Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_MTB View Post
    How do you shim the shock and have you ever had any problems with it?

Regarding the BB height; if its the same geo as HD 140 (343mm bb) + 12.7mm, then its +3.7mm over the HD160 (352mm).

3.7mm doesn't sound a massive difference or am i missing something?
    Jamie, what you're saying is correct if you're trying to compare an HD140 with 650b wheels to a HD160 w/ 26" wheels....then there's not much difference in bb height. But if you want to compare 140 to 160, both with 650b wheels, then you have to add the same 12.7mm to both bb heights. StiHacka's info isn't duff, it's spot on. You should listen to him, he's made the conversion in reality, not just on a calculator.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Well Ibis made me jump the gun to get my 650 wheelset built (I have had all the parts since august) pronto by making the ordering deadline by the 31st. I have been riding my old steel 26" hardtail to curtail me doing anything stupid, going too fast, taking any chances, or just ****ing up my fractured wrist. I went on my first 650b ride today and it was just awesome. Running a rear 2.25 Ardent/Front 2.35 HD. My bike is the 135 x 12 rear axle. My fork is set at 170 travel. I run 35% sag with a pushed Monarch RT for now. I haven't shimmed my rear shock yet. Since I am still rehabbing my broken arm (broken in August cast came off 5 weeks ago) I knew I wasn't going to ride hard enough or drop down anything too technical or sketchy to use all the rear travel. By my calculations I will be losing .5" of travel (it isn't really to protect the seat tube but for the pesky front derailleur cable. If it was just for the ST I would go with .4"). Set-up this way it felt almost like my 29er. I had too remove one 2mm spacer from the stack. The way it rolls over everything with a flair of invincibility. I really didn't even feel a change with the higher BB. Perhaps because I run 35% sag? But After my first stretch of single track I looked at my rear shock and was worried I may tag the shifting cable. I added air to change the sag to 30% and I than felt a slight difference with the BB height. Also there was no change in feeling when climbing steep technical singletrack. I will be most likely changing to a CCDBA. I just need to send it off to suspension works so they can shim it and change me over to a ghetto CS switch.

As far as the rear triangle goes.......... I want it real bad so I can have the perfect set-up. But financially it just isn't a sound decision. The ardent is tight, but it does clear. Where I ride there really isn't any mud. The HD is technically my back-up bike. Also as some one said its not just the rear triangle. It is the rear triangle, plus new rear axle, plus sales tax, plus shipping. My frame I purchased used for $800. All in I would be $750-800 for a new rear triangle. At that price point I might as well bite the bullit and sell my HD and get a new HDR. Speaking of a new HDR my LBS has an HDR 650B on the sales floor and looking at the tire clearance I would say there is maybe a half inch of difference. Really just does not seem worth it to me.

On a side note my bike lost almost 2lbs changing to 650B. I used the light cycle rims, Sapim CX-ray spokes, Sapim Nipples. AC 225 rear hub, atom lab Pimplite front hub(BTW this hub is much lighter than any other 20mm hub out there and convertible to any axle standard). My wheelset weighed 1460 grams (My 29er is 1470 grams). I still have a couple more changes to make before the build is finalized. I am going to go 2 x 9 and I picked up some used race face next cranks (last years model)

Anyway I think I am getting side tracked. I applaud Ibis for offering the new rear triangle. If money was no object I would jump on it. But I haven't worked since August due to the busted arm and money is scarce right now. Even if it wasn't I would probably pass. Also for the cost I could buy a new x-fusion or a pike for my 29er. Now that would be bad-a$$
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b Mojo HD ... Heavy Duty-image.jpg  

2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi Dusty
    So you say go with the Ibis HD and use it for 650b and get 140/150mm rear travel because it have more tire space (to the seat tube) ?

I am looking for a 650b but would like the 140mm. (with a shimmed down 160mm rear shock)
    160mm is ok but I rarely used it on my old bike. (33% sag) But I would like the 650b and Ibis
    Really confused.....
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi Dusty and others
    So you say go with the Ibis HD and use it for 650b and get 140/150mm rear travel because it have more tire space (to the seat tube) ?

I am looking for a 650b but would like the 140mm. (with a shimmed down 160mm rear shock)
    160mm is ok but I rarely used it on my old bike. (33% sag Covert Carbon) But I would like the 650b and Ibis
    Really confused.....
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    looking at a couple new rear tires, been liking the scwalbe products but they wear out well too fast.
    Do you guys think the new 650b 2.3 specialized purgatory will fit in the rear chainstay?
    What about the new 650b conti trail king 2.2?
    murray

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    looking at a couple new rear tires, been liking the scwalbe products but they wear out well too fast.
    Do you guys think the new 650b 2.3 specialized purgatory will fit in the rear chainstay?
    What about the new 650b conti trail king 2.2?
    murray
    I tried the Continental Trail King 2.2 as a rear tire but doesn't fit well. Actually the trail king has some hair (fringes) as new tire who touch the rear triangle making noice and slowing the tire. It is so close. I had to change it with a High Roller 2 2.3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vassot View Post
    I tried the Continental Trail King 2.2 as a rear tire but doesn't fit well. Actually the trail king has some hair (fringes) as new tire who touch the rear triangle making noice and slowing the tire. It is so close. I had to change it with a High Roller 2 2.3.
    I finally used the Pacenti Neo moto 2.3. It fits OK, no issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone know if the new specialized 2.3 650b purgatory tire will fit on the mojo hd? Getting real tired of replacing my scwalbes too often.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    [QUOTE=murrdogg11;11143139]Anyone know if the new specialized 2.3 650b purgatory tire will fit on the mojo hd? Getting real tired of replacing my scwalbes too often.[/]

Specialized tires has a money back guarantee. Why not be the guinea pig and let us know if it fits?
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    has anyone tried these 27.5 tires on their mojo hd?
    wanting to know if they will fit in the chain stay.
    conti trail king 2.2
    maxxis dhrII 2.3
    specialized purgatory 2.3
    thanks

mtbr member
    I'm running a purgatory 2.3 on my HDR. It fits fine, but I'm not sure how different the HD is. I would judge, from looks alone, that the purgatory is a tiny bit smaller than the Maxxis ardent 2.25 I had on previously, if that helps you.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    has anyone tried these 27.5 tires on their mojo hd?
    specialized purgatory 2.3
    Here is your answer: HK ? View topic - HK's random 650b / 27.5" thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    awesome thanks!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13