mtbr member
    Jul 2005

650B mtb's gradually replace 26" in most cases? Start appearing in XC mtbs?

With some companies dropping 26" mtb's, or at least severely minimizing the number of 26" mtb's in their lineup. It's as if 29'ers have been increasing in popularity, and 26" has been decliing, and now with 650B, I have a feeling that 26" bikes will further decline in numbers and 650B will gradually fill the gaps. I have a feeling that companies that are not offering 650B in 2013 will inevitabley offer them as 26" mtb's decline in numbers.

I don't think 26" mtb's will disappear, but instead of having all 26" for everything as was the case over ten years ago, or having an equal number of 26" and 29'ers, as it was during recent years, I have a feeling there will be companies without 26" xc and all mountian bikes, some companies with some 26" all mountain, others with some 26" all mountian and maybe one xc 26" (although I think the 26" xc bike may eventually disappear except for specific size needs).

Eventually I think xc and all mountain bikes will be split between 650B and 29'er. 650B will be AM and XC and 29'er more for XC. I think the acceptance of 650B will be stronger over the next few years as the 26" mtb declines and people want an alternative to a 29'er.

I also think there will be a market for xc riders, as opposed to strictly xc racing. I think there is going to be a realization that there are people who want a bike that is inbetween a xc bike and an all mountain bike, or at least, one that handles that way. People will like a xc mtb that is fast because of wheels larger than 26"...but also like the lightweight, flickable handling of a bike with wheels smaller than 29".

Three things going on here:

1) 26" mtb's decling and disappearing from some bike likeups
    2) Many companies not offering any 650B (yet)
    3) 650B have started out almost exclusively in the 120 mm + All Mountain category

This may seem obvious to some, but the point I am making is that while people question the usefulness of 650B, whether its enough improvement over 26" now, over the next few years, the decline of the 26" mtb will be a catalyst for the further rise in 650B popularity and acceptance. It's as if the last bit of decline and/or specialization of 26" mtb's will give the final push for 650B to slide into place beside 29'er as a mainstream wheel size.
    Last edited by morkys; 12-13-2012 at 09:21 AM.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355416469.235742.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  14.7 KB
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Yes, hell we're already seing department stores offering 29er hardtails. An in-between tire size for the type of store that sizes bikes to its customers by wheel diameter will be a no-brainer for brand managers everywhere.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    All of this paving the way for the 32" wheel to go mainstream....just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    All of this paving the way for the 32" wheel to go mainstream....just sayin'.
    Since they legalized dope in CO and WA anything is possible.....just sayin

mtbr member
    The shops around me really only have 29ers. I know several people that are short and want a 26 or a 650b. The shops can get a 26 if they order one in but you can not test ride the bikes as easy to make a choice. A new rider who goes to shop may only think they can get 29ers. I think the 29 is to big for some people and the shops should offer 26 or 650b as a alternative to the 29er. I test rode a couple 29ers and though they fit I just did not like it. I think some choice is a good thing. I do think 650b could take over alot of the 26 market but I think 26 will stay around in some way for a long time.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, traditionally, most shops are the trailing edge of everything in the industry. (because they are trapped by having to stock bikes and items). This wheelsize introduction may also spurn the revolution of the bike shop into becoming more of a custom build service center (which it had always been for the higher end customer, and for online specialty vendors) This may become the new model for the upper to mid level customer as well. This is a good thing for everyone on both sides of the counter. Customer gets exactly what they want, reseller only orders what is needed for each build and then only has to stock frames, consumables, and softgoods. Department stores get the whole bike business below $1000. A crappy quality price point for shops anyway.
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    With some companies dropping 26" mtb's, or at least severely minimizing the number of 26" mtb's in their lineup. It's as if 29'ers have been increasing in popularity, and 26" has been decliing, and now with 650B, I have a feeling that 26" bikes will further decline in numbers and 650B will gradually fill the gaps. I have a feeling that companies that are not offering 650B in 2013 will inevitabley offer them as 26" mtb's decline in numbers.

I don't think 26" mtb's will disappear, but instead of having all 26" for everything as was the case over ten years ago, or having an equal number of 26" and 29'ers, as it was during recent years, I have a feeling there will be companies without 26" xc and all mountian bikes, some companies with some 26" all mountain, others with some 26" all mountian and maybe one xc 26" (although I think the 26" xc bike may eventually disappear except for specific size needs).

Eventually I think xc and all mountain bikes will be split between 650B and 29'er. 650B will be AM and XC and 29'er more for XC. I think the acceptance of 650B will be stronger over the next few years as the 26" mtb declines and people want an alternative to a 29'er.

I also think there will be a market for xc riders, as opposed to strictly xc racing. I think there is going to be a realization that there are people who want a bike that is inbetween a xc bike and an all mountain bike, or at least, one that handles that way. People will like a xc mtb that is fast because of wheels larger than 26"...but also like the lightweight, flickable handling of a bike with wheels smaller than 29".

Three things going on here:

1) 26" mtb's decling and disappearing from some bike likeups
    2) Many companies not offering any 650B (yet)
    3) 650B have started out almost exclusively in the 120 mm + All Mountain category

This may seem obvious to some, but the point I am making is that while people question the usefulness of 650B, whether its enough improvement over 26" now, over the next few years, the decline of the 26" mtb will be a catalyst for the further rise in 650B popularity and acceptance. It's as if the last bit of decline and/or specialization of 26" mtb's will give the final push for 650B to slide into place beside 29'er as a mainstream wheel size.
    Did you think this up on your own, or did you copy and paste one of the dozen or so other identical posts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ah...and this will become the 26er forum.

Once the Mans. produce a few twitchy XC's, adults will not buy 26. The Mans. can then use 26er for big wheeled kids mtb.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion