mtbr member

650b. Is this wheel just right?

The release of Haro's new 650b bike peaked my interest. Had my Christmas budget been a bit more plush I would have already bought one. However, being unable to pull the trigger I was forced to vicariously enjoy the new ride through all the media buzz the mainstreaming of the "Goldilox" wheel was sure to generate (insert soundtrack of chirping crickets here). Looking at four or five "Interbike" overviews in major rags I was surprised to see no mention. Obviously there is some web presence but nothing noteworthy.

Being a regular to the 29er MTBR I hopped on over this section (insert soundtrack of chirping crickets here). Not only is there no Beasley buzz but there is no buzz. The "sub" area for 29ers is posted at a rate of 10 to 1. What's up with the 650b movement, or lack there of? Are they really gaining momentum or is the slight influx of products a result of industry speculation from a few years back now coming to fruition behind the curve.

I know that Haro has sold a fair number of Beasley's in comparison to the limited run. I know that this is the off season. I also know that the 29er floundered in the early days.
    But there are some worrying signs. 29ers really only had to deal with resistance from the 26er camp, the resistance to 650b, however, seems to be two fold. From other post I have made many of the 29er camp feel that 650 is nothing more than a compromise (also, a big chunk of early adopters has buried a lot of capital in the new size, diminishing the market). And, on the other side, many 26ers seem to have dug in their heels after years of mocking the "novelty" wagon wheels.

Hopefully this spring will be big for Haro. If the market does not respond and they get burned that could scare off a lot of people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb1974
    The release of Haro's new 650b bike peaked my interest. Had my Christmas budget been a bit more plush I would have already bought one. However, being unable to pull the trigger I was forced to vicariously enjoy the new ride through all the media buzz the mainstreaming of the "Goldilox" wheel was sure to generate (insert soundtrack of chirping crickets here). Looking at four or five "Interbike" overviews in major rags I was surprised to see no mention. Obviously there is some web presence but nothing noteworthy.

Being a regular to the 29er MTBR I hopped on over this section (insert soundtrack of chirping crickets here). Not only is there no Beasley buzz but there is no buzz. The "sub" area for 29ers is posted at a rate of 10 to 1. What's up with the 650b movement, or lack there of? Are they really gaining momentum or is the slight influx of products a result of industry speculation from a few years back now coming to fruition behind the curve.

I know that Haro has sold a fair number of Beasley's in comparison to the limited run. I know that this is the off season. I also know that the 29er floundered in the early days.
    But there are some worrying signs. 29ers really only had to deal with resistance from the 26er camp, the resistance to 650b, however, seems to be two fold. From other post I have made many of the 29er camp feel that 650 is nothing more than a compromise (also, a big chunk of early adopters has buried a lot of capital in the new size, diminishing the market). And, on the other side, many 26ers seem to have dug in their heels after years of mocking the "novelty" wagon wheels.

Hopefully this spring will be big for Haro. If the market does not respond and they get burned that could scare off a lot of people.
    the troll killer isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, but even so, the troll killer has no clue as to what you just said or even what point (if any?) you were trying to make. heck the troll killer can't even decide if you're a troll or not...

so, the troll killer will just keep it simple and answer your first question:

mbd1974: "650b. Is this wheel just right?"

troll killer: yes.

будьте здоровы!

tk
    Keeping the 650B forum hater free ever since 2008!

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    Go to the Haro forum, and there is a whole thread on the Beasley's. Another reason you might not hear tons of people railing about the Beasleys is because they are a full-rigid bike, which isn't everyones cup of tea.
    The wheel size is right (as you can see by a whole forum dedicated to it), it just might not be the right bike for everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troll killer
    the troll killer isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, but even so, the troll killer has no clue as to what you just said or even what point (if any?) you were trying to make. heck the troll killer can't even decide if you're a troll or not...

so, the troll killer will just keep it simple and answer your first question:

mbd1974: "650b. Is this wheel just right?"

troll killer: yes.

будьте здоровы!

tk
    i see what ur getting at alright..

mtbr member
    ...on the consumer side, I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a set of wheels built up.

mtbr member

To the point

I first started looking into the 650b wheel year and a half ago. At that time, from what I read and heard, it was supposedly up and coming. In that last 18 months the buzz has actually seemed to decrease.

I know a lot of purist are "anti" buzz, which I can understand. But there has be market support. Is it happening? Will it happen? How does the curve compare to the early days of the 29er movement?

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    I first started looking into the 650b wheel year and a half ago. At that time, from what I read and heard, it was supposedly up and coming. In that last 18 months the buzz has actually seemed to decrease.

I know a lot of purist are "anti" buzz, which I can understand. But there has be market support. Is it happening? Will it happen? How does the curve compare to the early days of the 29er movement?

Ask Kirk Pacenti. He'll have a better grasp on the sales and trends than us consumers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    ...on the consumer side, I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a set of wheels built up.
    Me too

mtbr member
    Let's see we've got rims from:
    Stans
    Sun Ringle
    American Classic
    Velocity (2 models)
    Weinmann (possibly two models)
    WTB (in the works)

We've got tires from
    Pacenti - Two models
    Panaracer - Fire XC Pro on the way
    Kenda - Nevegals - Soon?
    WTB - also soon

We've got:
    Haro Beasley
    'Carver Killer B
    Mickey at Spooky Bikes cranking out 650b ready frames
    Soma - B-side en route
    Vassago - Rapscallion (waiting on a fork)
    Lots of custom builders making 650b frames.

Where things are slow is with forks, right now we've got:
    White Brothers
    And
    X-Fusion has given their blessing to run 650bs

But other than that - that's where things lag a bit. Come on Rockshox Manitou, and Fox!

But then again - there are a slew of "compatible" forks already including old Psylos, Fox forks, Pikes, Manitou Nixons and Travis, Magura Wotan, Thor, and of course you could modify a Lefty or a Maverick.

So I'd say things are pretty good for 650b actually. Hopefully they will get even better in 2009.

My two cents on the matter.

Happy New Year Folks!

Cheers,

Mark

ride more
    Mar 2007
    yes, yep, it is....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode my 650b bike on New Years day and one of the cool things about the Neo-Motos is that there is no buzz riding on pavement. So yes I agree that the Beasley would not buzz.

Being a regular to the 29er MTBR I hopped on over this section (insert soundtrack of chirping crickets here). Not only is there no Beasley buzz but there is no buzz.

mtbr member
    Got a Pacenti 650b.
    Carl Strong just started building my second 650b frame, obviously I'll need another set of 650b wheels.
    Plan to own a Ventana El Bastardo 650b by Mid to Late Summer 09.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    We've got tires from
    Pacenti - Two models
    Panaracer - Fire XC Pro on the way
    Kenda - Nevegals - Soon?
    WTB - also soon
    Mark
    And, Schwalbe Racing Ralphs.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Where things are slow is with forks, right now we've got:
    White Brothers
    And
    X-Fusion has given their blessing to run 650bs

But other than that - that's where things lag a bit. Come on Rockshox Manitou, and Fox!

But then again - there are a slew of "compatible" forks already including old Psylos, Fox forks, Pikes, Manitou Nixons and Travis, Magura Wotan, Thor, and of course you could modify a Lefty or a Maverick.
    And a lot of people seem to forget that any 29"er fork is compatible with 650B. If you have having a frame custom built, it could easily be built around any 29"er fork. And if you go rigid, that opens the door even more.

And with the state of the economy, the timing couldn't be worse for the 650b mountain bike. This is a time of belt tightening and companies will not want to extend themselves too far with regards to increasing inventory levels, sku levels...

mtbr member

Economy

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    And a lot of people seem to forget that any 29"er fork is compatible with 650B. If you have having a frame custom built, it could easily be built around any 29"er fork. And if you go rigid, that opens the door even more.

And with the state of the economy, the timing couldn't be worse for the 650b mountain bike. This is a time of belt tightening and companies will not want to extend themselves too far with regards to increasing inventory levels, sku levels...
    That's true with the economy. Not just for production but with consumption as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mike, you're still bringing out your new frames, right? Please?

For those of you who haven't tried 650b or 26 or 29 go try one. In the big scheme of things, bikes are still cheap. Cheaper than day care for a child, cheaper than a mortgage payment, cheaper than alimony, whatever. If you're interested in a 29 ride, or 650b, monstercross, SS, give it a test ride. Give some respect to someone who rides something different and maybe they'll give you a test ride. I had a nice ride on a Pugsley the other day from someone I met at the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    The wheel size is right (as you can see by a whole forum dedicated to it), it just might not be the right bike for everyone.
    Yeah, we kinda sniped the 69 forum, didn't we.
    The 650b compatible frame thread now has more hits than the 69er thread (oops).

nothing relevant to say
    Mickey, i like the new avatar!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Mickey, i like the new avatar!
    Yea... pretty sweet angle!
    Dig the frame too!

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    Mike, you're still bringing out your new frames, right? Please?
    Absolutely! In times of corporate belt tightening, small guys can sometimes have an advantage because they are more flexible and quick(er) to react to market conditions.

mtbr member
    Good point on using a 29er fork with 650b wheels Mike. I was thinking just this the other day and still might do it real soon.