mtbr member
    Dec 2012

650B bikes in 2014. Will they ever be cheap?

It looks like 650B will be the most expensive wheel standard in the near future. Will it change? I know there are cheap hardtails but now I'm talking about 140-150mm full suspension rigs. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by trailrider24 View Post
    It looks like 650B will be the most expensive wheel standard in the near future. Will it change? I know there are cheap hardtails but now I'm talking about 140-150mm full suspension rigs. What do you think?
    I can have a dream. But all the big manufacturers who are finishing up designs in this category are putting up big price tags. I think after they are out for a while the price will drop to something more reasonable.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    I noticed this as well and I have thoughts on this.....

-The 650b currently is being slightly driven more by market demand than manufacturers, it wasn't the case with 29ers where some of the manufacturers were actually considering walking away from them before they finally caught on and started selling well. Many of your smaller builders are being dragged into 650b by forums like this where people are "butchering" their 26" platforms to run bigger rollers. They know they have a captive customer base hungry for product and have been waiting for this new wave of frames for a while. They don't have to talk someone into larger hoops like with 29ers, they are being talked into it by existing mountain bikers.

-The other angle here is that 650b/27.5 is still such a niche that the casual rider or newbie doesn't even know about it, it is in demand by riders that have experience and preference for a certain level of quality and have a "realistic" view of what the price range will be, less sticker shock. They won't have a new rider walking into a shop looking for a 140mm 650b bike in the $500 range. When companies set the entry price points for a product they are trying to balance the "whats the most we can get without jeopardizing the sale" with the sticker shock that will not even get a potential customer to look at the bike and see what's in the price package.

When I bought my first bike before I walked into my LBS for the first time I honestly thought that if Walmart is selling it for $150 than I can get a nice bike for $350, I was way wrong and quickly realized that the entry level was $500 but I still bought a bike. If there was nothing under $1k I would have walked and stayed with the cheap bike longer. Now I don't even think about $2,500 bikes, thats just what a good one cost.

With the 650b market/customer thats educated on bikes and what they cost the concern about sticker shock can go out the window and manufacturers can focus on getting the most for the package without letting the sale walk. I still have some sticker shock but only for options over $5k, I mean seriously, I can't be the only guy that did a spit take when I saw the cost of the Scott Genius 650b when they didn't have any options in the more affordable range?!?!?!?!
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'd assume it's like any other new "standard," it has to start in the high end stuff and if that is well received then it will work its way down. I think 29ers filled a much more obvious void so it was easier for companies to commit to that standard, but since 650b is a very debatable issue it doesn't make sense to mass produce much price point stuff until a season or two of sales are out there to study.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yes, 650B is much like how you described it. I'm truly shocked by the price/package (I don't say value cuz people will attack me why I'm judging Scott) of Scott bikes... I'm not the guy who wants to get an 650B bike and abandon my 26er, but I'm afraid that the support of the 26er will disappear just like on iPhones. Want this new awesome function or app or anithing on your phone, get a new high-end one and broke.
    So mainly money is problem. Most of the companies makes bikes to the big countries with money to spend, but what will poorer guys get? Supermarkt bikes? Hell no.
    I hope once the new wheelsize settles down (and 26ers doesn't disappear) bike business will calm down for a while.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    In my honest Opinion this is NOT going to change much in the Future, just the Opposite. But this is not a 650B-Thing alone, because Prizes went up at least for every Wheelsize and their spezific Parts.
    The simple Reason: Carbon, Carbon, Carbon everywere ... did I mention Carbon ... Even Alloy seems to get more expensive, too ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah, carbon... I like it very much, but manufacturers should do aluminium version from all of their bikes. Carbon isn't the only factor though. For example you can get a Canyon Grand Canyon CF SLX 8.9 (yes long name) carbon 29er with awesome parts for 2000, if you can wait 6-10 month to get it because they don't have on stock. Quite popular.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yes they will. Giant will have two models next year. You can always count on Giant for good value for money.
    Cube is another one that is always good value for money. Their stereo super hpc 160 race is one example.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    "New" technology is always more expensive. Look at Shimano's clutch derailleurs. Trickle-down technology happens after a year or two. Demand will decrease a bit, and companies will start to compete with other companies. That's just how business works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Am I the only one who thinks 650 prices are pretty much on par with 26's and 29's? I mean any full suspension bike with a decent parts spec now a days starts in $2000-$3000 range.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rumor (not telling) is the Rocky is gonna go heavy 650B for 2014. Good possibility of some shorter travel and less expensive models.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Compare 26" and 650b prices for the Norco Sight. You're going to pay a couple hundred dollars more for a similarly spec'd 650 bike.

I chose the 26" Sight 2 for my new bike. Couldn't justify the cost difference for a small performance difference, and didn't want to give up my collection of 26" tires.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Rumor (not telling) is the Rocky is gonna go heavy 650B for 2014. Good possibility of some shorter travel and less expensive models.
    Rocky was the first company to completely eliminate brake bosses, so I would say they are a good bellweather indicator.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Compare 26" and 650b prices for the Norco Sight. You're going to pay a couple hundred dollars more for a similarly spec'd 650 bike.
    Norco recently adjusted their advertised retail prices to narrow the gap between 26" and 650 wheels. My dealer told me their cost is still higher for 650, plus the demand is much higher for 650.

dwt
    mtbr member

Currently, demand for 650b is high; supply low. Econ 101.

Santa Cruz, Giant, GT, are the most recent well known companies to jump on the bandwagon. Once Spesh and Trek come to the party, both the supply and variety of bikes will increase. Variety in terms of HT, 4", 5", 6" and greater FS to choose between. Then they will be as common as 26" and 29", and no longer the new and exotic flavor of the month to attract impulsive buyers.

Once everyone makes a few models, and has to compete for the consumer dollar, why shouldn't the quality go up even as prices go down?

Any "real" economists or industry insiders out there?

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    I noticed this as well and I have thoughts on this.....

-The 650b currently is being slightly driven more by market demand than manufacturers, it wasn't the case with 29ers where some of the manufacturers were actually considering walking away from them before they finally caught on and started selling well. Many of your smaller builders are being dragged into 650b by forums like this where people are "butchering" their 26" platforms to run bigger rollers. They know they have a captive customer base hungry for product and have been waiting for this new wave of frames for a while. They don't have to talk someone into larger hoops like with 29ers, they are being talked into it by existing mountain bikers.

-The other angle here is that 650b/27.5 is still such a niche that the casual rider or newbie doesn't even know about it, it is in demand by riders that have experience and preference for a certain level of quality and have a "realistic" view of what the price range will be, less sticker shock. They won't have a new rider walking into a shop looking for a 140mm 650b bike in the $500 range. When companies set the entry price points for a product they are trying to balance the "whats the most we can get without jeopardizing the sale" with the sticker shock that will not even get a potential customer to look at the bike and see what's in the price package.

When I bought my first bike before I walked into my LBS for the first time I honestly thought that if Walmart is selling it for $150 than I can get a nice bike for $350, I was way wrong and quickly realized that the entry level was $500 but I still bought a bike. If there was nothing under $1k I would have walked and stayed with the cheap bike longer. Now I don't even think about $2,500 bikes, thats just what a good one cost.

With the 650b market/customer thats educated on bikes and what they cost the concern about sticker shock can go out the window and manufacturers can focus on getting the most for the package without letting the sale walk. I still have some sticker shock but only for options over $5k, I mean seriously, I can't be the only guy that did a spit take when I saw the cost of the Scott Genius 650b when they didn't have any options in the more affordable range?!?!?!?!
    Have to admit that I didn't really sweat the price of the Scott rides but my LBS really sent me over the edge when they cut a great deal. Now I'm on my best whip in 30 years. All of the rides at this price range must kick ass!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Was in the market for new 26er FS bike but might wait till next year and see what 650b bikes coming out...heard rumors that Trek Fuel will have 650b bike for 2014. Will have to demo the 27.5 wheel out and see what all the buzz about. (BEERS)

mtbr member
    There is no reason from manufacturing cost perspective that 650b need be any more expensive than 26 or 29 offerings. All it is a slightly larger wheel and tire. Of course right now supply of 650b parts is low that will keep prices up. Plus sale price is driven by market demand not mfg cost. If 650b takes off and there is mass appeal prices will drop to a level similar to any 26 or 29 offering of similar quality. There is nothing new in 650b size that makes it some how more expensive due it is design. This is unlike hardtail frame compared to FS frame. FS frames will always cost more than an equivalent HT frame due to extra parts need and extra time needed to manufacture it.

I don't expect cheap 650b bikes in 2014. Maybe you might see more value priced bikes in 2015, but it depends how 650 is viewed in the overall market. Right now the bike mfg are experimenting with it hoping it will be good money maker for them
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sticker shock was my first thing when I went in to buy my first real bike...I know that these bike can get up there and $5000 is like in the middle compared to the Specialized Enduro coming out at 10K. When I bought my 2011 Enduro S- Works I was like you want $8 grand for this? I was like WTF? I bought my CRF450R for less then that and it has a motor.....so ya even tho I still bought a bike I still atleast to me the market is kinda high on prices, esp coming from a dirt bike background but hey I love my Enduro and I got what I paid for you can say.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Quote Originally Posted by zedi View Post
    Wrong link

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    Wrong link
    This?

http://m.bikeradar.com/news/article/...rdtails-37076/

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.