mtbr member
    May 2013

650b compatible 26" fs with easily removable swingarm?

Looking for a lightweight full suspension 26" bike that will accept 650b wheels...but I also need the rear triangle (or swingarm) to be easily and quickly removable because I plan to pack the bike (and the 26" wheels) into a large suitcase for when I'm flying, without having to pay crazy airline bicycle fees. I want 650b wheels for use when I'm home, but they'll be too big for the luggage. A 26x26x10" bag should do it while staying within the allowed checked bag sizing. I was looking at some newTrek fs bikes today, but the crank has to be removed to get the swingarm bolts out. Any suggestions?

NedwannaB

Late model Superlight

Quote Originally Posted by crgf1k View Post
    Looking for a lightweight full suspension 26" bike that will accept 650b wheels...but I also need the rear triangle (or swingarm) to be easily and quickly removable because I plan to pack the bike (and the 26" wheels) into a large suitcase for when I'm flying, without having to pay crazy airline bicycle fees. I want 650b wheels for use when I'm home, but they'll be too big for the luggage. A 26x26x10" bag should do it while staying within the allowed checked bag sizing. I was looking at some newTrek fs bikes today, but the crank has to be removed to get the swingarm bolts out. Any suggestions?
    Pretty sure depending on what crank setup you run. That's what I'm hoping to be able to do with a 1x setup.
    Name:  650 superlight.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  54.2 KB
    *Disclaimer-Pix credit to tommyrod. He is selling this almost new frame/fork actually. Size Large I believe.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I see what you mean...a triple sprocket setup might prevent those bolts from being removed. I wonder how long those bolts are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have a Carbine with XT cranks,both come off easy in minutes!

NedwannaB
    I see what you mean...a triple sprocket setup might prevent those bolts from being removed. I wonder how long those bolts are.
    Maybe 2.75-3" max I would think. If they come off from the opp side then no prob! May drop by lbs today for some weekend riding supplies I can look at a '13 (26" version 3.3 has tapered head tube change only I think) they have there. But I'll know for sure Mon-Tues when my frame arrives.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    I have a Carbine with XT cranks,both come off easy in minutes!
    Ya looking at a picture of a Carbine Intense, it looks like the rear triangle could be removed while the cranks, upper & lower links and shock could all stay in place(?)

mtbr member
    i dissembled my '03 heckler (medium frame w/ ~17" ST and ~22.7" ETT) for packing into standard sized luggage so as to avoid extra fees charged by airlines for bikes.

i separated the swingarm from the frame, and packed everything except fork and bars in one of those S&S Coupler hard shell suitcases. i packed the fork and bars (along w/ my riding gear) in a 30" rolling duffel bag.

that was years before riders started converting 26" bikes to 27.5" wheels, but the S&S Coupler suitcase was designed to fit 700 road wheels (622mm rim diameter) so it should fit the 27.5"/650B rims (584mm diameter) without any problems.

i don't remember if i had to remove crankset from the frame to remove the swingarm.

and of course, ymmv depending on which SC single pivot model/year/size frame you choose for your conversion.

NedwannaB

Looks doable

650b compatible 26" fs with easily removable swingarm?-superlite-pivot.jpg

No problem getting pivot bolt out to me.