Thread: 650b Battle

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

650b Battle

So I need help deciding between the new Santa Cruz Heckler and Rocky Mountain Altitude 730/750. My budget is about $3000, but I could probably bump up to a touch more for the 750. I have test ridden a 770msl altitude and really liked how it fit, and how well it climbed. The only thing I didn't like was the rear suspension, it felt like it has less travel and lacked good pop.
    I have never ridden a single pivot or a heckler, but initial reviews look good. The simplicity of a single pivot sounds good. No one has the Heckler in stock in my area so I need input from my fellow mountain bikers. I know the geo is the same as the Bronson, and I only have ridden a Bronson in a parking lot, but it felt heavy and reluctant. Obviously a parking lot is not a true test ride so I need opinions please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A little background about myself. I need a one bike quiver for all day rides, xc/all mountain trails and occasional bike park use and 650b only. My trails are 50 percent up 50 percent down. I have owned two 29 er hardtails, not stiff enough and didn't like the big wheels. I also have owned a Transition transam ( 26 inch steel hardtail with a 6 inch fork) and a giant trance with a 140 fork ( best pedaling bike I have ever ridden but always wished for more travel.

Test ridden the following:
    Trek fuel 26 inch - to xc for me and didn't pedal as good as my trance
    Trek remedy 26 inch - decent pedaler and loved the travel
    Trek remedy 650b - didn't like the geo at all, specifically the 67 degree seat tube angle
    Santa Cruz tallboy lt - pedaled good, descended like a downhill bike, but didnt like the 29 wheels
    Yeti sb-95 - pedaled awesome, good trail pop, but lacked small bump sensitivity and didn't like the 29 inch wheels.
    Santa Cruz Bronson in a parking lot - geo felt good but felt heavy and jumping off curbs the suspension ramp up was to fast
    Rocky mountain Altitude - Best climbing bike I have ever ridden, great fit/geo, but the rear suspension felt like less travel and lacked trail pop (mushy)needed more rear dampening. Can't rule it out because of the ride 9.