mtbr member
    Apr 2007

650B rims, lots of questions

Jenson has two different 650B rims in the catalog:

- some no-name 650b off center for 55,84$
    - and the Blunt for 64,99$

http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=650b

Are they the some thing?
    or do they actually differ in weight/width ?

Where else can i get 650b rims ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Stans ZTR 350 rims with Neo-Moto tires. Just had built and put on my ridged SS. They are awsome!! The ride is way better than my old 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavolpeeluva
    Jenson has two different 650B rims in the catalog:

- some no-name 650b off center for 55,84$
    - and the Blunt for 64,99$

http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=650b

Are they the some thing?
    or do they actually differ in weight/width ?

Where else can i get 650b rims ?

Thanks
    The off center one's are Velocity's too--Synergy is the model name. They're rim-brake compatible and have been around since Rivendell first re-introduced the 650b wheelsize 2 or 3 years ago. I have them on my Saluki (650b road bike) and they've been fine for over 4,000 miles.

When I get my 650b mountain bike, most likely I will go with the Stan's rims...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    The off center one's are Velocity's too--Synergy is the model name. They're rim-brake compatible and have been around since Rivendell first re-introduced the 650b wheelsize 2 or 3 years ago. I have them on my Saluki (650b road bike) and they've been fine for over 4,000 miles.
    I guess they are not suitable for MTB applications

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I guess they are not suitable for MTB applications

Not so. They are 24mm wide and work just fine for XC applications. I have been riding the 28* version built into Cane Creek Zonos Team Disk wheels for a while now with no problems what-so-ever.

I had also run these on some of my 26" MTB's in the past. The OC ones were designed for the rear wheel but work well for the front wheel too, if you are running disk brakes.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

PacentiCycleDesign

nothing relevant to say
    Bikelugs.com also offers the Sun Equalizer 650B.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1
    I have a year on the Synergy/Neo-Moto combination and it was pretty good. Phenomenal tire. Both standard and OC versions of the rims are available. Both of mine were standard.

Last month I built up a set of Stan's ZTR's and this is a great rim. Lightweight and easy to run tubeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Not so. They are 24mm wide and work just fine for XC applications. I have been riding the 28* version built into Cane Creek Zonos Team Disk wheels for a while now with no problems what-so-ever.

I had also run these on some of my 26" MTB's in the past. The OC ones were designed for the rear wheel but work well for the front wheel too, if you are running disk brakes.

Cheers,

KP

mtbr member
    CH - what rims are on the Ti Mambo Sun @ I.B. on your site?

ALSO - anyone hear about availability of the WTB Laser Disk Trail 650b rims?
    From what I have researched, they are a similar weight and width to the EQ27, but more durable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    +1
    I have a year on the Synergy/Neo-Moto combination and it was pretty good. Phenomenal tire. Both standard and OC versions of the rims are available. Both of mine were standard.

Last month I built up a set of Stan's ZTR's and this is a great rim. Lightweight and easy to run tubeless.
    I beg your pardon: what is meant with "OC"? (tubeless?)

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I beg your pardon: what is meant with "OC"? (tubeless?)

OC = Off Center.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

PacentiCycleDesign

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where to get rims?

LBS
    bikelugs.com
    universalcycles, bikeman, notubes, aebike, many more if you google

mtbr member
    Just to throw in my two cents.........I've had a Synergy rim on the back of a Carver bike I've been riding all summer and it has held up super well. And that's saying something as our trails are pretty damned rocky and rooty. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it held up and by how well it felt on the bike.

mtbr member
    I've got a set of Stans 355 ZTR 650b rims, laced up with DT Swiss Competition Double Butted spokes and the Industry Nine Classic Hubs. Running a Neo up front and Quasi in the rear. I've hammered the hell out of the wheels since I started rolling on a 650b and the wheels are true, round and solid!!!

After some of the rocky trails I recently rode in Pisgah and the beating I put the wheel set through I really expected to the wheel set to be knocked up and out of true... especially after the night decent of Black Mtn., but much to my surprise they're perfectly true, round and didn't need touching up at all. Of course the guy (Matt at Ultimate Bike) who built up my wheel set did a bang up job and I know without a doubt his experience and knowledge is a huge reason why this wheel set I have... is so damn good!
    Last edited by Mickey650b; 10-17-2008 at 11:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The stans are great and light. But I switched to heavier/beefier Sun Ringle EQ27s and they are also pretty awesome... About 500g a rim, well made, high quality.