mtbr member
    Jan 2008

650b Marathon racing bike?

Hi All

I'm putting this out there to try and gauge people's opinion, and see whether I'm simply smoking crack, or alternatively am I part of a lurker population?

I love to ride marathon style events, and have done so on 26 bikes in the past. I recently converted my BMC Team Elite 02 hardtail to 650b. I've always enjoyed the terrain flattening properties of 29ers, but never ridden one that didn't feel too ponderous and slow to accellerate for MY liking. My converted 26 inch bike is pretty darn good. The wheels with DT hubs and Stan rims in tubeless format with Quasi's weigh less than my old 26 inch set, so they accelerate well enough, and smooth out the bumps, as well as keeping their momentum too. This is a good situation!

My question to the masses is who else is interested in 650b in this capacity (enduro racing), as to me it makes great sense... but despite this the majority of 650b frames available are approcahing the wheel size from the trend / retro / ss / full rigid / luddite angle. Other than Spooky or Carver (no doubt I've missed some companies here), does any brand offer a light weight 'for racing / xc' 650b frame, as to me this seems the logical application of the positives of 650b.

Using frames designed for 26 inch wheels works well to an extent, but a slightly elevated BB and ride height can be viewed as a compromised ride. I'd love a 7005 tin can frame designed for 650b wheels with a lower BB, and shoter head tube. Does anyone else want one too? Is this somewhere that consumer demand might drive 650b wheeled bikes?... or am I on crack?

(that was a long question)

nothing relevant to say
    Fuji should be answering this call. Watch out.

mtbr member
    I wish someone besides me or Davis offered alumium 650b race frames... or do i?

I just sent frames to 3 dudes in the UCI top 100 for 'cross to race the NUE series for us next year, and I have all the tire options I could want (with at leas 2 more on the way from a new player), The xfusion velvet is a super reliable fork, and by this time I think we'll be seeing it a pound lighter. We already have the perfect (and pretty much only) rim we need for racing.

It's a great time to race the 650b stuff, as all the overcompensating big-wheeled wankers haven't seen the light(weight) yet...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ells@DW
    Hi All

I'm putting this out there to try and gauge people's opinion, and see whether I'm simply smoking crack, or alternatively am I part of a lurker population?

I love to ride marathon style events, and have done so on 26 bikes in the past. I recently converted my BMC Team Elite 02 hardtail to 650b. I've always enjoyed the terrain flattening properties of 29ers, but never ridden one that didn't feel too ponderous and slow to accellerate for MY liking. My converted 26 inch bike is pretty darn good. The wheels with DT hubs and Stan rims in tubeless format with Quasi's weigh less than my old 26 inch set, so they accelerate well enough, and smooth out the bumps, as well as keeping their momentum too. This is a good situation!

My question to the masses is who else is interested in 650b in this capacity (enduro racing), as to me it makes great sense... but despite this the majority of 650b frames available are approcahing the wheel size from the trend / retro / ss / full rigid / luddite angle. Other than Spooky or Carver (no doubt I've missed some companies here), does any brand offer a light weight 'for racing / xc' 650b frame, as to me this seems the logical application of the positives of 650b.

Using frames designed for 26 inch wheels works well to an extent, but a slightly elevated BB and ride height can be viewed as a compromised ride. I'd love a 7005 tin can frame designed for 650b wheels with a lower BB, and shoter head tube. Does anyone else want one too? Is this somewhere that consumer demand might drive 650b wheeled bikes?... or am I on crack?

(that was a long question)
    Yes. A 650B race bike. Bring it on. I'm with ya. Whomever makes it, will sell it

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Siren Song

Aluminum race frame specifically for endurance races. Doesn't get any better than that for enduros. Never ridden one, but I like what I see on their page.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That is the way my 650b Mojo SL is built for long distance riding and an occasional race.
    Stans ZTR 650b wheels (weigh about the same as my 26" wheels) Neo Moto Back, Neo Front with Fox Talas. I change height all the time from 100/120/140 and lockout. Fox RPL (a shock with one propedal setting but with a very good lockout for climbing that I use all the time as it has excellent blowoff.) The nature of a full carbon frame and the 650b wheels makes locking out front/back quite forgiving and climbing out of the saddle quite efficient. Since the frame weighs in at about 5.25 lbs I can come up with a serious marathon build. That competes with most short travel alum bikes. Then for the long rocky downhills I open it up and set back and use most of the travel on both ends.
    So smooth short travel and often locked, front and back. Rolling + rocky 120mm front/propedal back. Long rocky decents 140mm front and open in back.
    The 650b wheel Stans lightweight rims with Pacenti tires make quite a difference in this long distance bike build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have tested several months with 650b wheels and Neo/Quasi Moto, under race-oriented circumstances.
    I'm very happy with it.

At this moment a 650B-specific frame is being built for me.
    Purpose: xc-racing and marathons..

Columbus Life tubes, long top tube (63,5 cm), low bracket (29,5 cm), SC 42,5 cm, a Fox F100 will be used.

It will take a few months before available.

Looking forward to it... '-)

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    i raced a 650b titanium carver with reba's that weighed sub 21lbs all year here in the UK, absolutley loved it, until it rained.................... then i hated it, as soon as we get something like a nobby nic or a rocket ron in 650b id be all over it again, but until then, ive put 650b on the back burner.....................PLEASE MAKE ME THIS TIRE!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm going to put a 650b on the front of my Mojo Sl. It will fit in the rear if you shave some side knobs and re-dish the rim a few mm. I may try that too as I bought the set.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren
    I'm going to put a 650b on the front of my Mojo Sl. It will fit in the rear if you shave some side knobs and re-dish the rim a few mm. I may try that too as I bought the set.
    u will like. don't forget to check your r. shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Oh yeah. Shim the rear shock.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    I just sent frames to 3 dudes in the UCI top 100 for 'cross to race the NUE series for us next year,

Good lord I love pics. Talk of race frames with pictures = me happy! No pics =

There doesn't seem to be enough "Darkside" love going on here. Where's the good old action shots!