Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    I'm mounting up some new Neo-Motos this week and will replace that clearance picture.

Few trails in my area require great tire traction. So I try to get as much wear out of these expensive tires, and the Neo-Moto's do live long and perform very well until nearly this worn.

Also pressing my weight to crush the bottom bumper isn't nearly as much force as landing a jump on an under sprung shock. I'll be looking for rub marks on the 3 layers of tape I put there for temporary protection. I do still expect it will rub when bottomed hard and will need a small bottom travel shock shim.
    Any comments on the Neomoto's volume as a rear tire on faster chunky trails?

Would like to hear how firm/soft it is out back compared to a 26" 2.35 folding Nevegal *(or similar volume), these two tires are listed with the same volume index
    Last edited by Deerhill; 03-09-2012 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would like to ask a couple of questions:

Will the new 2.4 Pacenti Mega Moto tyre fit the HD? The radius is 356, compared with 352 for the 2.3?

Also, how much slacker would the equivalent head angle become with this tyre? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    Any comments on the Neomoto's volume as a rear tire on faster chunky trails?

Would like to hear how firm/soft it is out back compared to a 26" 2.35 folding Nevegal *(or similar volume), these two tires are listed with the same volume index
    I'd say "faster chunky" describes my daily riding to a Tee, and I think the NeoMoto is good, but not perfect. First, tires are all about the right compromises, and I'd say it is just about perfect by many measures. But on the subject of volume and chunk... Its volume is just a little too low for me to be able to get away with pressures in the upper 20psi range. That's where the magic happens IMO...around 27-28 psi, but if I let my NeoMoto fall below about 31psi I start denting rims. I could run slightly lower psi in the nevegal. Also, the nevegal benefits from having a softer casing and rubber compound, giving a nice smooth, grippy, almost sponge-like feeling...but the Neo rolls way faster and wears far better. Also, in the rear I've only run the 2.1 Neo, which has the same volume as the 2.3 but a more sparse tread. I'm sure the beefier tread on the 2.3 helps.

The Crow
    One for you guys running 650 on your HD's. What's the benefit / difference in feel between running 650 front and back vs just front?

Why I ask:
    I have a Med 160HD (Original Spec) and am looking to sell it to get a Large Mojo. Thinking SL-R (for the weight saving and for what I do 140mm is enough) or HD 140 (already have spare 160mm shock so can convert to longer travel if needed). So while I am debating that I'm wondering if I go 140mm what fork to run which (as it usually does) brings me to HA and all the other usual geo questions. So I'm thinking SL-R with 140mm Deville (AFAIK it has the same A2C height as 150mm Rev) and then fit a 650B front.

Catch my drift?
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

www.derbyrims.com
    Well, the HD 140 swingarm of any year clears 650b easier than the Mojo SL and SL-R. The SL and SL-R needs a small shock shim to avoid seat tube rub, which is easy to do.

Front-only 650b raises the head tube as much as the wheel axle difference from a 26 inch wheel, about 1/2 inch, depending on tire height differences. So about 1/2 degree slacker frame angle which increases steering trail to be longer and slower steering.

The bigger wheel radius also in itself increases steering trail, also slowing steering.

Combining the increased steering trail from a bigger 650b wheel and the 1/2 degree slacker frame and fork angles, the FEEL is like the added steering trail of 1 to 1.5 degree slacker head angle without changing wheels.

Front-only conversion of a Mojo SL-R to 650b will increase steering trail from 69 degrees to the FEEL of a 26inch front wheel with about 67.5 to 68 degree head angle. And according to ibis web site's latest frame geometry publication, the HD140 frame with the same fork is .5 degree slacker head angle than the SL-R.

And the front-only conversion adds the 650b wheel advantages of easier rolling over rough rocky rooty trail, ability to run lower air pressures, a smoother ride, especially downhill, and increased cornering and braking traction. There is a very small increase, about 3% more material, in rim and tire weight (all things equal).

I am not first hand familiar with current 140 and 150mm travel fork's ability to clear 650b. I hear the Fox forks still clear with possible crown rub using some larger volume 650b tires. I hear the newer RS Revelation fork arches do not clear. Marzocchi forks up to 160 do not clear their very low arch. Do your research.

The Crow
    Thanks Derby for the detailed reply. Will give it some more thought.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    how are those P35's standing up to abuse (if any)?

thx ... ragetty

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    how are those P35's standing up to abuse (if any)?

thx ... ragetty
    My P35 up front is holding up very well... as long as I don't let the tubeless converted Neo-motos pressures run too low. I did slightly dent one rim edge once somewhere, not sure where, probably during my vacation to Utah and Arizona last fall or Northstar bike park. The Blunt on the rear dents easily with too low pressure too. These Velocity rims apparently use softer metal compared to Mavic or WTB rims I've used way way back in the old 26 inch wheel days.

The P35 stays true longer than the Blunt in the rear, mostly due to the lighter load and less dished spokes in front. The wider P35 certainly is stiffer but is about 100g heavier than a Blunt I think. These are not ultra-light weight rims, but not bad for their widths either.

I'm waiting for the Pacenti DL31 to order with a TL28 for a new wheel set. A new set of Hadley hubs is impatiently waiting...

I wish the DL's were 35 or wider. The P35 squares up my front tire very nicely giving better edge bite in corners, better balancing handling using the same tires front and with narrower rear rim rounding the rear tire, allowing more rear steer without dragging the rear brake.

Old-newbie
    I call this one the Firefly. Still working out the kinks. Hating on the FD, so I took it off and I will try climbing it as a 1x10 tomorrow morning.

Magura Wotan fork is interesting. I have a spare Dorado CF fork ready, just in case a wider tire comes along

gerG

...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG View Post
    I call this one the Firefly. Still working out the kinks. Hating on the FD, so I took it off and I will try climbing it as a 1x10 tomorrow morning.

Magura Wotan fork is interesting. I have a spare Dorado CF fork ready, just in case a wider tire comes along

gerG

Wow, that looks like a fun rig!
    What's up with the janky FD cable routing?
    Tell us more about the Wotan....

Old-newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Wow, that looks like a fun rig!
    What's up with the janky FD cable routing?
    Tell us more about the Wotan....
    It is a fun ride, very different from my AM 29ers. Turns better, doesn't climb or descend as well. Of course, I am still getting used to the different feel of the bike.

The cable routing was the most logical path that I could find. The top of the tube made no sense to me due to sharp bends required and poor placement at the head tube. No matter, the FD is now gone (although there is still a seat hose on the other side). I did some more technical climbing this morning with a single front ring. It gave me a hell of a workout! The climbing performance is disappointing. If I hit a square rock on the climb, the bike stops hard. In one instance the tail went up in the air (which I wouldn't have thought possible on a climb this steep) and in the other the fork just sort of loaded up then shot the bike backward underneath me. That one was actually pretty funny. Somehow my 29ers don't even notice those same rocks. Part flywheel effect, part rider style. I will be trying it again soon.

The fork is smooth, and works ok, but it is not impressing me. It does do a lovely drop to a useable 4" travel, but that is just a nice-to-have. The part that I am not thrilled with is the behavior in the climbs, and the apparent fore/aft flex. Probably related issues.

I should admit that all that I have ridden for the past couple of years are overbuilt 29ers. Both of them have Dorado forks, so I probably have a different idea of how a fork should behave. I am also used to a bike with more weight in the front end.

Speaking of weight, the Mojo HD weighs in at 32# with the spare tube under the seat, but without the FD, small ring, control, related bits. This is much lighter than my 29ers.

One thing I really really hate: no Hammerschmidt. Anybody know of an adapter that will let me install one?

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    What mega motos? Did I miss something?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    What mega motos? Did I miss something?
    Photo shows Neo Motos.

Old-newbie
    I don't have any Mega-motos. I am looking forward to trying one. I am guessing that it won't fit on the back, but the front will be no problem (with a fork swap).

So far I really like the Neos. I seem to be hell on sidewalls, so I am trying to be careful with them. When the Mega comes along I will be pondering something bomber for the rear. Maybe a fat 2-ply 26" on the back would be a good match.

gerG

mtbr member
    May 2008
    As soon as I HT sells I am looking to build a mojo hd 650b. I already have most of the build kit from a 26er. A couple of quick questions (have seen answers on some but not all and not definitive so thanks for the help)
    I understand that the 140 requires no mods but are most people going 140 just for that or are there other reasons over the 160.
    I am looking to get an XL into the 28lbs range with a dropper post. I was planning on light carbon wheels from china but I am not sure if there are light but grippy tires that will help me get to this weight. Is a 28lb xl mojo hd trail bike doable?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
    As soon as I HT sells I am looking to build a mojo hd 650b. I already have most of the build kit from a 26er. A couple of quick questions (have seen answers on some but not all and not definitive so thanks for the help)
    I understand that the 140 requires no mods but are most people going 140 just for that or are there other reasons over the 160.
    I am looking to get an XL into the 28lbs range with a dropper post. I was planning on light carbon wheels from china but I am not sure if there are light but grippy tires that will help me get to this weight. Is a 28lb xl mojo hd trail bike doable?
    Maybe it is possible to get the HD to 28 lbs with very light components. Having tried the Pacenti Quasi-moto 2.0 tires, which are xc race tires with short easy rolling knobs, I found them remarkably grippy while pretty new, but lost much grip when the tire got about 200 to 300 miles on it and the short knobs were well rounded.

Regarding using 650b with the HD160, my second generation HD… having the added seat tube tire clearance and fixed front der mounting… at 160 settings will rub the seat tube at bottom travel using 650b, and I must add 2 to 4mm (depending on shock) in shock shaft travel limiting shims to prevent damage, limiting travel to about 155mm. Although the 650b wheels feel like there's an inch more travel over sharp rocks compared to 26 inch. Also the HD140 BB height is 1/4 inch lower than the HD160 with the same fork and tires. I have successfully used a 2.25 x 7.875 shock with HD140 shock mounts without seat tube rub (barely clears), and without needing shock shims, making about 150mm travel.

I also want to try the carbon 650b wheels from China, for the rear wheel to gain durability, stiffness, and lighter weight. But I like a wider front than any carbon rim is made yet, and for now will stick with the Velocity P35 rim Kirk Pacenti designed for the front rim, to square the Neo-moto 2.3 for better turning balance with the rounder rear profile of the same tire allowing more side drift than the front without skidding with the rear brake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Question for the Mojo hd 140 650b owners....
    Are your frames getting scratched up badly from the tires catching rocks etc?
    It sounds like the clearance is decent, i just dont want to do this if it will scratch up the frame badly.

mtbr member
    NO..but then again the tires I use don't catch many rocks. And I ride some trails that make rock quarries look like hard pack sand pits.
    I use Pacenti Neo-Moto 650b 2.3 Front and Rear.

Old-newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Question for the Mojo hd 140 650b owners....
    Are your frames getting scratched up badly from the tires catching rocks etc?
    It sounds like the clearance is decent, i just dont want to do this if it will scratch up the frame badly.
    It will depend on the terrain. After 3 rides in AZ the inside front of the rear triangle was a bit gouged. Much worse now. I have a Neo 2.3 back there.

gerG

Last edited by g3rG; 07-01-2012 at 12:48 PM.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG View Post
    It will depend on the terrain. After 3 rides in AZ the inside front of the rear triangle was a bit gouged. Much worse now. I have a Neo 2.3 back there.

gerG
    After a year now, the scratched paint in of the yoke of my HD is not nearly as much as pictured using Neo-moto 2.3's. But I have only 2 days riding the volcanic sharp edged rock Phoenix area during a couple weeks in Utah and Arizona last fall. Mostly NorCal eroded sedimentary clay and mud with lots of gravely, rocky, rooty sections.

There is room for a layer of protective plastic film, "helicopter tape" or such in the HD yoke. It is cosmetic and visible only when removing the wheel, and does not wear into the carbon fiber layers.

Every trail bike I've owned before with 26 inch wheels eventually scratched up this area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    After a year now, the scratched paint in of the yoke of my HD is not nearly as much as pictured using Neo-moto 2.3's. But I have only 2 days riding the volcanic sharp edged rock Phoenix area during a couple weeks in Utah and Arizona last fall. Mostly NorCal eroded sedimentary clay and mud with lots of gravely, rocky, rooty sections.

There is room for a layer of protective plastic film, "helicopter tape" or such in the HD yoke. It is cosmetic and visible only when removing the wheel, and does not wear into the carbon fiber layers.

Every trail bike I've owned before with 26 inch wheels eventually scratched up this area.
    so what your saying is...its not really an issue...
    thanks for the responses guys.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Mojo HD 140 Color Question?

A couple questions for all of you 650 Ibis riders...

How well is the paint holding up after # years?

.....I love the bike in white, but I'm tempted to go nude for longevity of finish.

Thanks in advanced for your thoughts.
    The Truth will set you free.

Dissolved member
    I should have never found out about the Mojo HD 650b... Just bought me a used and a bit scarred yet structurally sound frame to test the DW-Link waters. Screw the finish, it is the ride that matters, right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b Mojo HD ... Heavy Duty-mojo_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I should have never found out about the Mojo HD 650b... Just bought me a used and a bit scarred yet structurally sound frame to test the DW-Link waters. Screw the finish, it is the ride that matters, right?

Oh you dog I go away on vacation and you end up with an HD....and the paint isn't even dry on the Nickle

What's the plan ahead for the build?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast