What size frame is your TRC? Thanks

mtbr member
    Teddy and Francois, What size are your frames? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My Blur LTc is a large

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Geesch, here we go again on "limited tires".....
    Can you buy 650b High Rollers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBallGame View Post
    I decided to try 650b wheels on my Blur LTc after demoing a Tallboy and not being satisfied with the amount of travel. I liked how the 29er rolled over everything and want to get something similar on my bike. A BIG thanks to, Francis, for lending me a set of Pacenti wheels and tires to try out. Surprisingly I didn't have any of the clearance issues others were having where spacers were needed in the shock. The clearance in the rear was a little tight, about 3mm between the tire and seat tube when the shock is fully compressed. I donít think that will be an issue unless Iím riding in pure slop I also took a bunch of pictures so you guys can see the conversion. I was running a big 2.4 Mega-Motto up front and a 2.3 Neo-Moto in the back.

I only got 3 rides in before I broke my right thumb so here's a quick review. Initially pedaling around I didn't notice a big difference. It wasn't until I started climbing up a series of 10-12 switchbacks that I started seeing some differences. Like a 29er, I found that I needed a little more oomph to keep the wheels going so the bike wouldn't stall on steep climbs. But as long as I kept my legs moving it got up the hill as quick or even quicker than on 26" wheels. I did notice that I had to put a little more weight on the front end to keep the wheel down, possibly because of the slight head angle change with the bigger wheels. On the downhills the bigger wheels and/or change in head angle made for a positive difference. I didn't have to lean as far back and was able to keep more of my weight in the center of the bike which helped the front end track better. The bike also seemed to roll over larger rocks and roots easier allowing me to keep more speed in certain sections. In tight, twisty sections the biggest difference was that I didn't have to turn the bars as far to get it into turns. It took a little while to get used to it as I was over steering quite a bit at first. I'm assuming because of the larger contact patch of the tire it grips into the dirt sooner.

Overall I was very pleased with the few rides I got in. I'm still not sure if it really was the greatness of 650b or because I wanted 650b to be great. But I have a feeling that I'm going to be getting a new wheel set soon!!
    bb a dit higher and the bike a bit longer but the angles stay the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pt81 View Post

bb a dit higher and the bike a bit longer but the angles stay the same.
    The trail, which is a facet of bicycle steering geometry, also changes. This may or may not be a significant factor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the info & review, this thread helped get me in the right direction with a similar build. Medium Blur LTc w/ Stan's Arch 650b rims & Rocket Ron tires, arriving shortly. Think I'll be ok on fork clearance when running a 26" 150mm Fox Float? Not sure if the wise thing to do would be to pull the fork before breaking it in and get a proper 650b fork on this thing, and sell the 26" before it becomes "used".

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    The trail which is a facet of bicycle steering geometry, also changes. This may or may not be a significant factor.
    Feeling yes but not the geometry both the front and back wheels having the same ground contact.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    The trail, which is a facet of bicycle steering geometry, also changes. This may or may not be a significant factor.
    from what i understand that change is more drastically felt in the roll over ability of the bike rather than the steering characteristics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nny462 View Post
    Thanks for the info & review, this thread helped get me in the right direction with a similar build. Medium Blur LTc w/ Stan's Arch 650b rims & Rocket Ron tires, arriving shortly. Think I'll be ok on fork clearance when running a 26" 150mm Fox Float? Not sure if the wise thing to do would be to pull the fork before breaking it in and get a proper 650b fork on this thing, and sell the 26" before it becomes "used".
    Bumping this up. Interested to hear more reviews as I have a similar setup in mind. Medium Blur LTc with a 26" Fox 36 150mm fork.

I ride and race the rocky/rooty trails of North Jersey. Wondering if this is a worthwhile switch for me. Guess the only way to really know is to try it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Alright guys I'm hearing mixed info from the LBS in my area called BikeCo. I own a 2012 Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon size Medium 150mm of travel. The rep indicates that custom valving is required to the rear shock in order to go 650b. I have not read anywhere that this is required. Can someone verify if this is required for the rear RP23 Kashima shock? How does a 650b conversion respond to drops and rocky technical sections any rubbing? Thanks in advance for your input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a Blur LT (non carbon), and I have an answer for you... it depends. If you run a beefy rear 650b tire (above average in height/width) and you regularly bottom out your rear shock, then you'll have to shim it somehow. I have a WTB Wolverine 2.2" on my rear wheel and it only rubs when my shock is completely bottomed out- the last 2-3mm of travel, I'd guess. Otherwise, it's a great fit.

I'm assuming the Blur LT and LTc are the same frames, by the way.

mtbr member
    You just need to put a vinyl spacer inside the shock in order to limit the travel. just get one or two 1.5mm at Home depot. Very easy to do.
    Tech Tuesday - How to Install a Fox Float Air-Volume Spacer - Pinkbike

Test it before you ride it. Take all air out and try to bottom out, check the tire clearence.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    @ Jazzanova - Interesting I didn't know that you could use spacers on the shock. I'm sure the LBS is charging a premium to covert this for me. Thanks for pointing out where to go to by the spacer. Cheers!

@ Smmokan - I'm hoping to run a 2.3 on the front and a 2.2 in the rear. I'm battling over whether to upgrade the Blur LTc or Remedy 9. From the other users here it appears that the Remedy is a better candidate for coversion due to the extra room for tire clearance. I'm assuming adding more air to the rear shock would also help limit the amount of travel if tire clearance became an issue.

Thanks Fellas!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Remedy and BB height

Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKDC5 View Post
    @ Jazzanova - Interesting I didn't know that you could use spacers on the shock. I'm sure the LBS is charging a premium to covert this for me. Thanks for pointing out where to go to by the spacer. Cheers!

@ Smmokan - I'm hoping to run a 2.3 on the front and a 2.2 in the rear. I'm battling over whether to upgrade the Blur LTc or Remedy 9. From the other users here it appears that the Remedy is a better candidate for coversion due to the extra room for tire clearance. I'm assuming adding more air to the rear shock would also help limit the amount of travel if tire clearance became an issue.

Thanks Fellas!
    Just be aware the Remedy with 26" wheel has a BB height of 14.1". Adding 650B wheels it's gonna go to at least 14.5". Actually I see the SC is 13.8" with 26" wheels so that's gonna be 14.3" with 650B. Hey, no pedal strike worries on either one
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2