mtbr member
    Sep 2013

650b tires for desert/rocky riding

Hi guys, im new to the forum and a new MTB'er. I bought a giant talon recently and after about 100 miles of hard desert riding, my stock tires are shot with most of the nubs ripped off or rubbed down. What kind of tire do yall reccommend for these harsh rocky filled conditions? Im move of a cross country rider who just likes to get out and ride. Also, since Im new i know ill get the hack rider comments lol. Im open to any and all advice. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Welcome Jason!

Schwalbe tires are known for having good volume, rolling resistance, and performance.... and very short lifespan. Thankfully there are more good 650b tire options hitting the market practically every week.

The long time staples of the early 650b era for general trail riding have been the Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3 and 2.1 (built on the same casing, so same air volume, but the 2.3 has deeper more aggressive knobs), and the Kenda Nevegal 2.35 and 2.1, maligned by many as being slow rollers, but loved by many as affordable, reliable, and pretty grippy just about everywhere. A lot of people run 2.3 front for grip and stability, and 2.1 rear for better rolling resistance. My personal preference is for the Nevegal 2.35 front & Neo Moto 2.3 or 2.1 rear depending on conditions.

All of these tires are small to medium in today's rapidly evolving tire market.... If you're not really focused on lap times or race results, and want maximum grip, absorption, and fun, you should look at some of the new fatties that are getting good reviews like Vee Rubber Fluids, Flows, and Trail Takers. Also, Maxxis already has a good range of 27.5 tires available that a lot of people really love, like the High Roller II....I've only used the CrossMark from them in 27.5, and it's awesome for a light racy tire, but not ideal in rocky dessert conditions.

What would Tesco do?
    Here in Utah I've run and liked Neo-Motos, Nevegals, and a variety of Schwalbe tires. Nobby Nics are pretty popular 'round here. I'm currently running a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and a Ritchey WCS Shield 2.1 on the back and am pretty happy with that combo. The Dampf is definitely showing it's wear but I got a whole season out of it so no complaints, even though they are a bit on the spendy side. The Shield isn't the grippiest tire on the market but it's a fast light tire that's pretty quick in and out of the corners. When I head down to Moab I still run Neo-Motos front and back with no complaints. Might try some Ardents next trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've had good times with the 2.3 neo-moto's. They seem to hook up well around the dry trails here in western CO. I thought I was going to destroy the sidewalls on some trails, where I killed some maxxis ardents in the past. But they don't show any sidewall damage at all.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey, you guys running the Neo Motos's (2.3 in my case) are you running them tubless and more important what pressure are you using???

This would be for New England terrain. I'm running 27/28 with tubes and no problems but I'm feeling this tire is a bit harsh/bouncy and would benefit greatly if I could drop it down some more

mtbr member
    Tubeless on the rear the Neo Moto's started feeling really good to me around that 27 psi mark and down, but the high speed descents with sharp angular limestone chunk in my area required slightly higher pressures to avoid too-frequent rock punctures... I generally settled around 29 psi and relied on the suspension for absorption

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the welcome! The Neo Motos look pretty sweet for my type of riding.