Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

650b Trek Remedy

Well, I installed a Kirk's P35 Velocity on the front of my 09 Trek Remedy 9 today. Haven't ridden it yet, but I'm excited as hell to. This wheel is so wide that you can fit the width of the Stan's Flow on the back inside the P35. Attached are photos showing how much room is leftover. The pics don't even do it justice - there's tons of room leftover. It actually looks like a 650b might fit in the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b Trek Remedy-img_06551.jpg  

650b Trek Remedy-img_06561.jpg  

650b Trek Remedy-img_06571.jpg  

650b Trek Remedy-img_06581.jpg  

650b Trek Remedy-img_06601.jpg  

www.derbyrims.com
    It looked to me that a 650b would just clear the rear of a Remedy when I did some quick measurements. The chain stay area just next to the rings could be a width issue. If you can measure clear space 1/2 inch radius forward from your current rear 26" Nevegal knobs then the 650b Nevegal should clear.

Cool bike! Bet it rides sweet with the PUSH tuned shock and fork.

mtbr member
    Wowza!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Great looking bike. I'll be patiently awaiting a full ride report.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, I've got about an hour in the saddle with the 650b now. I have to say that I think the difference is beyond noticeable. The problem I always had with the bike before was cornering. It always seem to be unstable in the traction department. Washouts were fairly common and I never felt confident with the traction up front. What I noticed last night was unbelievable traction. I think I was just pushing it to see if it would break loose. I know that I was going into corners much hotter than before. That's not all good because I think I had to overbrake to negotiate the tight singletrack turns. I'm sure I can work on that though.

I can say that I was looking for a smoother ride over all the rocks and roots we have out here on the East coast with the bigger front wheel, but I didn't notice a readily discernible difference. At least I didn't think I did. We have this really tight switchback that is rooted all to hell and it's typically hard to hold your line around the smoother outside. Yesterday, it was as smooth as I can ever remember and holding my line seemed pretty much effortless.

I definitely need more time in the saddle with the 650b, but first impressions seem extremely encouraging. There is one problem though. I first set the front up as tubeless with the Nevegal, but I never could get the bead to seat on the P35 rim. I put it on a compressor and I'm embarrassed to say that I exploded the first Nevegal trying to get it to seat. Luckily I had a friend who had another and I just put a tube in it. It seems the vertical indentions (bead grippers) in the Nevegal sidewall are too close to the bead and air always leaked around the grooves. I'm guessing it's because the P35 is just so wide. Anybody have any recommendations for a tire that will go tubeless on the P35? I think I've heard a lot of people talking about the NeoMoto. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by runjhike
    .... There is one problem though. I first set the front up as tubeless with the Nevegal, but I never could get the bead to seat on the P35 rim. I put it on a compressor and I'm embarrassed to say that I exploded the first Nevegal trying to get it to seat. Luckily I had a friend who had another and I just put a tube in it. It seems the vertical indentions (bead grippers) in the Nevegal sidewall are too close to the bead and air always leaked around the grooves. I'm guessing it's because the P35 is just so wide. Anybody have any recommendations for a tire that will go tubeless on the P35? I think I've heard a lot of people talking about the NeoMoto. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Before converting a tire to tubeless, it helps a lot to mount up a tire with a tube overnight to allow it to stretch out and conform to the rim. Then use lots of soapy water, like 50% dish soap sloshed around the bead and inside the rim to mount tubeless.

I haven't mounted a Nevegal tubeless, but the Neo-Moto's have mounted easily with a floor pump when using "ghetto" rim-strips, except once when I needed a shot of compressed air to get a bead seal going onto my front P35 and rear Blunt 650b rims. The Neo-moto's don't have any "bead-gripper" swipes above the bead like the Nevegals.

Maybe someone else has tubeless mounting tips specific to the Nevegal.
    Last edited by derby; 04-25-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Try the WTB Woverine 2.2. Nice all-rounder tire.

Nice job on the mid-wheel rig. My wife rode the Remedy at the Trek demo and loved it but didn't like the tiny wheels. She's a 29er fan. This year she put almost an hour on the Rumblefish. The Remedy has so much more travel...with those tweener wheels you're gonna have a blast.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Don't blame yourself too much on the kaboom, I've had more problems with non-UST kenda tires failing in a ghetto tubeless setup, than all other brands combined. This is most likely due having such thin/weak sidewalls. I avoid running Kendas now because of this, and have had very good results with all Panaracer tires, including the Neo-Moto which is holding up great. I definitely recommend Pacenti tires, top quality and great performers.

Glad you like the new ride, sure is a beaut!

Oh, and sorry if I missed it, but what's the final build weight?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by runjhike
    Well, I installed a Kirk's P35 Velocity on the front of my 09 Trek Remedy 9 today. Haven't ridden it yet, but I'm excited as hell to. This wheel is so wide that you can fit the width of the Stan's Flow on the back inside the P35. Attached are photos showing how much room is leftover. The pics don't even do it justice - there's tons of room leftover. It actually looks like a 650b might fit in the rear.
    runjhike, I'm not slamming the Nevegal, but I think you'd be impressed with the 2.3 NeoMoto. This is one of the best tires I've used over the years...26" or any other. The P35 and Neo make for a bulletproof tubeless setup IMO. I've been using one on the front of my Nomad for quite awhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A buddy of mine told me about the Wolverine. I might try that later on. For now, I just ordered a NeoMoto, so we'll see how that goes running tubeless.

Since the explosion, I've studied the 650b Nevegal and I can clearly see why it won't seal. The bead grippers are much closer to the bead on the 650b size than they are on the 26". I've been running Kendas tubeless in the 26" variety for a few years now and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. The only reason that I had the Nevegal up front on the 650b was due to a friend being a racer and being able to get me a good deal. Otherwise, my favorite tire around these parts is the Kenda Excavator. The only thing that I've found that is equal in the all-around traction department is the Maxxis Ignitor. Hopefully the NeoMoto will live up to its reputation and will be a keeper for the type of terrain that we have around these parts.

As for build weight, I have no idea right at the moment. The last time it was weighed was a few weeks ago with the stock Rhythm Pro wheels. At that time, it weighed in at 29lbs. Now, I have the P35 up front and a Stans Flow in the back. I'd be surprised if I'm not up to 30lbs, since I think the current set-up is a bit more heavy duty. But the stock wheels and hubs never held up all that well and the traction upgrade to the 650b should make the weight gain well worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry I know this thread is old but did you end putting a 650b on the rear?I have a remedy as well and am thinking about doing this conversion. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by [BTTW]BallsToTheWall View Post
    Sorry I know this thread is old but did you end putting a 650b on the rear?I have a remedy as well and am thinking about doing this conversion. Thanks
    650b rear 29er in front.

bikeboatbrewski
    ^^^ sweet tool boxes

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    650b rear 29er in front.

What year Remedy? Are they all the same back there since the change to the ABP?

Can you take some closeup shots of the stay and RD clearance.....or anything else that's really tight.

Could you fit a 2.3 Neo-Moto in there?

Oh....ride report please
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

jrm
    mtbr member

Holy moly

650b rear 29er in front.

fitting a 2.2 wolverine in back to boot. Yeah more pics
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    how does it handle?
    for me that is the future! or 26/650B up front!

(although steel on 26ers...)

Sail On!
    Can you take some closeup shots of the stay and RD clearance.....or anything else that's really tight.

I second that! Does it have enough clearance for muddy rides? Enquiring minds want to know.
    Would love to buy american as long as it works.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    650b rear 29er in front.

Sweet, you have a Vic Hubbard sticker on your toolbox!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, so where is the ride report? I am turning my 2011 fuel EX into a 69er with a Maverick DUC so I will have 118mm travel up front and 120mm rear. I broke my top fuel 69er and the fuel ex seemed closer in geometry I will have the first ride Friday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, so where is the ride report? I am turning my 2011 fuel EX into a 69er with a Maverick DUC so I will have 118mm travel up front and 120mm rear. I broke my top fuel 69er and the fuel ex seemed closer in geometry I will have the first ride Friday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So still no updates, looking for a new bike and the Remedy is near the top of the list. If it is 650B compatible...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Fuel EX series no way, Remedy's big brother the Slash has plenty of room. Shop I went to recently didn't have a new Remedy but after looking at the Slash I'm hoping the Remedy would fit as well.

Just be aware the Remedy BB height starts out at 13.9". Adding 650B will bring it to 14.4"
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Keen posted up a 650b/29er remedy in this thread - so it has clearance Clarence!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Hello?

Looks like the thread is dead, but would LOVE a response to some of the previous questions regarding clearance, etc., on the Trek Remedy 650b conversion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    Looks like the thread is dead, but would LOVE a response to some of the previous questions regarding clearance, etc., on the Trek Remedy 650b conversion.
    I have run a Pacenti Neomoto, WTB Wolverine and Kenda Nevegal 2.35 in the rear. Clearance is tight running the Kenda but it does clear upper seat stay brace by mm's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast