Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

650b OS Blackbuck, WTB rims, hubs and Wolverine 2.2 tires!

Okay, So I had someone build me some wheels. They are prototype rims and tires, but that's all I'm going to say right now. I've never been on a 650B and I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I have been riding 29er for over 4 years now, and I currently have a Voodoo Canzo and a Custom HT. I'm especially interested in comparing my rigid 29er HT SS, with the one I'm building up.

If all goes well on Saturday, I'll be riding it and maybe taking a few pictures. This is costing me more than I would have liked (for a new bike), so I'm hoping that the wheel format won't let me down. I don't want this to have been an expensive (failed) experiment.

Anyway, wish me luck!
    Last edited by Wish I Were Riding; 12-08-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Fixed title to be mo-betta for spreading 650b info

mtbr member
    prototype rims and tires - but what frame are they going on? hardtail? FS? Rigid, front suspension?

Oh and Good Luck!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    prototype rims and tires - but what frame are they going on? hardtail? FS? Rigid, front suspension?

Oh and Good Luck!!!
    Rigid. I will be able to directly compare 650B rigid SS to 29er rigid SS. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Frame will be???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Frame will be???
    OS Blackbuck?

mtbr member
    Awesome! You've got good connections! Can't wait to read the report. Be sure to snap pics too please. I'm assuming the Blackbuck you'll be riding is the 650b specific model that I saw in the Interbike photos.

Makes me also speculate on the rim/tire combo as well.

nothing relevant to say
    If Its a Blackbuck he's probably testing the WTB 650B gear. Its just goes hand in hand. I know your speculations, there MMcG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, so I wanted to sound a little cryptic. I want to pretend I matter in the grand scheme of things, but the truth is I really don't. Oh well.

I ended up with the opportunity to buy the Of Spirit Blackbuck 650B frame and rigid fork when the original InterBike purchaser backed out (at least I think that's what happened). I decided I would go for it. I believe that the geometry is going to be great for me. I don't know about the wheel size format, but I guess I'm willing to give it a go.

The gear is indeed WTB stuff shown at InterBike. I was told that these items (rims and tires*) are expected to be released in the Fall of 2009 if all goes well. Here is the info on the wheels I had built:

LaserDisc Trail 650b Rims*
    DT Competition 14g db spokes w/ DT alloy nipples
    LaserDisc Lite Front Hub
    LaserDisc Single Duty Rear Hub
    Wolverine 2.2 650b Tires*

I don't think there is enough info on the WTB hubs, so I thought this was also a good time to try them out and provide additional feedback to the SS forum.

I will also be getting 2 of the Neo-Moto tires to try out.

I had hopes of getting a lighter, more comfortable and fun bike, to directly compare to my 29er SS. I don't think its actually going to be much lighter though. Anyway, I'll take some scale readings and some pictures this weekend.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Not wanting to totally steal your thunder of a new build, I thought I'd put up a little teaser.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Not wanting to totally steal your thunder of a new build, I thought I'd put up a little teaser.

Hey, that must be mine then!?! Post up all you want.

And I'll see you tomorrow!

Oh yeah, now (although we've not officially met) I know who ssmike really is too.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Hey, that must be mine then!?! Post up all you want.

And I'll see you tomorrow!

Oh yeah, now (although we've not officially met) I know who ssmike really is too.
    That's enough of a teaser for folks until tomorrow. It'll look much better as a complete bike instead of wheels in a frameset. Hasta manana!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like another 650b xc race tire on the way. Good news!

mtbr member
    I'm really looking forward to this build and the ride review of this bike!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, ssmike helped us build it up this morning. Got everything put together, had pizza, and went for a ride. 19 rolling miles with only 2000~ish feet of climbing.

This bike has shorter cranks, harder gear, and smaller wheels than my 29er.

I need to do some local ride before I post a lot more. The geo felt really good. I guess I always look like a dufus on the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    That thing is hott...

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike! What's all that green stuff all around you, though? (it's 18 degrees and snowing outside as I type this)

A closer shot of the tire's tread would be cool if you get a chance...

Eating Hot Pockets
    <-------- JEALOUS!

when you decide you're too much of a 'dufus' for the bike, give me a shout!

nothing relevant to say
    the tire is a Wolverine 2.2" A tread WTB introduced in 2007 as a 26".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF

A closer shot of the tire's tread would be cool if you get a chance...
    This is WTB's page for their 26" tires.

Wolverine 2.2 http://www.wtb.com/products/tires/xcracing/wolverine/

mtbr member
    Thanks, looks like a decent tread. WTB makes good tires!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Went for another ride. The first thing I HAVE to change is the grips. The rigid fork is a great deal, and I think it looks good too, but I don't think it is the most compliant fork. The Ergon GX-1 grips are not very soft. They are comfortable, but when the going gets bumpy (and it does) they are not soft or forgiving and my hands are getting torn up. So I'll have to change that soon.

Comment about the WTB Single Duty hub. This thing is QUIET!!! I've read all the threads in the SS forum about quiet hubs, this one should be mentioned! I was very suprised and happy. I actually didn't realize it until today's ride. I snuck up on a Bobcat. My 28er has a Hope Pro II Cassette hub, and it would have scared the Bobcat away for sure.

Tires are heavy, because they have wire beads. I think the tread pattern is working good and I was cornering well today. However, the dirt conditions are almost perfect and I'm not the greatest rider.

mtbr member
    Good looking bike right there.

On Friday I received a 1x9 Beasley from Downhill Jill for a little bit of testing and a review over at www.ridemonkey.com - the Cherry Red paint is sweet.

I was only able to squeeze in a half hour ride due to a busy schedule of hockey games for my kids, but again that Beasley's a fun bike! I think I need more ride time on it to get a true sense of how the haro rigid fork rides for a good long jaunt in the woods though.

The bike handled excellent and the fit on the 18" frame is very good for me at 5'9" tall.

More to follow as I get more time on it.

I'd love to be able to compare the Black Buck with proprietary fork with the curved blades to the segemented Haro fork.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tried to change the title. Can this NOT be done?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I tried to change the title. Can this NOT be done?
    Try it in Go Advanced when doing your edits

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try it in Go Advanced when doing your edits
    I tried that, but it just changed the title of that post, and not the title of the thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast