mtbr member

650b vs. 700c question for Kirk Cracked Headtube/Troll Killer et al

Okay so you know that old Kona Fire Mountain I bought recently via Clist for a $100.00?

Welll I couldn't just leave well enough alone and I stripped it down to the frame. I tried before IBike east to see if a 650b with Neomoto would fit in back, but it jus didn't seem to fit.

But just now tonight I put in a 700c in back from my girlfriend's Trek Hybrid and that wheel and tire fit mighty nicely.

Could the 650b with Neomot be that much bigger in overall diameter than the 700c with I think a 38 hybrid tire on it?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

Mark

mtbr member
    yes, the Neo is 710mm, That 38 is probally about 700-703 or so. A Quasimoto may damn well fit in there.

Witty McWitterson
    Mark, depending on where the tight fit is, you may be able to 'fix' it if you're willing to get...um...creative. Find a steel rod/ignot/tube roughly 3" in diameter. Find a big hammer. Put said lunk of steel in the rear triangle. Hit steel with hammer repeatedly until you have clearance.

Or if you have tight tolerance at the stays, find a hack saw. Cut the damned things out. Get out the handy dandy dremel, or better yet, DeWalt grinder, and do away with the nubs left behind.

Now you're going to have to find some FMF brakes to run the bigger wheels, but hay, you only paid $100, why not experiment.

I've done this operation in the past on two bikes. One Kona Humuhumu 26" to 29" conversion, and gave my Hunter 29"er actual mud clearance. They're crude, but they work.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Mark, depending on where the tight fit is, you may be able to 'fix' it if you're willing to get...um...creative. Find a steel rod/ignot/tube roughly 3" in diameter. Find a big hammer. Put said lunk of steel in the rear triangle. Hit steel with hammer repeatedly until you have clearance.

Or if you have tight tolerance at the stays, find a hack saw. Cut the damned things out. Get out the handy dandy dremel, or better yet, DeWalt grinder, and do away with the nubs left behind.

Now you're going to have to find some FMF brakes to run the bigger wheels, but hay, you only paid $100, why not experiment.

I've done this operation in the past on two bikes. One Kona Humuhumu 26" to 29" conversion, and gave my Hunter 29"er actual mud clearance. They're crude, but they work.
    I may experiment with some Mavic brake adjusters, some CX wheels at first.

The other option is to go 26/650b in front.

I bought one of the Kona Project II forks at Bikeman.com's closeout closet for $25.00 - so that was a GREAT deal.

I just found when I rode the Kona in original clothing that it wasn't much fun. It was not all that fast on the pavement compared to riding a 29er on pavement and for off road, well the geometry of the old school set up was WAY too XC oriented for me.

So time to do some winter experimenting with this one. The frame is in such nice shape that I hate to mess around with any type of "manipulation" of it. So Perhaps some type of fireroad cruiser is the way to go with it. Maybe with some inverted Mary bars or maybe this is the time to finally experiment ant try some Midge bars.

cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    yes, the Neo is 710mm, That 38 is probally about 700-703 or so. A Quasimoto may damn well fit in there.
    Do you have a spare/wheel/tire combo that I could test with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Do you have a spare/wheel/tire combo that I could test with?

The xc team stole all of my wheels... I've been stuck riding Either my cross bike or gasp 26" wheeled bikes. 26" wheels are still fun too!

nothing relevant to say
    The Neo to Quasi difference is amaxing when it comes to a conversion. The Neo had NO CHANCE of clearing my Trek 950, but the Quasi: Perfect. I know I was suppose to get pictures of it, and I haven't. too many other projects going on. I'll try to get on the ball.