Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

650b Carbon Hardtails for 09 ?

After riding my Gary Fisher Superfly for a year and loving the Carbon Frame with it's super stiff BB and great ride quality, I do wish it was a quicker handling bike in the tight stuff. I really like way my 26" wheel Titus Racer X or my old Merlin XLM handle when the going gets tight. But I sure miss the roll of the big wheels with them.

yampydog Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper fits the bill, but I don't care for Specialized proprietary fork with the 1 1/8 to 1.5 headset / steer tube for 09 limiting other fork options.

A lot of manufactures have new Carbon 26" hardtails for 2009. I think it's important that the frame set be designed for a 100mm fork so you can run the fork at 80mm and still keep the quick handling with the 650b wheel.

This is a list of 26" Wheel Carbon frame hardtails with a 100mm fork that I've found. If anyone is able to get a wheel fit please post it here.

Trek - 9 Series, 9.9 SSL, 9.8, and 9.7
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...es/elite99ssl/

Giant - XTC Advance
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2414/32150/

Specialized - S-Works, Stumpjumper Expert * (90mm fork) *
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...d=39221&eid=99

Rocky Mountain - Vertex 70 RSL, Vertex 50 RSL
    http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+...tml?BIKE=531#2

Felt - Six Team, Elite
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...-six-team.aspx

Bianchi - Oetzi 9700 , Oetzi 9500, Oetzi 9300
    http://www.bianchi.com/it/products20...ing_Y9B67.aspx

Ridley - Ignite Team, Ignite Red
    http://www.ridley-bikes.com/bikes.ph...gory=6&bike=18

mtbr member
    I believe someone posted photos of a 650b fitting in back on a Stumpy SWorks carbon hardtail

I think it might also work on a Salsa Moto Rapido as well but can't confirm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I believe someone posted photos of a 650b fitting in back on a Stumpy SWorks carbon hardtail

C:\Docuhttp://www.mtb-forum.it/community/forum/showthread.php?t=114077&page=3ments and Settings\liuk64\Desktop\27,5er.JPG my oetzi 09 650b
    Last edited by luklander; 12-04-2008 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG

yampydog post on his S-Works is a nice package. But all the 09 Big S bikes have a 1 1/8 to 1.5 headset so you are unable to use a Fox fork or any standard 1 1/8 steer tube fork .

I did look at the Salsa Moto Rapido, but its designed to use a 80mm fork with a 26" wheel so that frame is out for me.

mtbr member
    Ibis Tranny

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/tranny/

Hans says: "The design for a 29r would be pretty different. They aren't that interchangable. We haven't checked 650 B, but I suspect it will fit with minimal clearance as it does on the Mojo."

mtbr member
    Cannondale Taurine

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by VTmojo
    Ibis Tranny

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/tranny/

Hans says: "The design for a 29r would be pretty different. They aren't that interchangable. We haven't checked 650 B, but I suspect it will fit with minimal clearance as it does on the Mojo."
    I followed one of these up the hill on Thursday, spying at the tire clearance. I have to say no it won't fit a small 650b, or if it does, it is an impossibly tight fit.
    Nice apple green SS frame bike though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Tapered head steer tube.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    yampydog post on his S-Works is a nice package. But all the 09 Big S bikes have a 1 1/8 to 1.5 headset so you are unable to use a Fox fork or any standard 1 1/8 steer tube fork .

I did look at the Salsa Moto Rapido, but its designed to use a 80mm fork with a 26" wheel so that frame is out for me.

I think that S offers a retro fit to use any other fork on the Stumpy, but not sure why you want to when their fork is uber stiff and pretty light.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodude2112
    I think that S offers a retro fit to use any other fork on the Stumpy, but not sure why you want to when their fork is uber stiff and pretty light.

...and fwiw, made by X-Fusion.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

nothing relevant to say
    The MotoRapido from Salsa will fit a Quasi-Moto, and a Neo is very tight. A Racing Ralph may fit very nicely!
    I'd like to try the VooDoo carbon tailed frame. Sobo, I think.

mtbr member
    I saw a stumpy FS bike in the shop with one of the new Big S forks (made by Xfusion) and I thought to myself - damn there is a lot of arch clearance with those Big S forks. Someone go a testin!

Mark

mtbr member
    The VooDoo Sobo looks like a nice frame,

Scandiam Tubing, Carbon seat Stays, 100mm fork and reasonably priced.

http://www.voodoocycles.net/08_sobo.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

nothing relevant to say
    Well I have a Maverick hub laced to a 650b. Was the fork you saw the 25mm Specialized speific or standard dropout stlye?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hey Cracked Headtube

You mention that the moto-rapido frame will accept the quasi-moto and possibly other tires, have you ever tried out to fit a 650b wheel in the Salsa Juan Solo frame? Looks like the frame specs could be the same.

nothing relevant to say
    No Juans around here. And I think it has been discontinued. I liked that frame. I'd rather not make any speculations about the 1Solo, do you have one? I'll post on my local forum to see if anyone 'round here has one.

Baby Bear is in the house

Updates on Juan Solo 650B???

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    No Juans around here. And I think it has been discontinued. I liked that frame. I'd rather not make any speculations about the 1Solo, do you have one? I'll post on my local forum to see if anyone 'round here has one.
    I'm looking at a potentially good deal on an '05 Juan Solo, but need to know if it will fit 650B on the rear. Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one.

Any updates on whether anyone has tried fitting a 650B wheel on the back of the 'Solo?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    I'm looking at a potentially good deal on an '05 Juan Solo, but need to know if it will fit 650B on the rear. Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one.

Any updates on whether anyone has tried fitting a 650B wheel on the back of the 'Solo?

Does the Juan share the same rear end as the moto? If so, then I thought the Moto would clear a Quasi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have my Cannondale Flash for 3 weeks now.
    650B wheels with QuasiMoto fit
    rear and front

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by BertP
    rear and front

WE NEED PICTURES!

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    rear and front
    hit us with pics please!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    rear and front

Pics now or be banned!!!!!!

I have my F1 on order.

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I got an idea. How about using a Niner Air 9 Carbon frame? It's got a big EBB with 17mm throw, and if you set it in the 12'oclock position, and use a 110mm Lefty- fork, then the crank height and head angle should be pretty normal. Or what do you think?

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan
    I got an idea. How about using a Niner Air 9 Carbon frame? It's got a big EBB with 17mm throw, and if you set it in the 12'oclock position, and use a 110mm Lefty- fork, then the crank height and head angle should be pretty normal. Or what do you think?
    Because that would negate one of the benefits of 650Bs over 29ers, i.e., short chainstays. IIRC that's one of the reasons why it's generally not a good idea to use any 29er frame for a 650B conversion.
    Neat idea about the EBB though
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

???

Where is it engraved in stone that a 29er frame can't run 650b?
    It depends on the frame. Some 26er frame are lousy with 650b's. Some are great.
    Some 26 frames convert to 69 well. You don't know until you try it.
    I'd be happy to give an Air 9 a ride in almost any configuration(Niner, if you're reading this send one my way)

This is from here

Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Because that would negate one of the benefits of 650Bs over 29ers, i.e., short chainstays. IIRC that's one of the reasons why it's generally not a good idea to use any 29er frame for a 650B conversion.
    Neat idea about the EBB though

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Jamis makes the new dXC Team which I think is probably the best looking hardtail out there, but I am a fan of Jamis stuff in general. Not sure about tire clearance yet but it is a 100mm fork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast