mtbr member

650b coming in mass production

What does everyone think of the 650b going viral next year? Is anyone planning on forking out the money to try and pick up one? Or do you plan on doing a custom build as others have done in the past? What do you think will happen with 26ers can we expect less from them? I dont think they will be extinct but maybe top of the line 26ers will be of the past. I think they may become just a 5-700 dollar entry level bike.

mtbr member
    I agree with your take on the 26ers future. Entry level 26ers and 650b if you want to go upscale.
    Last edited by Clicker1; 08-17-2013 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I can't even find any 26ers or 650b at the shops near me... They are trying to force everyone to buy 29ers, but they feel so damn goofy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    They ARE goofy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kakka View Post
    I can't even find any 26ers or 650b at the shops near me... They are trying to force everyone to buy 29ers, but they feel so damn goofy.
    Yeah, my trusted but fully committed to 29er LBS has brought in a couple 27.5 Santa Cruz's, but still no tires or much else to speak of. They're a Trek dealer, so that may start to change next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The biggest bike shop in my area is a Trek and specialized dealer. The only bike i saw in 650b worth over $500 was a trek 4300 at $739. Most expensive 26er was about $400...

I'm looking to spend $1-1.3k on a new hardtail, but nobody is selling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Most hardtails are 29ers. That might be the way it stays. Might be the same with 4" full-suspension bikes, but I hope not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    27.5 is here to stay in a big way! I bought a converted Carbine to get my legs wet on a 27.5 and have the Pivot Mach 6 on order. all though the change from 26er is subtle but in a way that overall contributes to my ride and the more aggressive terrain I enjoy.I still have a 26er in which to compare to which now sits more often then not and will part with it soon.

My LBS has Niner,Ventana and Lynskey in stock ready to roll and soon Trek and Pivot in stock,rims and tires aplenty! sales are great for 27.5 but not so great for 26er and many of my friends now shifted over and according to my shop sales are down to non existent for 26.looking like in very near future you will only find 27.5 and 29ers with the exception of DH bikes "for now" in your LBS.and IMO this is great for the riders and bike shops!

mtbr member
    I honestly despise the way they feel 29ers feel. You cant really lay them down in the corner the same. I will admit yes it is nice how they roll over everything easier but it takes the fun out of being technical and having to really work to get the bike through stuff. Coming from motocross I felt very comfy on a 650b but it still was not perfect. So just for the hell of it I put a 26" wheel on the back and it was kinda wild. I will post pics later.

mtbr member
    Shirks?

Too Much Fun

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson112 View Post
    I honestly despise the way they feel 29ers feel. You cant really lay them down in the corner the same. I will admit yes it is nice how they roll over everything easier but it takes the fun out of being technical and having to really work to get the bike through stuff.
    Exactly. I built myself up a nice light 29er hardtail and while I dig it for XC stuff, it just not flickable like my 26" bikes have all been, especially in tight quarters. It's got a plenty short wheelbase, short stays, small frame etc, it's just the wheels.

And sure, it's fun, but it's not FUN! fun.

I don't despise it, and I'm gonna keep it as my primary HT, but I'm way more excited about 650b and 26" in general, which is partly why I'm so stoked on the Ibis HDR. I really like being able to flip/flop between the two smaller sizes.

My gut feeling is that Giant is right, 26" is going to fade away and 29" will hang on a bit longer. We'll see.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pnelson112 View Post
    What does everyone think of the 650b going viral next year?
    If you haven't noticed, they've already "gone viral" this year.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting a 650b trail bike. Was going to get a 26er until 650b exploded all of the sudden. A year ago, it was hard to find a 29er trail bike! Now they're all 29ers, and starting to have some 650b choices. I can't believe how fast that change happened!

Waiting to see the geo and prices on Trek's new models before I make a decision.

If not 650b, I'll get a 26er. Already have a 29er XC bike, and 29" feels too big for aggressive trail riding.

mtbr member
    I might jump in to a mass production model. The Marin nail trail or indian fire. The dealer that carries them said he hates 27.5, and I should go with a 29". He said it is a marketing scam, and solves a problem that doesn't exist. I said so what makes them different than 29's?

Chad

mtbr member
    The manufacturers and bike shops will wring out the 29er market before pushing 650b hard.
    Unless they decide to fill the slot between 650b and 29er, I look forward to the 26" revival a few years from now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Finally found a shop selling 26ers ht
    Bought one, love it

mtbr member
    I remember about 5 years ago when Jamis came out with the first 650b and everyone laughed. No it has gone Viral ^^^ as said above. Every company just about carrying them for 2014 and most of them are more geared to all mtn riding than trail. But NOT all of them. I am curious to whether or not we may see more downhill guys using them for the World Cup. I also agree with the above statement of already excited when the will make the 26" a big deal again. I know Jamis almost completely stop carrying high end 26ers and everything seems more geared to 650 and 29ers.