Not dead yet, just playin

650b Scale backup plan #1: 26er Scale?

That bikerumor article didn't help with my patience to keep waiting for the 650b Scale. One of the comments to that article seems to say that a 26er Scale can take a 650 rear wheel. Can anyone here actually confirm that. If it does fit (I bet it'll be tight) what's the BB height?

Short story is I want a carbon hardtail that will fit 650s with a BB height of about 12in and built up to ~20-21lbs. A 650 Scale would be perfectly awesome, but if Scott screws us over, I want to have some idea of other options...

Edit: forgot to say that I need a ETT of around 560mm. If on-one made their 14" Whippet, it'd work, but I've only seen 16" as their smallest size for sale.
    Last edited by ohpossum; 06-08-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member

Scott Scale frame

At the LBS, I tried my 650b rear wheel on a 2010 Scott Spark and a Scale in for repairs. Neither would fit because of the support on the rear triangle. I did not take any pictures or any measurements. But this weekend, at the local xc race, I'll see if I can find the same bikes, slip the 650b in, and get some pics for you.

just some guy
    Since Scott is out of the game I figure I'm gonna get either a high-end Ti frame, or a Spooky hardtail as a more affordable option.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    Since Scott is out of the game I figure I'm gonna get either a high-end Ti frame, or a Spooky hardtail as a more affordable option.
    If Adrain Montgomery truly has been reviewing this forum, the feedback pretty much unanimously points to the absolute necessity of 2013 Scale, and the great desirability of 2014 Spark and Genius.

Not producing a 2013 Scale in my lay and uninformed opinion would be a mistake of "epic" proportion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

pissappointed

Yeah ive been on hold hoping to get the 650b scale.May have to go with original plan and get Niner air nine RDO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    They waited and nailed the geometry of the Scale 29er.It may be worth an extra year.
    Certainly was for my 29er Scale and Anthem X 29er. Both late adopters but nailed it when they entered the market. Much easier to get 650B right though as it's just a tweak on the current 26" format and they wont have to try and make it handle like a 26" bike to be accepted in to the market. The downfall of the early adopters of 29er designs.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    Yeah ive been on hold hoping to get the 650b scale.May have to go with original plan and get Niner air nine RDO.
    That or the Foundry Broadaxe look pretty good to me. My trails have a lot of tight switchbacks and sudden, short steep hills and such, for which you need to be able to accelerate rapidly and not rely on momentum - I'm thinking 650b might be better.