mtbr member

650B with Fox Van 36???

Hello, just curious if anyone is running a Fox Van 36 with a 650b front wheel??? And i was also wondering what the best 650b rim is out there??? I am building a Titus Supermoto and want to run a 650 front wheel and maybe rear in the future if it fits. I am coming off a Trek 69er and really dug the big wheel up front.
    I thought about going with the new Ventana Chucho until i saw the msrp, OUCH!!! I have owned a few Ventana's over the past few years but this latest price increase just puts them out of reach, so time for a experiment......

Bog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster
    Hello, just curious if anyone is running a Fox Van 36 with a 650b front wheel??? And i was also wondering what the best 650b rim is out there??? I am building a Titus Supermoto and want to run a 650 front wheel and maybe rear in the future if it fits. I am coming off a Trek 69er and really dug the big wheel up front.
    I thought about going with the new Ventana Chucho until i saw the msrp, OUCH!!! I have owned a few Ventana's over the past few years but this latest price increase just puts them out of reach, so time for a experiment......

Bog

Add 1/2 - 3/4" to you current 26er diameter to check for clearance. My 2.35" Kenda Nevegal is 1/2" less in Diameter than a Blunt / 2.3 Neo-moto combo. I run a Velocity Blunt because it has a 28mm external width. Not too many rim / tire choices out... yet.

Sail On!
    I have both the Stan's 650B and the Velocity Blunt. If you want lightweight XC go Stan's. If your looking for more all mountain the Blunt is strong and 28mm wide so its gives you a better footprint with wider tires.

TNC
    noMAD man

Plenty of room.

I've run a Velocity Blunt/Neo combo in my Van 36 as well as a Stan's ZTR355/Neo. No problem in a Fox 36. If you want to run tubeless, the Blunt may not be the best choice. The Stan's wheel is a little narrower than I'd like for my Nomad, but it works fairly well. It's been bulletproof in tubeless mode. I'm only running the Blunt with a tube at this point.

My Van 36/Blunt is currently on my '99 Bullit. I love the Blunt size, weight, and strength, but I don't trust it set up as tubeless...for good reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reviewer/Tester
    Ive been running a Velocity Blunt set up as ghetto tubeless for a while now with no problems at all.

The blunt is a little too loose to run as a Stans yellow tape tubeless setup, but as ghetto it's fine. I have not had a single burp or roll-off the rim problem with the new Blunts, and i've really tried hard to get them to burp.

The 28mm wide rim gives you a nice footprint with a Neo Moto tire. Use a 26" tube and some Stans sealant or home brew mixture and everything will work well.
    One layer of cloth tape, One layer of Stans wide yellow tape, and the split 26" tube...

R.

Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster

Bog
    It is inevitable ...

emtb.pl
    I'm running a 650b in a '08 talas 36 for just under a year now without issues.
    Tubed with a blunt and tubeless on the ZTR355. Just run a rim strim though - you'll skip some issues I had with the yellowtape-only setup.