mtbr member

650b sightings at Windham World Cup

At the recent UCI Windham World Cup weekend (Windham, NY) here's a few of the 650b news and sightings:

1. Kenda had stamped "prototype" 650b Karma tires mounted on two bikes outside their booth. Kenda will have production Karmas, Slant 6, and the new Honey Badger tires available in 2013.

2. One of the Elite Women representing Costa Rica raced on 650b wheels with Pacenti Quasi-motos on front and back. The bike was a Specialized hardtail converted to 650b.

3. One of the Elite Women representing Great Britain and riding for Velocity has a 650b frame and wheels being prepared for her for the 2013 season. It will be 650b specific frame and not a converted 26-in. wheel dia. She was impressed with the handling of the 650b compared to the 29er being too big to handle and throw around.

derp
    People are finally realizing that 650b wheels are a good alternative for those who don't fit well on a 29er. Everytime i see all those small girls on the XC races with 29'ers i can't stop imagining when i was a kid trying to ride 26'' bikes when i barely fit on the 24''.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    650B has NOTHING to do with the rider. Different tires are better for different trails. I am 6'4" and 240 lbs...what should I ride... Guess what I have three bikes 26,27.5,29 er and each EXCELS at different types of trails. Hell, some are all well suited for the same trail.WTF! Here is more news... Hmmm,what kind of mood am I in? Learn how they feel,then choose yer weapon!
    Flow baby.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmoonracer View Post
    650B has NOTHING to do with the rider. Different tires are better for different trails. I am 6'4" and 240 lbs...what should I ride... Guess what I have three bikes 26,27.5,29 er and each EXCELS at different types of trails. Hell, some are all well suited for the same trail.WTF! Here is more news... Hmmm,what kind of mood am I in? Learn how they feel,then choose yer weapon!
    Flow baby.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Guess what ? I rode a 29er and yes it felt weird ridding one considering i am short and yes, this is the concensus of frame manufacturers. If you are tall you can just make bigger frames regardless of wheel size, if you're short you just can't go shortening the frame without having to make compromises on geometry.

Big wheels are not ideal for small sized people, get over it.

mtbr member
    The rollover benefits of bIgger wheels in rough terrain are good for any size person, the reason that manufacturers are gravitating to 650B is it allows frame design around 5-6" travel AM /EN bikes to work much better than with 299" wheels. The 29er movement was solidly XC based (hard tails and short travel frames driven by bored riders 12 yrs ago) , The 27.5" movement is AM/EN/FR /ADV driven.because 29ers are too big for many LT applications.(including DH) The big difference in the two movements is that 650B does not NEED new frames to work as the 29 movement did, so its being adopted much faster thanks to conversions done by riders that are interested and savvy with wheels all over the spectrum. It has little to do woth sizing of the person, that is a bike shop/marketing reaction to being caught with their knowledge pants down...they have missed it and are trying to ignore it as they have many 29ers to sell first.

bonked
    I'm 6'-5" and at this point, riding a 26er feels like I'm riding a clown bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmoonracer View Post
    650B has NOTHING to do with the rider.
    That's a bit extreme; and Nino Schurter would disagree.

Different tires are better for different trails. I am 6'4" and 240 lbs...what should I ride... Guess what I have three bikes 26,27.5,29 er and each EXCELS at different types of trails. Hell, some are all well suited for the same trail.WTF! Here is more news... Hmmm,what kind of mood am I in? Learn how they feel,then choose yer weapon!
    I'm 5'10" 180 lbs. and can agree with this completely. But apparently there's a cut off at some point below my height where 29" is hard to fit and not comfy for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    My girlfriend is 5'5, she has a 29er and a 26er. But the 26er will become a 650Ber if I can fit a quasimoto into the frame. She likes the bigger wheels rolling over stuff fine, but she's got long legs and runs a higher saddle height than conventional wisdom would dictate so the standover issue on small 29ers isn't a problem for her. She hasn't had much time yet this season though to ride her 29er and 26er back to back on the same trails, one day after the other as it were, to see which suits her better for that particular trail and her riding style.

Myself on the other hand, I have practically every type of bike one could want other than a big travel AM/FR/DH rig, and a singlespeed (those types of bikes, other than perhaps an AM setup, just don't interest me). I have a full ridig 29er, a Salsa Dos Niner softtail, and a Salsa Spearfish full suspension. I have a Haro beasley hardtail as well as a converted full carbon 650B full suspension. And I have a large assortment of 26ers. 65% of the time I ride the 650Bs and 30% of the time the 29ers and the other 5% is split between my cross bike, road bike, fat bike, and the half dozen 26ers.

Its strange... in road biking...fitting the BIKE and wheel size to the rider is perfectly accepted. But in mountain biking there's this stigma now about wheel sizes and arguing whether its terrain driven, marketing driven for suspension travel, or actually truly rider style/size driven.

Yes 29er full suspensions top out around 140mm wheel travel due to frame geometry issues, and yes 650Bs fitting in practically any 26er AM/FR/DH platform already with no wheel travel loss (because the existing and near future choices of 650B tires are still smaller in diameter than the largest 26er tires these frames/forks are usually designed to handle) is going to be a popular segment of the bike sales market but there will definitely be lots of XC/Trail bikes using the format also.

Nino's reasoning for using 650B are well publicized and with multiple world cup wins now this season and leading the points series... you'd think that'd shut up people trying to argue that its got nothing to do with rider size (usually 29er fanboys who will now talk ill of any alternative to their bikes), but apparently some people just like to stick their feet in their mouths.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    To say wheel size is irrelevant to rider size is pretty short sighted.

It's truly funny to me that so many people have such strong and polarizing opinions about wheel size. Why does anyone care so much? I don't get the emotional attachment to the size of a set of bicycle wheels. It actually shows a bit of mental instability, IMO. When I see the posts from people that are so anti one and pro another I typically just discount that post as nonsense. I'm guessing there are a lot of others who do the same.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent SS
    Sette Razzo

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    To say wheel size is irrelevant to rider size is pretty short sighted.

It's truly funny to me that so many people have such strong and polarizing opinions about wheel size. Why does anyone care so much? I don't get the emotional attachment to the size of a set of bicycle wheels. It actually shows a bit of mental instability, IMO. When I see the posts from people that are so anti one and pro another I typically just discount that post as nonsense. I'm guessing there are a lot of others who do the same.
    Well said.
    I've said it before and I'm saying it again: Each size has it's benefits and weaknesses, none is going to be an end all size. Anyone who says that one size is all around better is speaking only from their riding preference.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Let's throw running two different size wheels into the mix of the line of reasoning going into this thread...,

where is the rule that says you have to run the same size front and rear?

99%of all offroad motorbikes made within the past 30 years have a slightly larger front wheel for very good reason. And i myself have been enjoying either 27.5fr/26rr or lately 29fr/27.5rr since about 2008. I prefer my bikes ghetto tubeless too but I still carry a 26" tube spare in my camelback since it will work with all three wheel sizes, so having to carry multiple spare tubes is not an excuse to give asymmetrical wheels a try....as a weird tangent, the tapered steer tubes that are all the recent rage have a very long motorbike history as well, example is my '77 RD400 that has a reputation of being one of the better handling bikes of its era has a tapered steerer thats right at 1-1/8 to 1.5....go figure! Haha makes me think there's really nothing new under the sun!!!

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    Let's throw running two different size wheels into the mix of the line of reasoning going into this thread...,

where is the rule that says you have to run the same size front and rear?
    What if i have OCD ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    What if i have OCD ?
    See a doctor?