mtbr member
    Feb 2005

650b just front wheel

I'm think to try to use a 650b front wheel matched to fox 34 160 and keep 26 wheel on the back,what issues about mixing 27,5 in front and 26 in rear?Can I use a 36 fork?

Sail On!
    You can do all of the above. Works well on most bikes as it only raises the front end 3/4".
    I rode an older Blur LT this way for 2 years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have done this with a Moots YBB, a Trek 9.8 hardtail, and a Trek Top Fuel. Currently using this set up on a Spot Brand as well. I love it, and have had no issues at all with any of the different frames.

www.derbyrims.com
    Where I live there is much climbing, and after swapping to a 650b front wheel with 26" rear, my bars felts too high in front and frame geometry became too slack for easy climbing. To cure a light front end feeling, lower the bars down to the level they were previously and bump your seat forward about 1/4 inch to regain the previous familiar balance forward over the wheels and cranks. If the more forward seat feels too short in reach to the bars go with a wider bar to re-gain reach and also add stability.

WTB 29 allmountain wheels
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Where I live there is much climbing, and after swapping to a 650b front wheel with 26" rear, my bars felts too high in front and frame geometry became too slack for easy climbing. To cure a light front end feeling, lower the bars down to the level they were previously and bump your seat forward about 1/4 inch to regain the previous familiar balance forward over the wheels and cranks. If the more forward seat feels too short in reach to the bars go with a wider bar to re-gain reach and also add stability.
    I've been considering this. Thanks for the great info.

Keep on Rockin...
    Try it. Did a similar mod....

My Stumpy FSR 29er got a mod. I kept the front 29", and put a 650b out back.

Absolutely love it for hard trail riding.

My set up slackened the front end and dropped the bb a bit, which I totally dig. However, I run a fatter tire out back so the overall drop out back was minimal. I subscribe to the moto style set up for hard trail riding.

I may even end up bumping the fork up another 10mm from 130 to 140 if the fork is able.

mtbr member
    I ran a 650B on the front of my top fuel for a couple years. I've heard some say this is about 70% of the realized change of rolling over objects easier. I just completed my full 650B Santa Cruz Blur XC and I can tell you the rear made more than 30% difference for me. I think it is more like 50/50. I ride sitting up more than a XC Pro (short stem, high bars, etc) so my weight is more rearward than many riders. Anyway, it is a step in the right direction. Go full out and get a Blur. My BB height came in at 13" (I used a zero stack lower cup/bearing which help tremendously as well as help the slack steering).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b just front wheel-p1030826.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You might consider running a 26" Trail King at the back, the wheel radius difference between that and a 2.3 Pacenti or a Schwalbe Hans Dampf being 5mm, so the head angle will hardy change.