Thread: 650b Tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

650b Tires

I've taken the plunge and plunked down a significant number of clams for a 650b wheeset for my SC nickel. I love the bike as a 26er but I'm anxious to see how it feels with the bigger wheels. I've been reading as much as i can find about all the 650b tire options but i want to get input from you sultans of mtbr as well.

I would like something with low rolling resistance and decent sidewall strength. Those are probably my main two needs. I would like to run them tubeless with the TL28 rims I'm getting but thats not mandatory. My favorite tire ive been using on my 26 inch wheels is the tubeless version of the maxxis Crossmark in a 2.1 width. If i could buy those in the 650b size i probably would but i only seem to be able to find the non tubeless version, which would likely be shredded by rocks if i ran them tubeless where i ride.

The 2.1 Neo moto seems likeke it may work well for me, how would a neomoto compare to a crossmark? I think they are heavier but i may be ok with that as long as im getting more traction for the weight penalty, but i wouldnt like them if they have a lot more rolling resistance. What would you guys go with? are there similar tires on the market i should consider?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am running a neo-moto up front and a quasi in the back on a 2010 carbon flash with a 100mm 26er lefty and a Bianchi PUSS with the same fork.

The tires are awesome! You can run quasi's front and rear but the neo gives excellent cornering traction.

I run specialized s-works fast trak/front, renegade/rear on my 26 wheels and while the rolling resistance is slightly greater, its barely noticable and the traction gain is 3x with the Pacenti's. Pacenti's are getting hard to find so I scooped up a fresh set recently to have for the future.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by dlavenhagen View Post
    I am running a neo-moto up front and a quasi in the back.
    The tires are awesome! You can run quasi's front and rear but the neo gives excellent cornering traction.

Pacenti's are getting hard to find so I scooped up a fresh set recently to have for the future.
    I run the same setup on my ht. Was thinking to get a fresh set too but the CrossMark and Wolverine were a little more economical.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm not sure about the clearance on the Nickel, but Wolverines are pretty tough and have lots of volume without being boat-anchors. They hook up great but the tread wears down pretty quickly, especially in rocky conditions.
    Maxxis Ardents are available. I have one that I have not mounted yet. I've run then on a 29er and they are tough, have good volume, roll fast and hook up well.
    If you're looking for tough, you probably already know to stay away from Ralphs. I also wasn't too impressed with the Vee Mission I tried regarding toughness.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Going to pick up my Arch Ex's with Wolverines in about an hour. My Nickel will finally be complete.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

650b Tires

Pics or it didnt happen