Uncle

650B is here -- which system now?

Hey all. Between the blogs, MTBR, and notubes.com, I've seen lots of ways to set up a 650b tire: Tubes, ghetto tubeless, Olympic rim strips, the Yellow Tape & olympic stem combo, 3M packaging tape, etc. But I haven't seen too much clear info about what's best for what situations.

Me: 190lb (loaded) XC rider -- 50% fire roads, 50% ST, and the same ratio for smooth trails:rocky / rooty trails (Tamarancho primarily, if you're so informed). I don't ride super hard; I don't think I've ever managed 3' of air in a jump -- most jumps ~1' of air likely. I race 2-4 times per year, and I ride 2-3x per week.

Bike: SC Blur XC ~4" of travel, with stan's ztr355 & neomoto in front / Olympic 26" with Michelin XC mud in the rear.

I want to set it up using the most reliable non-UST tubeless method, but which one is that? I want to say the rim strips are the way to go, but if you've done the yellow tape method, and you've run rim strips, let me know which you've had the most luck with.

Thanks much for the help with this & happy holidays.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Reviewer/Tester
    I don't think you can beat ghetto tubeless on non-Stans rims, personally.
    If you plan to run 650B using Stans rims, then just yellow tape is usually sufficient.
    I'm currently running 650B on an Ibis Mojo using ghetto tubeless setup with Velocity Blunt rims with no problems at all, no roll-offs or burps ... and I give them a hard time..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would say for you the most reliable set-up would be ZTR 355's WITH the rim strip. Some of the heavier guys had issues with burping without the strip. I run my neo-motos with only the yellow tape, but I'm well below 190 lbs. I have never had them burp and they have been through all kinds of rock gardens and all kinds of speeds.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I've been running the Olympic strip in the ZTR355 on the front of a Nomad for several months now with no issues of burping or bead separation. All this while riding in fairly rocky technical terrain. The ZTR355 would not be my first choice even as just a front wheel for my Nomad and type of riding, but happily it has held up fine and hasn't even needed to be trued. Frankly I'm surprised.

Uncle
    I see that the Olympic Rim strip comes in the 26" & the 29". There isn't a 650b specific Olympic strip, correct? The 26" Olympic strip is the correct strip for a Stan's ztr355, right?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    I see that the Olympic Rim strip comes in the 26" & the 29". There isn't a 650b specific Olympic strip, correct? The 26" Olympic strip is the correct strip for a Stan's ztr355, right?
    Yes...26" strip.

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    There is only one Olympic strip. Same length for 26", 650b and 29"
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've been running Ghetto on my synergy's for 2 months now and I love them. No problems what so ever.