such member

650b SS specific production steel frames?

Last fall I converted a 2001 Lava Dome to SS and immediately fell in love. Now I want to build a SS specific bike.

I have the opportunity to purchase quite a bit of product from a LBS at cost,and I was thinking of building a set of 650b's for the Kona,but would rather not have offset if I'm never going to run gears.I think I would also like a frame designed for 650b,instead of converting a 26".I'd probably go with an Explosif if there aren't any SS specific options.

Are there any 650b SS production steel frames?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I know the new Kona Explosif is, but they are not offering a frame only option yet. Other than that I think it's custom. I'm not sure if Spooky Cycles is making the Horror Taxi anymore.

mtbr member

such member
    Seen the Soma,the Horror Taxi,I have not.They both have cable guides and der. hangers tho,I'm looking for a SS only frame.

Here is a post I just came across that is right in line with what I'm after,only in 650b:
    Options for a clean SS specific steel frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Surly 1x1 is about as close as you're going to find. It has a really low BB with 26x2.1" tires, so the 1/2" that the BB height is raised with 650b makes it perfect. Also it was designed to run tires from 2.1" to 2.7" wide. When you figure that in, a 650b tires is a perfect fit, and almost designed for. Pacenti has even stated that the Surly 1x1 is the best fit in terms of fitting 650b tires onto existing models.
    I understand where you're coming from, and I am in a similar position - done lots of research and "homework" in this direction. I'm getting the 1x1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It's no longer in production, but the Haro Beasley is a 650b specific steel SS frame/bike. You might be able to find either a new or a used one in good condition.
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    I know the new Kona Explosif is, but they are not offering a frame only option yet.
    Sure they are! Your local dealer might not have any available, but check out some online dealers.

Cool Bike Parts and Accessories from the Coast of Maine since 1976

such member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79 View Post
    The Surly 1x1 is about as close as you're going to find. It has a really low BB with 26x2.1" tires, so the 1/2" that the BB height is raised with 650b makes it perfect. Also it was designed to run tires from 2.1" to 2.7" wide. When you figure that in, a 650b tires is a perfect fit, and almost designed for. Pacenti has even stated that the Surly 1x1 is the best fit in terms of fitting 650b tires onto existing models.
    I understand where you're coming from, and I am in a similar position - done lots of research and "homework" in this direction. I'm getting the 1x1.
    That sounds like a great option mhickey! Thanks for sharing your findings.I know I will have tones of homework once I get to the wheel building part.

such member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Wizard View Post
    It's no longer in production, but the Haro Beasley is a 650b specific steel SS frame/bike. You might be able to find either a new or a used one in good condition.
    I did see that bike once or twice while looking for a frame.I'll take another look at 'em

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    They aren't kidding when they say that a 650b 1x1 is a very awesome ride. I put down many thousands of miles on that frame, the vast majority rolling on 650b.

Then I went through two B-Sides (one stolen, the other broken). Now I'm riding the Explosif and love it.

such member
    Quote Originally Posted by durtydurham View Post
    They aren't kidding when they say that a 650b 1x1 is a very awesome ride. I put down many thousands of miles on that frame, the vast majority rolling on 650b.

Then I went through two B-Sides (one stolen, the other broken). Now I'm riding the Explosif and love it.
    I read through the Explosif thread yesterday.I really like that bike.It would be kinda cool to have another Kona.

I'm starting to realize that the rear axle spacing is pretty standard at 135mm,for some reason I thought a SS specific frame would be set up for a shorter axle.If they are all 135mm,then I might be able to live with the cable guides.

mtbr member
    Explosif rear axle spacing is 135. And Kona does make a sliding SS specific dropout (without RD hanger) to clean things up a bit. A Maxle 12x142 axle is also an option with the sliding dropouts, but I don't think that there is a SS version option.

such member
    Thanks guys! I think I'm going with the Surly.

It came down to either the Explosif or the 1x1.While I like the geometry of my trail bike,I think I want something a bit more XC for road and light trail.
    The shop I'm dealing with already stocks Surly as an added bonus! They stock Profile too

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The best bet for a really nice 650B steel single speed frame in my opinion is the Gunnar Ruffian. I had them build me one up last year and I love it.

SixFifty: SIXFIFTY BIKES

The Sixfifty Nekoosa is the same frame as the Gunnar and is made by Gunnar.

such member
    If I like the 650b wheel size (can't imagine I wouldn't) I may look into a custom build like the Ruffian.Looks like the Nekoosa is sold with a suspension fork and has similar geo to the Explosif. I'm going to run a rigid fork for now to keep costs down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good choice, Cornfield! The redesigned 1x1 frame is an even better candidate than the original frame that I converted. More standover, and corrected for 100mm fork instead of 80mm.