Thread: 650B Nomad

mtbr member

650B Nomad

I have a shot of picking up an 08 Nomad pretty cheap. I'd love to be able to do a full 650B bike, any shot of a 650B fitting in the rear? Neo Moto or Quasi would be fine.

Ideally I'd like to build up a longer travel 650B, I think it would be a fun fun bike, I'm fairly sure it fits in the back of a bullit, but that is probably a bit too aggressive for what I want.

If the nomad doesn't work, any other idea's for a decent longer travel frame that would work? I'd like 5+ inches, and I know as a worst case scenario a Ventana will work. That's some worst case scenario heh.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure but I think VPP and 650b aren't a happy mix these days in terms of fitting a 650b in the rear end on say a Blur or Nomad etc. Etc.

I suspect TNC here can shed way more light on the matter though as I think that he rides a Nomad with a 650b in front only.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Oh and for other alternatives look at Cannondale Prophets, and also the Marin Quad frames - they both work!

Or try and find a used Ventana El Chamuco if you can!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Oh and for other alternatives look at Cannondale Prophets, and also the Marin Quad frames - they both work!

Or try and find a used Ventana El Chamuco if you can!
    Hmm a prophet could be fairly cool, as well as the Marins, I've always liked the look of those Quad XC frames. I was afraid of the VPP being a no go, but was thinking about the Heckler as well.

Choices choices!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Didn't i read in the list of compatible bikes that will fit heckler, not sure which model year.
    List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers

mtbr member
    Yup the Heckler works, at least it is supposed to. That is pretty much going to be a fallback option.

I may just wait a bit until I can swing a purpose built 650B like the Bastardo.

mtbr member
    I wonder where Vassago is with their Rapscallion 650b FS frame's development?

That's another one to inquire about as to where they may be in terms of a timeline for release of that frame. Perhaps lack of fork choices is delaying it.

Trophy Husband
    There are several custom builders that use Ventana rear ends that might take a shot at 650B.

Curtlo FS custom frames are 1595 and Walt Works custom FS frames are 1850...and, of course, these are custom built for you .
    Extreme stationary biker.

TNC
    noMAD man

No 650B on Nomad rear.

As Mc stated, it works great on front but won't fit in the rear. I've had the front setup on my Nomad for about 10 months now and love it. The Nomad would be a great candidate for the 650B in the rear, because it's a relatively low slung bike to begin with.

The Nomad is a long wheelbase bike, so having a 650B front with a 26" rear is actually a darned good setup. The longer effective chainstay and wheelbase will bring the rear 26" setup over just about anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    As Mc stated, it works great on front but won't fit in the rear. I've had the front setup on my Nomad for about 10 months now and love it. The Nomad would be a great candidate for the 650B in the rear, because it's a relatively low slung bike to begin with.

The Nomad is a long wheelbase bike, so having a 650B front with a 26" rear is actually a darned good setup. The longer effective chainstay and wheelbase will bring the rear 26" setup over just about anything.

Thanks TNC, that is just the information I was looking for. I'm going to order a set of wheels and tires regardless of the frame. Worse case scenario, I'll toss the front on my ride for now and have a 650b front and 26" rear truth.

I was taking a look at the C'dale line up, and it looks like the Rize may work as well, the rear chainstay of the Prophet is 16.5" and the Rize is 16.7" think it would work?

Ideally it would be great if the 650B fit in the rear of my current bike, an Ellsworth Truth. That would be a fun ride! I wonder how close it would be, it has a 16.7 chainstay, I wonder if it would hit the front D. Hmm.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by monty797
    Thanks TNC, that is just the information I was looking for. I'm going to order a set of wheels and tires regardless of the frame. Worse case scenario, I'll toss the front on my ride for now and have a 650b front and 26" rear truth.

I was taking a look at the C'dale line up, and it looks like the Rize may work as well, the rear chainstay of the Prophet is 16.5" and the Rize is 16.7" think it would work?

Ideally it would be great if the 650B fit in the rear of my current bike, an Ellsworth Truth. That would be a fun ride! I wonder how close it would be, it has a 16.7 chainstay, I wonder if it would hit the front D. Hmm.
    Well, you can't really go by chainstay length as far as fitment for a 650B rear. The Nomad has a staggering 17.5" effective chainstay, and because of the link design, a 650B won't fit. It will fit in the rear of my '99 and '03 Bullits...tons of room...but then they're simple single pivots with no linkage. Those Bullits have an effective 17" chainstay length, but you can't just go by that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Well, you can't really go by chainstay length as far as fitment for a 650B rear. The Nomad has a staggering 17.5" effective chainstay, and because of the link design, a 650B won't fit. It will fit in the rear of my '99 and '03 Bullits...tons of room...but then they're simple single pivots with no linkage. Those Bullits have an effective 17" chainstay length, but you can't just go by that.
    You are right on that, I just kind of use it as a starting point. Going from memory on the Truth, I am running 2.2 Mountain kings in the rear, and I have about 3/4" clearance from the upper seatstay bracket, a little more than 1/2" from all sides and 1/2" clearance on the lower chainstay. and looks like the Front D would not be an issue.

After riding a bigger wheeled bike, I've not really messed around with the Truth, but if it would fit the 650B I think it would be a killer ride. I know it'll work on the front at least, I'm running a Fox F100 RL.

I'm curious to see if a Quasi would work in the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I like the idea of a 650b. Does anyone know if they will fit on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with Fox Talas RLC or a Specialized Enduro SL 2008? What's the cost of setting one up, too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvklco@msn.com
    I like the idea of a 650b. Does anyone know if they will fit on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with Fox Talas RLC?
    Yes! I've got a couple of rides on my '07 Stumpy Expert FSR and it is amazing. Will report more after another ride or two.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    wanted to share my 650b converted nomad. 650b compatible rim, tire and spoke options are quite limited on this side of the planet at the moment so I had to use whatever I could find. Initially wanted and purchased Arch EX 650bs from my local bike shop only to find out later that it had 28 holes instead the usual 32 so I had to return them and settle for the Crests. Flow EX 650b rims were also available but found them too wide so was a bit hesitant to try it since the nomad probably wont take anything bigger than a 650b 2.1 in the rear. That plus I weigh only 145-155 so I figured the crests were sufficient for the purpose I had in mind.

Not an expert but in terms of geometry I don't think it changed much or barely if at all since I previously used trail king 2.4 protection on 26" ztr flows which are pretty tall set of tires for a 26 and when placed side by side with the the 2.1 rocket ron 650b there's barely 1mm of difference. Will still keep my 26 wheels though.

In terms of tire volume, I find the rocket rons adequate but not awkward looking although I felt could have used a bit more meat upfront so will likely change that at some point.

so what's the point of all this? I suppose if you had only 1 bike that you can use for AM but still wanted to be able keep up with your XC brethren then you are able to do so by just switching out the wheels. it's only now that I'm beginning to appreciate the versatility of the nomad.

ztr crest 650b
    rocket ron 2.1 650b