mtbr member

650b rear fit 09 Stumpjumper FSR Comp......Well Sorta

Today I went down to Slippery Pig bikes in Phoenix Arizona, since they were cool enough to let me test fit a set of 650's on my 09 Stumpjumper FSR comp. We tested the wheels with Neo Motos, Nevegals and IRD/Panaracer Fire XC's. As I figured the Fox fork worked with all the tires, but the rear in both my opinion and the shops the 2.35 Neo's and Nevegals were too close for comfort. There was ever so slight contact with the knobs on the seatstays, that may or may not had to do with manufacturing tolerance. The chainstays appeared that any such deflection of the wheel would make contact with the welds close to the bottom bracket. Since I did not want one black and one red tire, I went with the Fire XC 2.1's front and rear. I'm sure that I will be changing to 2.35 fronts very quickly with all the rocks in Arizona. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. On a side note, while waiting, I got to test ride a Calfee Bamboo road bike. For you roadies that also mountain bike, if you ever get a chance to ride ones of these beauties go for it. They are so comfortable. Compared to my stiff Cannondale CAAD9 I fell in love after a few minutes.
    Oops almost forgot the wheels I bought are from a Haro Beasley 1x9 for a good price.

Standard 26 inch setup

650b setup

Chainstay clearance

Seatstay clearance

Last edited by jvm051; 06-25-2009 at 08:28 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Did they still have the Ventana El Bastardo? If I could sell my 29er SS I'd be buying that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051
    Today I went down to Slippery Pig bikes in Phoenix Arizona, since they were cool enough to let me test fit a set of 650's on my 09 Stumpjumper FSR comp. We tested the wheels with Neo Motos, Nevegals and IRD/Panaracer Fire XC's. As I figured the Fox fork worked with all the tires, but the rear in both my opinion and the shops the 2.35 Neo's and Nevegals were too close for comfort. There was ever so slight contact with the knobs on the seatstays, that may or may not had to do with manufacturing tolerance. The chainstays appeared that any such deflection of the wheel would make contact with the welds close to the bottom bracket. Since I did not want one black and one red tire, I went with the Fire XC 2.1's front and rear. I'm sure that I will be changing to 2.35 fronts very quickly with all the rocks in Arizona. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. On a side note, while waiting, I got to test ride a Calfee Bamboo road bike. For you roadies that also mountain bike, if you ever get a chance to ride ones of these beauties go for it. They are so comfortable. Compared to my stiff Cannondale CAAD9 I fell in love after a few minutes.
    Oops almost forgot the wheels I bought are from a Haro Beasley 1x9 for a good price.

Standard 26 inch setup

650b setup

Chainstay clearance

Seatstay clearance

How close it the FR der. in granny ?? This is the spot I thought mine would hit.

mtbr member
    Please give us your post-ride impressions!

mtbr member
    I will check the front dr when I get home. Ride impressions will have to wait till Saturday. Going road riding tonight

mtbr member
    The Front Dr does not make any contact with the IRD 2.1 tire. Nor does it make contact with the fork crown when the Fox fork has had the air removed from it. I swapped to a 2.35 Nevegal for the front today, and did find the center knob does rub the crown when the fork has had all the air removed and weight put on it. Im not worried as I have never got close to bottoming out the fork but if your worried this is something to think about. I plan on riding my usual trail Saturday morning, so I will report back.

mtbr member

First ride impressions

I cut my ride short at about 12 miles today since it was about 110 degrees out but here are my first ride impressions of the 650b setup.

Front wheel- I did notice that climbing over rocks and some areas that required more rider input were easier to clear. It seems to track quite well

Rear wheel- I'm not really sure yet. The rear did feel a bit flexier that the 26 wheel on my bike, but not to the point of annoying.

Overall- I'm sold on the front wheel but not so sure on the rear. So if anyone is interested in a rear wheel with a IRD Fire XC with one ride on it for a great price let me know. I will be out with the misses on her first Mt bike ride early Sunday AM so I'm sure it will be a slow ride, where I can test out slow speed maneuvers while I am waiting for her.

mtbr member

Update

I decided to head back out to the trail with my 26in wheels, and found that for my bike I actually like how it performs better than with the 650b's. Even the added benefit of being able to roll over obstacles with the 650front was not as noticeable after switching back. To me it just seemed eaiser to whip around with the bike with the 26in. That being said I have the wheels and tires posted in the classifieds in case anyone is interested in a complete wheelset and tires. Also open to trades. I would like to keep it local to Arizona but If I do not get any bites by Sunday evening I have boxes and can ship.
    Last edited by jvm051; 07-12-2009 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I was over on craigslist - phoenix last week and saw a set 650B wheels for sale and was kinda curious if they were yours. Thanks for posting up your conversion. I was in SMC a couple of months ago and noticed that the FSR would be a nice conversion candidate.

I decided to head back out to the trail with my 26in wheels, and found that for my bike I actually like how it performs better than with the 650b's. Even the added benefit of being able to roll over obstacles with the 650front was not as noticeable after switching back. To me it just seemed eaiser to whip around with the bike with the 26in. That being said I have the wheels and tires posted in the classifieds in case anyone is interested in a complete wheelset and tires. Also open to trades. I would like to keep it local to Arizona but If I do not get any bites by Sunday evening I have boxes and can ship.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=36684&cat=10

mtbr member

Good job!

I decided to head back out to the trail with my 26in wheels, and found that for my bike I actually like how it performs better than with the 650b's. Even the added benefit of being able to roll over obstacles with the 650front was not as noticeable after switching back.
    Yeah 25mm of added radius does not work so easily. Perhaps this the time to check these bad boys form Specialized.
    2010 SJ FSR 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    Yeah 25mm of added radius does not work so easily. Perhaps this the time to check these bad boys form Specialized.
    2010 SJ FSR 29er

Does not work easily? What does that mean. It doesn't even make sense. If 1.5" didn't work easily for this guy, then what makes you think an additional 1.5" is going "to work easy." He has a set-up he likes, gave a different size a shot, and it doesn't work for him. I'd stick with what works for me too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    I was over on craigslist - phoenix last week and saw a set 650B wheels for sale and was kinda curious if they were yours. Thanks for posting up your conversion. I was in SMC a couple of months ago and noticed that the FSR would be a nice conversion candidate.
    Yup those were mine, I had hoped to sell locally, but everyone that said they wanted them on Craigslist flaked when I responded to their emails. I would really like to try a 650b wheelset that was higher up the food chain than the set from the Haro Beasley. Nothing wrong with them. but the heavy duty DT swiss front skewer with the Specialized Stout front hub does wonders if you don't have a 15qr or 20 through axle. The rear hub on the 650b's is the same as on my Stumpy Comp,just a non-branded Shimano with centerlocks instead of the 6bolt and with the bigger wheels, they feel flexy on my bike which imho already has a bit of flex in the rear, so it just amplified the feel. Maybe if I had the $$$ to build up a Chris King hubbed rear and use my current front hub on some 650b's it might make a difference, but that will have to wait. I have started building a SS hardtail, to keep me occupied until it cools down a bit in Aridzona. The road bike is getting more use right now due to the heat.

jrm
    mtbr member

Any other 08-09 FSR Enduro conversions out there?

Standard 26 inch setup

650b setup

Chainstay clearance

Seatstay clearance

because IMO after looking at the FSR geometry this looks like one of the better conversions out there. Has anyone else done this conversion and stuck with it? ride impressions? long term reviews? Pictures?

dirtbag
    Thread resurrection.

I have an '08 Stumpy FSR with the same frame/suspension design and was thinking of a 650b conversion. To reiterate jrm: Has anyone else done this conversion and stuck with it? ride impressions? long term reviews? Pictures? Bueller?
    Amolan

mtbr member
    I would be curious to see if the 2.1 Neo-Moto would work in the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am awaiting a 2.1 Neo, should be here any dat now. The 2.3 on the 2011 Stumpy had plenty of side room, but the center knobs grazed the seat tube stays too much and I didn't want to cut them down. The 2.1 Nreo should have a slightly narrower diameter 1-2mm.

jrm
    mtbr member

As lame a comparison as it is

the 2.1 neo mounted on a 2nd gen blunt clears my 08' 5 spot with room to spare. Best rear tire to date.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    because IMO after looking at the FSR geometry this looks like one of the better conversions out there. Has anyone else done this conversion and stuck with it? ride impressions? long term reviews? Pictures?
    Just curious are you still running this same setup on the 09 stumpy? How do you like now?
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

mtbr member
    I'm three years deep on my conversion of fsr stumps to 650b and just went back to 26 about a month ago. For high-speed and jumping and super-tech riding, the lower bb trumps the wheel size for me. I've been loving the 650b on the stump but a 2.5 front tire fixes a lot of the bogging-down issues I had with 26. While converting is viable and gives you a quick/cheap way to check out 650b, proper fork trail, bb height and tire clearance make going back to 26 on my daily-driver a good choice. For racing, especially endurance stuff (12-24hr, 100milers) I think the 29 makes the most sense for me. It's not what I would ride most of the time and it's not what I prefer when trying to nail a jump or just party with buddies but when you are dead tired, the inherent stability of the 29 saves me.

It's all good...

mk