mtbr member

650B frame with 26 wheels?

All want to convert 26 to 650b, but can't find any posts regarding 26 on a 650B frame.
    Since 275 and 26 are close, would like to know if anyone tried, and if so, what they felt?
    thnkx

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Why would you want to? I guess if you brought a frame and had to save money to get the wheels. But otherwise you might as well just keep the 26" frame.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul View Post
    All want to convert 26 to 650b, but can't find any posts regarding 26 on a 650B frame.
    Since 275 and 26 are close, would like to know if anyone tried, and if so, what they felt?
    thnkx
    You're pulling our leg......
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I could see doing this in very specific instances:

- As a kid outgrows a 24" frame but isn't quite ready for a full 26" bike, it is not uncommon to use the 24" wheels on the 26" frame for up to a year.
    - You may have a set of tires that are fantastic for a particular season (rainy, snow, whatever) and want to be able to run those for that season but others the rest of the year.

And yes, it can certainly be done. Considerations are mainly about lowering the BB height. There should be no clearance issues.

Fred

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul View Post
    thnkx
    I would imagine they felt a lot of pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    it wasn't my idea to get wiped around with this question...
    I thought about BB height being a problem, but...
    DEMO has BB height (on low setting) 338mm.
    Norco Range 650B - 344mm (less travel than Demo)
    Radius of 650 tire is aorund 15mm (???) - and the Norco on a meaty 26 tires, BB height would be around: 330mm

as far as I understood, no one tried.
    thanks anyway!.

gravity fighter
    What are you trying to accomplish? I'm sure you can, but why would you want to?

~~~~~~~~
    I was going to try this but my Burner has a 15mm fork and 142 rear and my 26 wheels are all 20 and 135.

Not sure why the comparison between a Demo and Range though. I'm on a proto Burner with 320mm BB, and I ride a 08 DHR with a 350mm BB, I have way more pedal strikes on the DHR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The question of running 650's on a 29" frame has come up - too low BB height, long chainstays. So along those same lines 26's on a 650 frame will also have a low BB and longer stays = zero benefit plus most 650b specific frames are not cheap. Its like saying lets put 14" rims on a Hummer ???

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    I would imagine they felt a lot of pedal strikes.
    Devils advicate, I guess you could put shorter armed crankset on it to compensate. But then again, why?....

mtbr member
    1st I would like to highlight I m not masochist and asked has curiosity, since I couldn't nfind any info. I could stay quiet and not posting, but since I'm a curious person, I decided to post knowing that a) no one would answer, b) be answer like a troll or c) questioning my reasoning.
    Why do it? Maybe to experiment. Bb drop on 650b is normallybigger than 26 and since 26 are smaller your cg would drop by almost 20mm compared with a "normal" 26.

Ive placed the demo nb drop, just to highlight that although bb drop could be an issue, on the demo, you can have a low bb, with big travel on the back, and don't see people complaining about that.

It's not a question of why, but more a question- "i tried and for me is......"
    If I had, I would tried it, and wouldn't be a question of "buying a specific fork and frame, and not having money for the wheels"

Sorry for taking your time! Thnks

Ps: just like this yeli with 650. Why? Why not?http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/x-p...-b-842697.html

~~~~~~~~
    Tkul, I'm with you. Wanted to try it but not bad enough to deal with the hub fit, still may try some day with my Lyric up front. Got to say that the very low bb on my bike isn't giving me any issues and the motivation to run 26's is tires and fork.

I think this forum is a little sensitive because it's winter and they are all getting impatient for the cool new 27.5 stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Why not use 27.5er wheels?

mtbr member
    Use 27.5- yes, if it was design for it, why shouldn't you, right?
    Experiment 26 - why not?

Donīt take me wrong, my idea was only to know how it would feel a 275 with 26.

It's not having an idea / "commitment" of using 26 on 275 frames & forks.

Like the idea of having 275 on 29ers. It seems it suits some. Would I use like that? Sincerely it really doesn't interest - Really!

Let's say that would be an experiment "in name of MTB science!"

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I've been thinking about this concept with 27.5 wheels on a frame designed for 29?

The reasoning behind it is that no-one makes a carbon 29er that supports 140mm front fork.

You might say "why not buy a chinese 27.5 and put a longer fork on it?" Because those bikes are designed for 100mm forks. Sagged, at that. A 140mm fork would raise the BB on 27.5 bike an inch, along with the chopper look.

I believe such an odd build would probably still result in a slightly lower than stock bottom bracket, but that may not be a bad thing on a bike that has a higher-than-average stock bottom bracket height.

The only thing I'd worry about is the strength of the frame. The angles would change considerably, maybe outside those limits it was designed for.

You'd also have long chainstays, which could provide amble clearance for larger tires, or could have lots of empty space.

I'm not saying I'm going to do it, but we're bench building here, so this is my thought.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If some one tried I want to know because Im looking in to a khs sixfixty 300 but Im not going to buy it until I know because I have a set of 26wheels with road tires that I would use when I go to the street or around the neighbor hood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucasoildavid View Post
    If some one tried I want to know because Im looking in to a khs sixfixty 300 but Im not going to buy it until I know because I have a set of 26wheels with road tires that I would use when I go to the street or around the neighbor hood
    26" with road tires would make your bottom bracket way too low. If anything, you'd want to go the other direction-26" frame/trail tires with 650b road wheels/tires. If you want to run 650b on the trail, put 29"/700c wheels on for road use. That would keep your geometry pretty constant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another thing to remember is that because you're switching to a smaller wheel, you'll have less mechanical trail. That will make it feel as if your HTA is steeper, and the bike may feel less stable or more "twitchy" than it would for the wheel it was designed around. The effect is probably pretty small, but it's worth mentioning.

Also, on these forums, there are a number of people who have ridden a 650b in front and a 26" in rear, either because their frame couldn't accommodate the bigger wheel in back, or to slacken the bike out. There are no problems with that setup on a 26" frame (assuming the fork clears). I'd imagine the same would be said for running a 26" in the rear of a 650b frame with a 650b up front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    26" with road tires would make your bottom bracket way too low.
    He may mean something with a large volume, like a Maxxis Hookworm. Assuming he means something like a 26x1.5, though, you're dead on.

NedwannaB
    Good call on 700c.

mtbr member
    Even a big 26" slick would lower the BB by at least 1/2 inch, though, I would estimate. Maybe not a problem for road use.

NedwannaB
    Yeah one of my first ventures over into the conversion world was with a set of disc CX wheels and 32-35c tires on my 26" hardtails. It was only after getting a couple 45c FireXC Pro's that wouldn't fit that I decided to get a real 29r frame for those wheels. But by then I had 650 wheels for the ht and a 26" fs frame.

mtbr member
    I rode my Ventana a couple months with 26 while waiting for a wheelset I want to come out. It rode ok with no issues but its rides alot better since I got 650b wheels on it.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I had the same question and glad I searched.

I'm considering the bronson but I have a brand new 26" wheelset that I'd like to use for a while (until I can save up for a 650b wheelset).