mtbr member
    Apr 2013

650b front 26"rear

Have you had a look at this Liteville at Eurobike? It uses a larger front wheel, as done at Enduro moto or MX.

i think is a clever solution, and should work great for AllMountain/Enduro. What do you think?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

mtbr member
    Many of us have been doing that for some time. My Turner's had that treatment for the last several years. It does help, I love it. The only bummer part is when hitting objects with the rear wheel, there's a definite shock as the rear wheel tries to climb up and over the object. Certainly felt most when climbing rocky rooted stuff.

mtbr member
    heres mine 27.5/26 - best handling mountain bike ever!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post

Crests?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Amazing bike. Congrats.

Wheel travel front and rear?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Crests?
    Thought the same thing looking at the pic. Seems an odd choice to me for a Chicoltin unless he's also got a beefier set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Crests?
    Yes, that was the only questionable item in the build. But I'm happy to report they are working just fine yeah narrower than flows but rotational weight is drastically cut.

I find myself being much more aggressive on this bike than originally intended but they are staying true & rolling awesome on the hadley hubs.
    Besides I have another bike with ex500 wheels if whistler calls....

I think a lot of people need to be honest with theirselves & question - do I really ride as hard as the pros using this equipment?

160mm rear\front talas 120/160mm effective geometry 160/180orso with 20ish higher axle center of 27.5 wheel

NedwannaB
    Yes, that was the only questionable item in the build. But I'm happy to report they are working just fine yeah narrower than flows but rotational weight is drastically cut.

I find myself being much more aggressive on this bike than originally intended but they are staying true & rolling awesome on the hadley hubs.
    Besides I have another bike with ex500 wheels if whistler calls....

I think a lot of people need to be honest with theirselves & question - do I really ride as hard as the pros using this equipment?

160mm rear\front talas 120/160mm effective geometry 160/180orso with 20ish higher axle center of 27.5 wheel
    Yeah I was just curious to how they were working. Obvious a better tire profile on Flows but that's great they are performing to how you ride them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheellie Bonka View Post
    I would be more concerned with flex than breaking anything. FWIW, I probably harder on my stuff than any pro would be, due simply to the fact that I'ma hack!

Anyway, I'm building up a custom wheelset for an older frame just so I can check out a 650b up front. I lacing a pair of Hadley's to Spank-Subrosa and I'm going to try and run a Hans Dampf with a Vengeance fork. I'm just wondering if I will have clearance. I went with Spanks, one because they have fairly low profile @ 24mm and a somewhat wide channel @ 30mm, and two they were fairly inexpensive. Mostly this is to correct the geo on my RFX when I switch out the TNT for an older generation Horst linkage where the seat stay is just a tad bit longer. Also, the Vengeance will be replacing a Totem so I'll lose a few millimeters there, too. I am also thinking about getting some offset bushings to slacken it out even more. I've been so tempted to just purchase a new bike, but I enjoy the potential tinkering that is afforded with the old Turners. I suspect when I'm done it will be like having a new bike, but without compromising any of the characteristics that I liked in the "old" one.
    It wont work.

If you can find someone willing to trade you a 160mm fox 36 for your vengeance do it. The fox would be a much better option!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    It wont work.

If you can find someone willing to trade you a 160mm fox 36 for your vengeance do it. The fox would be a much better option!
    Vengeance clears 650b just fine. It's an approved 650b fork from the start. It's also a better fork than the Fox, especially for the money.

mtbr member
    Did this to my Fuji this past spring. It's only a 5in trail bike but that's enough for my usual rides. I noticed no perceptible hindrance from the slightly slacker geometry when climbing. It does roll over the smaller stuff a little more easily. I like it so much I built my single speed with 650b front and back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b front 26"rear-26b.jpg  

>>"Every chance I get!"

mtbr member
    I did it for extra traction not roll ability jargon. You can control a two wheeled vehicle if the rear loses traction but not the front...

NedwannaB

Not as HD as the Liteville

Quote Originally Posted by Carles Carrera View Post
    It uses a larger front wheel, as done at Enduro moto or MX.

i think is a clever solution, and should work great for AllMountain/Enduro. What do you think?
    But it's serving my Enduro "Lite" riding great! Super nimble even with a heavier Vanilla fork and 2.35 Nevegal up front. Way faster rolling with the 2.4 WTB Mutano on back. I did have 2.55 LT Weirwolf's on it before when set up straight 26" f&r but don't remember it rolling as good.
    650b front 26"rear-khs-front.jpg
    650b front 26"rear-khs-side.jpg
    650b front 26"rear-khs-ridge-tr.jpg

troll
    Hello all, I was hoping to get some advice on this very topic to help me make a decision. My bikepacking rig is a 26" Troll. I run 2.5" tires on it to help give me some cushion since the bike is all rigid. I have been considering swapping out the 26" front wheel for a 650b, and running a Nevegal 2.35 front, with my current Slant Six 26x2.5 on the rear. I'd be running Stan's rims, tubeless of course.

I don't do a lot of technical or aggressive riding. I am a fairly relaxed trail rider even when not loaded down with bikepacking gear... but I would like to find ways to better absorb the trail without going to a suspension fork. Do you think this would be a beneficial move, or would the difference in ride and handling be too small to notice?

mtbr member
    don't waste your time
    IMHO you need dual susp to sort out the roll ability differences as per moto

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    Hello all, I was hoping to get some advice on this very topic to help me make a decision. My bikepacking rig is a 26" Troll. I run 2.5" tires on it to help give me some cushion since the bike is all rigid. I have been considering swapping out the 26" front wheel for a 650b, and running a Nevegal 2.35 front, with my current Slant Six 26x2.5 on the rear. I'd be running Stan's rims, tubeless of course.

I don't do a lot of technical or aggressive riding. I am a fairly relaxed trail rider even when not loaded down with bikepacking gear... but I would like to find ways to better absorb the trail without going to a suspension fork. Do you think this would be a beneficial move, or would the difference in ride and handling be too small to notice?
    I would stick with your existing wheels and put a Surly Dirt Wizard 26 x 2.75" tire on the front when they come out. Cheaper than a new wheel and the OD will be close enough to the OD of a 27.5" x 2.35" tire. You'll also get to run the front at a lower pressure for a more pleasant ride on rough terrain.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    650b front 26"rear-img_0835.jpg
    I picked up a Blur LTC frame on clearance and decided to build it up with a 650B front. I tried it with a Fox 34 160 650B (pictured). I underestimated how high the front would be when factoring in the added a/c plus the bigger wheel. The recommended front travel for the Blur is 140-160 for 26" wheels. This setup after looking at the numbers was the equivalent of running a 175-180mm fork with 26" wheels. Was really tough to keep the front down on steep climbs, and though confidence inspiring on steep descents, I felt like I had to lean way forward to weight the front wheel when cornering. Even though you can space the Fox down to 150, I still think it would be too high. So I just installed a RS Rev 650B 140. This lowered the front by 25mm. First ride this past weekend, and it felt much better climbing and descending. Doesn't feel as burly as with the Fox 34, but overall the bike feels much more balanced. I think I'm going to be stoked on this setup.

troll
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I would stick with your existing wheels and put a Surly Dirt Wizard 26 x 2.75" tire on the front when they come out. Cheaper than a new wheel and the OD will be close enough to the OD of a 27.5" x 2.35" tire. You'll also get to run the front at a lower pressure for a more pleasant ride on rough terrain.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Vik! I forgot about those coming out soon. Do you think I'd need a wider rim for those tires, or would they mount to a Stan's Flow rim without issue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Vik! I forgot about those coming out soon. Do you think I'd need a wider rim for those tires, or would they mount to a Stan's Flow rim without issue?
    I rode the 29 x 3" Knard on the older Flow rims [narrower than the current Flow EX] and it was fine. I think the handling is improved with a wider rim, but not enough to spend the $$ to upgrade until you need to or feel like it.

I would just run them with your existing rims and see what you think first.

I assume they won't fit in the back of the Troll, but it would be worth trying just to see.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

troll
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I rode the 29 x 3" Knard on the older Flow rims [narrower than the current Flow EX] and it was fine. I think the handling is improved with a wider rim, but not enough to spend the $$ to upgrade until you need to or feel like it.

I would just run them with your existing rims and see what you think first.

I assume they won't fit in the back of the Troll, but it would be worth trying just to see.
    You're right... they probably wouldn't fit, as 2.7 is supposed to be the largest tire the rear of the Troll can take. I'm running 2.5 now, and in order to fit anything larger on the rear, I would need to readjust the wheel in relation to the dropout... which would make it a bit more tedious to remove and reattach the rear wheel. Right now, it's easy because I have it slammed all the way forward in the dropout.

The Troll will definitely take 650b, but you'd need to make sure your tire choices gave you the clearance in the rear. There's a user on here who upgraded to 650b on a smaller (16") Troll and it looks fine.

troll
    So, this begs the question... if, as others on here have posted, a 26" rear and a 650b front will cause some handling and "rollability" issues on a rigid-frame bike, would those same issues exist by putting a tire as large as a 2.75 on a 26" wheel? Surly seems to state that the upcoming Dirt Wizard 26 x 2.75 will have the same effective wheel size as 650b...