Trail Tire TV on blogger

650B taking over the 26ers :)

hey, anyone watched a bunch of these interbike links over on the right side? noticed MANY manufactures are converting a good amount of their 26ers to 650B
    KHS, Norco and Turner just off the top of my head... doesn't look like 650B is just a "fad" anymore
    Last edited by thomllama; 09-28-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think 650b is why there wasn't much "new" stuff being shown at interbike. I suspect there are many companies either working on 650b models that weren't quite ready to show or they are deciding to sit and see which way the industry goes before coming out with new models. It makes sense--if 650b really does take over in the 130-160 segment, why would you spend a bunch of R&D to come out with a new 26" or 29" bike in that range. Even if it's awesome, it might not sell that well. The only "new" models that seem to be coming out other than 650b are carbon upgrades (i.e. Niner RIP, Transition Covert, etc). I suspect that interbike will be a totally different scene with new models in 2013

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Won't take over but believe them to be a very nice complement for those who embrace choice and have an intended purpose for it.am putting together a sweet build wish list for my winter project,torn between Carbine and 275 but leaning towards the 275 because it is dedicated,is chain guide friendly,pressed BB is questionable,sure the Shimano clutch derail is sweet but way to expensive to have to replace,build up weight between the two is negligible.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Won't take over but believe them to be a very nice complement for those who embrace choice and have an intended purpose for it.am putting together a sweet build wish list for my winter project,torn between Carbine and 275 but leaning towards the 275 because it is dedicated,is chain guide friendly,pressed BB is questionable,sure the Shimano clutch derail is sweet but way to expensive to have to replace,build up weight between the two is negligible.
    What about the Norco Sight or Rocky Altitude
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Norco is very nice as is Rocky and Rune which is not Dedicated 650b,I can get Intense at great price and really prefer their design.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Norco is very nice as is Rocky and Rune which is not Dedicated 650b,I can get Intense at great price and really prefer their design.
    Ok, cool just wondering. Have fun with that build, either will be awseome and that Carbine is pure sex on wheels IMO.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The bigger mtk trail bike iterations have taken off, still waiting for the shorter travel xc +/- 120mm. Hoping before 2014 - Fox could be the nudge with a 275xc .

Dissolved member
    Check out this Ibis thread "what shall we build next". 650b is mentioned almost every time.

What should the next 5 models be?

74 & 29 pilot
    I think Instense has got it right having a drop-out system for both 26 and 27.5 wheels; That's one of the main reasons as to why I'm buying one. I guess if you have a 29er and the BB isn't too low you could also run 650b wheels.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    "650B taking over the 26ers "

For me? Yes, two and a half years ago.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    650B is where its at. It used to be that people would thumb their noses at my bike out on the trail but now everyone wants to take a test ride.

I still dig my 26er though. If I had the room I'd get a 29er so I could have a complete set. If I was forced to pick one size, I'd go 650B without even thinking about it.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

dwt
    mtbr member
    I was reading in the Enduro Super D forum that 26'ers were the most popular mounts at the Whole Enchilada Enduro this past weekend.

Anybody ride 27.5" ?? You would think that this type of race is where the mid-size would shine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Ovaries on the Outside
    The thread title reminds me of the unbearably ******y 29er homers. Is that what 650b is coming to?

Hugs...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    What about the Norco Sight or Rocky Altitude
    The RM Ride 9 is a great idea, as is Scott 700 adjustable shock. So those of us with XC backgrounds can ease into slacker HTA. If I had the coin, one of those would be mine, probably Scott due to additional Twin Loc feature.

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I was reading in the Enduro Super D forum that 26'ers were the most popular mounts at the Whole Enchilada Enduro this past weekend.

Anybody ride 27.5" ?? You would think that this type of race is where the mid-size would shine

Unless I had true DH casing 650 tires, I would definitely run 26" as well. Anything less, and you are just asking for trouble on TWE (at this pace).

mtbr member
    I'd rather not see anything being overtaken. It's nice having the adversity, and the choices realistically.

I'd like to take plenty of other bikes on test rides and such, but I have no intentions of buying. I just bought me a FS 26er, my bank account would roundhouse kick me, and disown me if I even thought about another bike.
    2009 Mongoose Teocali Comp