Thread: 650b tires

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

650b tires

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times so I apologize in advance. I'm interested in trying some 650b wheels on my commuter bike, and so I'm looking for some tires that are extremely low rolling resistance because the bike sees mostly pavement and just a few dirt trails here and there during my commute to work. I know the list of 650b tires is currently short and growing; since I'm new to the 650b universe I was hoping someone could recommend something. A semi slick mountain tire is really what i would love to use. Does anything exist or should I just HTFU and put some neos on it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rivendell Fatty Rumpkin http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=10-086
    Or browse their selection of 650b for something else you might like.
    http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...l#product=none

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the link bolandjd. Those are right along the lines of what I'm looking for. I may even try some racing ralphs.

nothing relevant to say
    Schwalbe also makes the Marathon in a 650B. I have a set in 650B and 650A. whoa. weird. i know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cool, glad its what you were looking for. I wish I had some personal experience with 650b tires to pass on, but alas, I do not. 650b.com has a pretty thorough review of the Fatty Rumpkins. Of course, Grant Paterson likes all of them - he designed most of them (or something like that).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey CH, how do you like the marathon? I've been looking into those a little bit, but Schwalbe's interweb page doesn't list them anymore? btw, I've been doing a little reading on 650b palace- good stuff there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tried the Rumpkins commuting last year and they were ok. I also took them out on hardpack and was surprised how well they stuck. IMO they are best as a bad pavement, rail trail, mild dirt tire.

Compared to a real mtb tire they would be lower rolling resistance but I'm not sure that I would characterize them as "extremely low rolling resistance". On regular city pavement they are comfy but not very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by chazz michael michaels
    I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times so I apologize in advance. I'm interested in trying some 650b wheels on my commuter bike, and so I'm looking for some tires that are extremely low rolling resistance because the bike sees mostly pavement and just a few dirt trails here and there during my commute to work. I know the list of 650b tires is currently short and growing; since I'm new to the 650b universe I was hoping someone could recommend something. A semi slick mountain tire is really what i would love to use. Does anything exist or should I just HTFU and put some neos on it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If it saw any terrain or slight MTB action I actually think the Quasi moto would be a pretty killer commuter tire too...

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Quasi..

The good thing about the Quasi Moto is it's long wearing properties ... the rubber is quite hard and the small knobs roll well on hardpack and pavement... Whilst not in the same class as a WTB Nano for commuting, it does very well nonetheless.

My only proviso on the Pacenti tires is to be aware that the wet grip is waaay down because of the harder rubber compound. Apart from that, they are brilliant tires.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

nothing relevant to say
    Schwalbe also offers this tire.

I have something similar to it in my 'inventory' of tires. I took mine off road and it held well enough to call it an all-surface type tire.

The marathon is a tried and true tire for paved surfaces. It's also nice for the reflective sidewall, for riding near lighted vehicles.

Get some for riding on streets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had been considering some quasi's but was curious if they were good on pavement- glad some of you vets have some experience with them. I'm probably going to try a set out because I want to run some 650b's in a weekly cross series in the fall.

Thanks for all the information and reviews on the scwalbe's, rumpkins, and quasi's- it was exactly what I needed to get going.