Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    me too. I think it stems from people not wanting to be labeled as "XC" riders, when I think most people's actual definitions of trail and AM fit into XC just fine. For me there was always "bikes that you pedal up", and "bikes that you don't really pedal at all".
    I do think that is a problem. There are people that think XC riders are to wimpy to handle rocks or roadies that ride smooth groomed dirt trail you can take an average 5 year old on.

The fact is that XC riding can be really tough riding and XC riders can be really skilled. It seems to me that mindset is as important as anything. That i why I liked Walt's description.

When I ride I ride every bit of the trail hard. I don't take it easy anywhere really. On the climbs I charge them and run right near max out put. On the descents I ride them hard too, but I will say that I back off to maybe 80-90% speed so as to reduce my crash risk. When it comes to techy stuff I will give most stuff a try, but I am not the type that seeks the toughest lines through a section or will to clear some section over and over again. I will walk it on stuff outside my comfort zone.

So for me I want a good all around bike with emphasis on climbing performance. I don't need go 20 mph down a rocky descent, but will be happy with 15 mph. I don't tackle big jumps or drops over about 2 feet, but I will ride 1 to 1.5 foot drops all day long. I like to pick my way around terrain rather than fly over it. I also like a maneuverable bike where I have feel what it is doing and make it respond. I don't ride to plow over stuff like it not even there. I ride to enjoy the challenge of working around and over terrain.

So given this heavy long travel bikes don't appeal to me. The idea of 29er freight train is kind of nice if raced alot, but I have done 1 mtb race. I will do more, but I doubt enough to warrant bike just for that. Plus I will never be as fast as some so I will not try and just have fun. So for now I ride 26" hardtail. Maybe 650 would be better for me. I don't really know. I don't have the money to experiment so I just have been sitting and watching how this plays out.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Ride things with a motor for a few years, and it will become much clearer.
    WHAT will become " much clearer"?

Plus if I'm going to spend money on new toys, the LAST toy I would buy would be one with a motor. These new 27.5" AM/trail bikes are expensive enough.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    me too. I think it stems from people not wanting to be labeled as "XC" riders, when I think most people's actual definitions of trail and AM fit into XC just fine. For me there was always "bikes that you pedal up", and "bikes that you don't really pedal at all".
    Yes and no. There is also the issue is whether the bike is suited to the terrain. My only trip to Moab 4 years ago was done on a 4" Jamis Dakar 26'er, a bike easy to pedal up and one in had no troubled riding down. Rode Amassa Back, Porcupine Rim (starting at Hazard County) among other trails before doing the Whole Enchilada last ride, last day. By the time that was finished, I had cracked the chainstays on both sides of the bike. Can't help but think that a bike with another inch or two of travel and/or bigger wheels and/or sturdier construction, would have been a better tool. On my Bucket List to test that idea out.

PS. I would never own a bike that couldn't hold it's own going up. Not good enough a bike handler to ride down well on a DH bike, so it's a matter of pride "earning" descents by climbing and doing that to the best of my and the bike's capability.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Depends on the area you ride and what you like to ride and want the bike to do..

My trails are very steep-- sketchy-- hold on for dear life at speed rides.. Lots of switch backs and rocks and drops-- very technical.. So for me-- a 29er just felt to big and not nimble enough for me.. I ended up with a 650/mojoHD and am happy..

If your back east or somewhere that is more flat vs lots of elevation and you are able to keep your speed up higher-- not as much switchbacks or technical-- Then id rather have a 29er and enjoy hammering at speed...

Its coming down to horses for courses..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2