mtbr member

650b in 29er frame

Anyone tried 650b wheels in a 29er frame? I assume it would work fine it would just drop the bb a little.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't do it on a frame like a Karate Monkey that already has a low bottom bracket.

Also - many 29ers have "long" chainstays - some hardtails as much as 17.9" or so - that would be about an inch longer than many 26" conversion frames, or what most dedicated 650b bikes feature (for example the Haro Beasley is something like 16.75").

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Also - many 29ers have "long" chainstays - some hardtails as much as 17.9" or so - that would be about an inch longer than many 26" conversion frames, or what most dedicated 650b bikes feature (for example the Haro Beasley is something like 16.75").

Ye, kinda defeats the purpose of going 650B if you use a 29er frame... Isn't that one of the benefits of 650B, the shorter chainstays? (and generally better overall, 26"-like geometry)
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

Well.....

I ride Ventana which have long stays already on all their frames, my Padrino 29er frame has a cs length of 17.9, i have a EL BASTARDO 650b frame coming that has a cs length of 17.55 so not much difference. The reason i ask is i want to try a 650b in the rear of the Padrino with a 29er up front, i rode a 69er last year and loved it! Only problem is the bb height is 12" so i am worried about dropping it more.....

I will just give it a try and report back.

TNC
    noMAD man
    That will be one pedal smacking setup even if the rest of the geometry is workable for riding.

mtbr member

midwest

I live in Minnesota, not too much to smack pedals on, a few rock gardens here and there but generally you coast through them and keep your pedals neutral.....

nothing relevant to say
    You're also talking FS comapred to a HT, when considering CS length. I have a custom ht coming with 16.5" CS, and my current rig is just shy of 17". I chose 17" only because I couldn't get the chainstay bend properly set for big chainring clearance.

As for 650b in a 29er frame: It will get you TOTALLY wrong impressions of the 650b platform. It gives the bike, what I like to call, a squatty 29er feel. You maintain the longer than nessesary wheelbase, as well as the steering configuration of a regular 29er.
    I put a 130mm 26" fork where a 100mm 29" should have been to maintain a decent BB height, along with rotating the EBB to the up-most position. It gave me a 12 1/8" BB height, but the log stays/wheelbase were still too much like a 29er. An experiment I learned from, and would not recommend.
    A 26 converted to a 650B is a much better way to interperate the difference of wheelsizes, while maintaining the nimble characteristics of a 26" frame. This is where 650B benefits over a 29" wheel.

mtbr member

Good points

I will just leave the 650 wheels on the fs rig and the 29er wheels on the hardtail. I am going to experiment with a 29er up front on the Bastardo. I am going to run a manitou minute 29 100mm fork so i cna run both 650 and 29er on the front.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Bogmonster, let me know how it turns out. I have a extra El Rey frame lying around and I really don't want to sell it. I wonder if the El Bastardo rear triangle would help with bottom bracket height.