Thread: 650b Plowboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

650b Plowboy

Iíve been following the 650b wheels discussions since their debut last year and decided I wanted to evaluate their performance myself. So I initially built up a 1x1 which is a great 650b platform. I enjoyed the ride a lot more than I thought I would Ė Iíve been riding 29ers exclusively for the past 2 Ĺ years. I came across this sweet 26 inch Soulcraft Plowboy which converted nicely into a 650b ride. Absolutely love this bike. I have been riding it exclusively since I built it up at the beginning of January. I ride mostly tight single track and the 650b wheels are perfect fit. The neo-motos are fantastic - thanks Kirk! The 29er movement might have grown at a faster rate if a more aggressive tire had been available from the start (note that I didnít say better Ė the nano is a great tire).

Will I abandon 29ers? No way. But there is definitely room in the stable for a 650b bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    that's a good lookin bike!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler
    Iíve been following the 650b wheels discussions since their debut last year and decided I wanted to evaluate their performance myself. So I initially built up a 1x1 which is a great 650b platform. I enjoyed the ride a lot more than I thought I would Ė Iíve been riding 29ers exclusively for the past 2 Ĺ years. I came across this sweet 26 inch Soulcraft Plowboy which converted nicely into a 650b ride. Absolutely love this bike. I have been riding it exclusively since I built it up at the beginning of January. I ride mostly tight single track and the 650b wheels are perfect fit. The neo-motos are fantastic - thanks Kirk! The 29er movement might have grown at a faster rate if a more aggressive tire had been available from the start (note that I didnít say better Ė the nano is a great tire).

Will I abandon 29ers? No way. But there is definitely room in the stable for a 650b bike.
    NICE! Have you sent these pics to Sean?
    ďThose that say it canít be done should get out of the way of those doing it.Ē

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Gambler,
    Nice convert but unless I am mistaken you are all the way back on chain adjustment to fit the bigger wheel. Will you need to mess around w half-links etc if you stretch it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Henry - keen eye observation on the sliders. Yes, they are all the way back. I got lucky with the gearing, I'm running a 34/20 which suits the terrain that I ride quite well. There is some room to ru the wheel closer to the chain and seat stay bridges, but I prefer to keep as much space as possible. A half link would be a good option if I choose to change gearing.

NedwannaB

Looks & Rides Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler
    I came across this sweet 26 inch Soulcraft Plowboy which converted nicely into a 650b ride. Absolutely love this bike. I have been riding it exclusively since I built it up at the beginning of January. But there is definitely room in the stable for a 650b bike.
    Hey Gambler, I was spoiled from the short test ride I did while we were over showing you my bro's Sycip Tandom. I've been seraching for a frame to copy your build, no luck so far.

JM

mtbr member

Just thinking

Gambler, not to hijack your thread but I'm thinking I might call Paragon Machine and ask them if there's a technical reason why they couldn't lengthen the slider droupout piece by, say 1/2-3/4 inch (the piece that's bolted on the inside with the two hex bolts--not the piece welded to the bike), which would effectively lengthen the chainstay of the bike allowing the bigger wheel tire combo--I'm guessing on some bikes you could even squeeze a 29" in there if they could get 3/4. That way we can still use the adjustment nut to take up chain slack. Right now on my Dean I've got an effective chainstay length of 16.5" with the slider pushed all the way in toward the bb, and 17" with it pushed all the way back--but like you would not have any adjustment room if I have to put it back.

I'm guessing they would just have to machine up a new longer piece and it would bolt in.

Can any of you guys think why that would not work?