mtbr member
    Nov 2009

650B wheel recommendation for a SC Bronson

I have just bought a SC Bronson carbon and I was looking for some advice on wheels.

On my current bike Mojo HD140 I run DT240s hubs with no tubes flow ex rims. I had crests but found them a little fragile, the flows have been a lot better.

I was thinking of going for some hope hoops but these can only be had with arch ex rims, has anyone got any experience of them, are they any good? Or should I go for some hopes with 650b flows? My budget is about £400 gbp so around $600 usd.

They will only be a temporary stop gap as I will be buying some enve am carbon wheels on DT hubs once the bank balance has recovered from the expense of the new bike, fork, stealth dropper post etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How much do you weigh and what terrain will you be riding? I definitely feel more comfortable on the Arch EX vs. Crest. Congrats on the Bronson!

mtbr member
    I had the Flows on my Heckler before I bought a Bronson and I really really liked them. Probably gonna upgrade down the road to the Light Bicycle carbon or Flows.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    180lbs ready to ride and the trails are a bit rocky in places, one ruined the crest I used to run and the other week someone holed a enve am rim.

My thinking is that on the larger wheel the benefit of the flow would be even greater?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If they're just a stop gap and you feel better about being on on Flows, how about the stock Stans Flow with the No Tubes 3.30 hub? I have these as well as Hope hubs and while I like the Hopes a little better, I've had no issues with the No Tubes hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    If they're just a stop gap and you feel better about being on on Flows, how about the stock Stans Flow with the No Tubes 3.30 hub? I have these as well as Hope hubs and while I like the Hopes a little better, I've had no issues with the No Tubes hubs.
    Cannot find anyone selling them in the UK. I can get arch ex on hope hoops for £284 or a flow ex hope build for about £400.

mtbr member
    I just put a set of Stan's ZTR Flow EX with the 3.30 hubs and Kenda Nevegal 2.35s on my Bronson Carbon last week. I only have about 35mi on them but like them so far. I'm 150lbs geared up so I don't think I have to worry about bending them up.

With the 15mm front and 12x142mm rear adapters, the front weighed 909g and the rear was 979g. My Nevegals were 788g and 804g. Ran them tubeless. I feel like they make for easier, more confident cornering than the Maxxis HR2s.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

Dissolved member
    Why not these? carbon MTB 650B wheel mountain bike 27.5 wheels Light-Bicycle

For some extra $, they can lace them to Hope Pros, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Wheelset | Performance Wheels

Arch EX are great rims. While they're not DH rims they're plenty strong for my AM use with rocks, roots, 5 ft drops to flat on occasion. A great compromise for both lightweight and strength.

Right in your neighborhood. $392 for Hope Pro Evo IIs with Arch EX 650bs. Killer deal.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Why not these? carbon MTB 650B wheel mountain bike 27.5 wheels Light-Bicycle

For some extra $, they can lace them to Hope Pros, too.
    I did look at those but if I am honest i am a brand whore!

Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post

Arch EX are great rims. While they're not DH rims they're plenty strong for my AM use with rocks, roots, 5 ft drops to flat on occasion. A great compromise for both lightweight and strength.

Right in your neighborhood. $392 for Hope Pro Evo IIs with Arch EX 650bs. Killer deal.
    Thanks thats helped me make my mind up. The deal on the hope hoops is good I dont think its worth paying the extra for the flows, especially for stop gap wheels.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    We might have something for you...
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Flow EX is a VERY stout rim. I have had them on a 29er, 27.5, and 26er and never destroyed one yet. I'm about 180lb without gear and I'd say I'm a more finesse rider. I have thrown my bikes into some pretty chunky rock gardens without any issue and had quite a few nasty crashes where I thought I had to have taco'd a wheel and came out 100% true. The Flow EX is my go to Aluminum rim but that being said I would like to eventually build up a set of Light Bicycle carbon rims one day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So, you're on a budget now while contemplating a throw-away med/upper-end wheelset and planning for Enves in the near future? This makes no sense to me. Just buck up and get the Enves sooner if that's what you plan to get. Once you put Flows on it, my guess is you'll never drop the coin for Enves. And why would you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    So, you're on a budget now while contemplating a throw-away med/upper-end wheelset and planning for Enves in the near future? This makes no sense to me. Just buck up and get the Enves sooner if that's what you plan to get. Once you put Flows on it, my guess is you'll never drop the coin for Enves. And why would you?
    TBH I dont class Hope's as medium/upper end. DT240's laced onto Flows or something similar would be mid/upper end. I am only doing it this way as I have just spent the best part of £3.3k on a frame forks and stealth dropper, I want to get out on it as soon as possible while I add more cash to the bike kitty for the Enve's. Especially as they are about £2k on DT hubs. The Hopes with Arch are only £280.

mtbr member

650B wheel recommendation for a SC Bronson

Been running 29" arches (built on CK hubs) for over a year on my rigid El Mariachi. While this bike sees very little all mountain action (got a mojo for that), the wheels have taken a serious beating and are straight as an arrow. I'm 180 fully loaded with gear on FWIW. Would not hesitate to build up a set for all mountain use, although if you like a lot of air time, I might go with flows.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    TBH I dont class Hope's as medium/upper end. DT240's laced onto Flows or something similar would be mid/upper end. I am only doing it this way as I have just spent the best part of £3.3k on a frame forks and stealth dropper, I want to get out on it as soon as possible while I add more cash to the bike kitty for the Enve's. Especially as they are about £2k on DT hubs. The Hopes with Arch are only £280.
    With that killer deal on Hopes with Arches, I say pull the trigger on that and get out there and ride!

usually cranky
    ^+1. awesome deal on arches, and for a stopgap they would be great. i dont think most would even consider arches n hopes a stopgap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would take a look at Syntace W35

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Gotcha. Pay to play. Still, I'd pull out the plastic if I knew I wanted the Enves rather than spend, ultimately, even more for two wheelsets. No affiliation with Enve here

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good news, Hope are now offering Hope Hoops with ZTR Flow EX 650b rims which is the combination I wanted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Where are they offering this? Wiggle?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post

Can anyone that purchased these tell me the axle size that the Hopes ship with? I need 15mm front, 12x142 rear. Did you get hit with import duty by customs?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Where are they offering this? Wiggle?
    They said they have literally just started building them and they are available to order from any Hope dealer listed on the Hope site.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have 650b Arch EX rims with Superstar Switch evo hubs and DT supercomp spokes(self built). I have had those on my Norco Range Killer-B since May now and I do enduro races and bikepark runs, as well as normal trail rides with those, still straight and no dents/problems so far. Nicely light but seems to be quite tough too and no problems of any kind with running tubeless(Schwalbe and Maxxis rubber mostly). I'm not very heavy guy thou(65kg), but similar wheels should be good for heavier use too...

Superstar components has some good deals, check also Justridingalong and CRC offerings...