combinations to try over the winter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been riding a bike, in England with 650B x 2 inch tyes since 1985. My friend has a 29er he designed and built in 1981. I prefer the 650B and its shorter wheelbase but conceed that the 29er wheels are faster over soft ground.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWallace
    I've been riding a bike, in England with 650B x 2 inch tyes since 1985. My friend has a 29er he designed and built in 1981. I prefer the 650B and its shorter wheelbase but conceed that the 29er wheels are faster over soft ground.

Pictures man, we need pictures!

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

1980s English 650Bs & 29ers

Follow this link for a picture of a 1981 29er

http://www.james-walters.net/cleland...irst-29er.html

The pictures are of 1985-88 (650B) Cleland bikes made by Highpath Engineering
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Great info Super E, I am looking to begin playing with new combos on my 1x1 that I have 440mm axle to crown fork on. I ride SS exclusively, a 29er 95% of the time, and although I enjoy the 29er, I have realized it too has downfalls. I am excited to play with these different combos all winter and finally build a 650B wheel set.

Keep the feedback coming!
    nobody reads your blog

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWallace
    This has nothing to do with the OP....

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    Great info Super E, I am looking to begin playing with new combos on my 1x1 that I have 440mm axle to crown fork on. I ride SS exclusively, a 29er 95% of the time, and although I enjoy the 29er, I have realized it too has downfalls. I am excited to play with these different combos all winter and finally build a 650B wheel set.

Keep the feedback coming!
    I'm always interested in other rider impressions and experiments so make sure you post yours as you play.

E

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Yeah Graham has kind been spamming the 650B forum lately...