mtbr member

650b with low standover

I'm looking at the new 650b bikes and even in the XS and S sizes, I can't seem to find any of them with a <28" standover. (I'm 5"1 with a 28.5-ish inseam.) I have a hardtail 29er with a lower standover, and I've even seen a few full suspension 29er options as well with a 27-ish standover.

It just seems like this would be a market the companies would want to address for shorter folks, no?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

-laine

mtbr member
    Small Turner Burner worked very well for me with my 27" inseam. The Burner was unavailable so I bought the demo Intense tracer 275 which works fairly well but not nearly as well as the burner in the standover department.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b with low standover-photo_f0377864-cc23-2cab-5fc5-25fb468a11bc.jpg  

Last edited by slowrider; 04-20-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: pic

I sweep myself
    As a short man in a tall man's world, I "feel your pain"

If budget allows, maybe check out Ventana.

With their custom program you may be able to get something like their old x-5 front triangle, that may get the max SO exactly where you need it. It's shown in the pic on their custom page:

Custom Geometry Program | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

For the record, I'm a Turner guy myself, but I've met some folks with Ventanas and they loved them.
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Haven't tried one myself but I hear the Norco's have a low standover

mtbr member
    Thanks. I looked on the Norco site and it looks like the 27.5 standovers start around 29". But looking at that photo of the Turner above, it looks like the standover lines up with the top of the tire, so that could be an option.

Thanks folks - and please keep any suggestions coming. (And if any bike manufacturers are trolling this board - please consider the shorties.)

-laine

~~~~~~~~
    I may be riding the same bike slorider tried, it's got a lower bb than production so add 3/4". The burner has ample stand over and it extends forward and still accommodates a small water bottle.

As a shorter rider who prefers a low bar height I appreciate the short head tube on the burner. I would expect a benefit of the higher production bb height is higher over the bars as well which would help make them feel lower. In other words, the body positioning I am looking for is better served with the decision to raise it for production and is of greater benefit than a lower bb. That said, I haven't ridden the production model so I'm just wasting internet here

650b with low standover-burner-standover.jpg

mtbr member
    Actually I had chosen to go with the Burner because the top tube is lower than the tire hight by about 2-2 1/2 inches; unfortunatly no Burners were going to be available for a while so I bought the Intense 275 demo.
    Quote Originally Posted by laine View Post
    Thanks. I looked on the Norco site and it looks like the 27.5 standovers start around 29". But looking at that photo of the Turner above, it looks like the standover lines up with the top of the tire, so that could be an option.

Thanks folks - and please keep any suggestions coming. (And if any bike manufacturers are trolling this board - please consider the shorties.)

-laine