mtbr member
    Jan 2004

650b Blunt and Synergy

I built a set of 27.5 wheels several months ago using Velocity Synergy's. They built up easily, have stayed true and I can run them with V-brakes. The Neo-Motos are excellent tires IMO and have great traction. The minus is that the rims that I have are on the small side and are a loose fit with the Neo-Motos. When I inflate the tires I really have to make sure that the bead is seated well in the rim. I haven't had them roll off but I knew that the Blunt was a better fit.

So I got a Blunt rim and built up another front wheel. Before I laced it up, I put it edge to edge with the Synergy and the Blunt was visibly just a bit wider in diameter. The wheel built up easily and the Neo-Moto went on perfectly wihout a hitch. This combo has no bead issues, rolls rounder and the wider rim gives a wider tire casing as well. Kirk P. emailed me a while back that he's working with Velocity about the Synergy diam.

Currently I still have to run a V in the back since I don't have a frame with disc tabs. My next step is to have a frame converted or get a new frame. The tires in the photo are not new, riding wet pavement just cleans them off.

mnt bike laws of physics

Nice!

Thanks for the info Steelbike.

How much tension did you put on the spokes? I noticed there are no eyelets in the spoke holes and judging by how thin the aluminum is on this rim(from the pic on their website), I would think the tension should be kept fairly low.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet

How much tension did you put on the spokes? I noticed there are no eyelets in the spoke holes and judging by how thin the aluminum is on this rim(from the pic on their website), I would think the tension should be kept fairly low.
    The wall thickness is sufficient at the spoke bed. I built mine with the same tension (which is on the high side of the acceptable range) I'd build a wheel with eyelets.

nothing relevant to say
    FWIW
    I've built 12 wheels with the 650B Blunts, using DB 2.0-1.8 spokes, and American Classic alloy nipples. My chosen range using the DT Tensio is 1.4-1.6. I've had very good results. I'd probably go lower in the future to see how that works. I always lube the nipple/spoke hole interface with a Tri-Flow/ STP mix. To keep friction low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yogi, without thinking about it beforehand i went ahead and just built the wheel by sight and touch and didn't use the tension meter. I hadn't built up a non-eyelet rim in a while and I did have some concern with the alloy nipples but they worked out fine. I did overtension a non-eyelet road rim 20 years ago and cracked the rim.

After I read your reply I went and measured with the tension meter(Park TM-1) and it measured in the same range as my other wheels. Reading SSmikes and Cracked HT's replies is reassuring as their building experiences are far beyond mine.
    '

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blunt vs Syngery thoughts

I have now built up one of each of these rims and had been meaning to post my own impressions. In terms of overall quality, I was rather surpirsed at how poorly the Blunt rims appeared to have been finished. Virtually every spoke hole had remnants of the drilling process that had to be pulled out of the rim with a pair of needle nosed pliers. I've never had to do that before. The welding seam in the rim also seemed rather unfinished, it was under the decal, but stuck out enough to bother me when truing the wheel. The Synergy on the other hand semed to be VERY well constructed. Welded seam was very clean and the spoke holes were clean, deburred and eyeletted. I did have an issue ttrying to mount a brnad new NeoMoto on the Synergy though. The bead kept slipping out as I inflated the tire and I was worried that the bead mayhave been flawed. On a hunch, I took the 'older' NeoMoto that I had installed on the Blunt wheel and it aired up immediately, without slipping and after fours days of riding, it has been perfect. The new tire DID seat immediately on the Blunt rim, with no issues. Both wheels did true up very easily. I apologize for not having any pictures attached, but will rectify that soon. The synergy wheel is doing rear SS duty on my Matt Chester Ute which is set up as a 97.5'er and the Blunt wheel is on My Moots Smoothie which is now a 650b front and 26" rear with a 29er Reba fork.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

nothing relevant to say
    "The synergy wheel is doing rear SS duty on my Matt Chester Ute which is set up as a 97.5'er and the Blunt wheel is on My Moots Smoothie which is now a 650b front and 26" rear with a 29er Reba fork."

Geez what a mess......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "The synergy wheel is doing rear SS duty on my Matt Chester Ute which is set up as a 97.5'er and the Blunt wheel is on My Moots Smoothie which is now a 650b front and 26" rear with a 29er Reba fork."

Geez what a mess.....

I just can;t ride small wheels anymore, at least small front wheels. I feel like every slight decline is an endo just waiting to happen. I was unwilling to give up the Moots as it was a 40th B'Day present, so I tried it as a 96er set-up and didn;t like the feel at all. The 650b wheel feels better to me and the 80mm Reba 29er fork has the same c-a-l as the 100mm Fox Float that had been there. The Ute is such an awesome bike. I was really enjoying it as a 96er, but figured the slightly larger rear wheel would better balance the feel...which it has. I guess in retrospect I should just sell all my non-29'ers, but I am unwilling to part with them.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono