mtbr member

650 compared to 29er

Currently riding a KM. Really like the 29er in comparison to the 26er I used to ride. I am thinking of giving the Haro Beasley a shot, trying out both the ss and the 650b. How do people who have ridden both (650 and 29, not necessarily the models mentioned).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been riding 29ers for over 4 years. I recently got a 650B SS that I really like. So far I'm happy, but I still have 2 more things to test. (Too bad it going to rain bad all week) I want to ride my 29er again (been on the 650B for about 7 straight rides), to get a comparison. I also want to try a 29er front wheel.

I personally don't think it as a bad idea to give the Haro a try.

mtbr member
    How tall are you?

I'm 5'9" tall and have ridden a 29er for the last few years. But I've now got a Haro Beasley in to test for www.ridemonkey.com and I'm starting to lean towards the 650b wheelsize for my height. If we didn't get hammered with a boatload of snow, I'd be doing more trail testing over the holidays, but unless something drastic happens that probably won't happen.

But for riders who are in that 5' to 6' range I think the 650b is a viable wheelsize for the right application.

For folks who are 6'3" and up especially - I think that 29" hoops might be more proportional to their body size.

Just my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    For folks who are 6'3" and up especially - I think that 29" hoops might be more proportional to their body size.

Just my humble opinion.
    A humble cutoff ? Im' 5'8" and love big hoops and alwys ridden trekking 700c together with 559mm steel rigid and feel way better and faster on 700c and 584mm will not fit in my old Merida Kalahari 2001.
    6'3" ought to be on 32" hoops. If 29" can be fitted on 15" frame so 32" on 18" one could be, I want to try them out with proper gearing, which is the major culprit for abandonning 29ers or misjudgements.

mtbr member
    David - I stated it was a humble opinion. Do you know what that means?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    A humble cutoff ? Im' 5'8" and love big hoops and alwys ridden trekking 700c together with 559mm steel rigid and feel way better and faster on 700c and 584mm will not fit in my old Merida Kalahari 2001.
    6'3" ought to be on 32" hoops. If 29" can be fitted on 15" frame so 32" on 18" one could be, I want to try them out with proper gearing, which is the major culprit for abandonning 29ers or misjudgements.

I don't understand engrish.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb1974
    Currently riding a KM. Really like the 29er in comparison to the 26er I used to ride. I am thinking of giving the Haro Beasley a shot, trying out both the ss and the 650b. How do people who have ridden both (650 and 29, not necessarily the models mentioned).

Well, you may have to take my opinion with a grain of salt because of my obvious interest in the 650B wheel size, but you might also consider the Surly 1x1 for a possible 650B conversion.

I am sure the Beasley is a great bike, though I haven't had a chance to ride one yet. The Surly is available as a frame set and may be a less expensive entry into the 650B game. The other plus to the Surly is that it was practically designed for 650B wheels!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9856980@N02/2039395025/

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Well, you may have to take my opinion with a grain of salt because of my obvious interest in the 650B wheel size, but you might also consider the Surly 1x1 for a possible 650B conversion.

I am sure the Beasley is a great bike, though I haven't had a chance to ride one yet. The Surly is available as a frame set and may be a less expensive entry into the 650B game. The other plus to the Surly is that it was practically designed for 650B wheels!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9856980@N02/2039395025/

Cheers,

KP
    Thanks for your input. I will look into it.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb1974
    Thanks for your input. I will look into it.

Feel free to contact me off list anytime, if you'd like more input. You might also be interested to read some of the reviews here.

The "bottom line" has been very representative of the feed back I have been getting privately. With sales approaching 5,000 tires to date (16-18 months), I feel confident you'd experience similar results.

Cheers,

KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    I'm riding a Beasley right now and I have to say it is a pretty kickass bike. And it was designed specifically for 650bs - I've got the 1x9 in house and it is well spec'd for the price point IMO.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I'm riding a Beasley right now and I have to say it is a pretty kickass bike. And it was designed specifically for 650bs - I've got the 1x9 in house and it is well spec'd for the price point IMO.

Dang, that is a sweet looking bike! It sure does beat the 1x1 in the looks department!

Cheers,

KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Dang, that is a sweet looking bike! It sure does beat the 1x1 in the looks department!

Cheers,

KP
    I'm still curious though about ride characteristics between the two. this Beasley is a strong frame, but I'm wondering if a 1x1 might be a little more "comfortable" since it utilizes a 27.2 post vs. this 31.6 on the Beasley.

mtbr member
    I'm almost 6'3" so a 29er fits me perfectly, but the idea of having a 650B "playbike" on the side really appeals to me.

Thinking of something slack and squishy, like a Heckler or similar, but 26" just seems uncomfortably small when you're used to a 29er, at least up front

1 ☼ ♥

Cheers,

KP
    Good looking bike yes! but with all due respect... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

rmb
    mtbr member
    I'll post my 1x1x650b for comparison purposes. I think I may lose in the looks department, although I have some black Luv handles on the way to spice it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This is a fine looking bike

The 1x1 handles great as a 26. How do you like it as 650b?

Quote Originally Posted by rmb
    I'll post my 1x1x650b for comparison purposes. I think I may lose in the looks department, although I have some black Luv handles on the way to spice it up.

mtbr member
    That 1x1 looks stellar in my opinion!!! Saweet!

rmb
    mtbr member
    That 1x1 looks stellar in my opinion!!! Saweet!
    Thanks, it rides really well. I like the looks of that Haro frame and the cable routing under the top tube. The color is really nice too.

mtbr member

I'm all for free speech...

...but can we have DC banned from this forum. I am sure there is a 700c trekking forum somewhere that needs another tool to voice their opinion.

I have yet to read a word of his that is anything other that assinine.

He contributes nothing; he comments on things he knows nothing about, since it has come out that he neither owns nor has tried a 650B wheel/bike.

There are people who check this sight for information/opinions/experiences on compatibility and availability of 650B stuff...people who have tried and accepted it, or who are looking to try it...people who are onboard and promoting it...people who don't need to waste time reading emails re: posts DC has soiled.

Where is the troll killer????

On second thought, ridiculing him can be fun, especially re: his 'Engrish'.

mtbr member
    I think there may be a feature where you can set some users posts to "ignore" so you don't have to read the DavidCopperfield rambling nonsense. I might have to try that feature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with the others, that is a very nice looking bike. I can't really fault it at all, well, I wish the geo was more 650B specific. (But I'm sure it rides fine anyway!)

rmb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I agree with the others, that is a very nice looking bike. I can't really fault it at all, well, I wish the geo was more 650B specific. (But I'm sure it rides fine anyway!)
    As long as it is kept rigid it is as 650b specific as the Haro. The bottom bracket is 12 inches and the head angle is 71 degrees with the 26 inch wheels and a slightly taller rigid fork. I think the dimension fork I used is about 4mm shorter, I figure the head angle is close to the same. The Beasley has a 12.4 inch bottom bracket and a 70 degree head angle (100mm fork.)

The real difference with the Surly's geometry will be if you add a suspension fork as the original rigid fork is about 413-415 mm A-C, and you will probably be adding 40mm more at least (80mm fork) in A-C.
    Last edited by rmb; 01-07-2009 at 05:02 PM.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    The 1x1 handles great as a 26. How do you like it as 650b?
    I love the way it handles, the steering feels quick to me and it is very maneuverable. It rolls over trail features just fine and I don't notice the wheels hanging up at all. I also have a 96er and can notice the rear wheel hang up a bit now and then.

I bought the frame to set it up as a 650B bike and never rode it with 26inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm reading all this with interest. I'm investigating options for a rigid big-wheel MTB. Based on everything I've read up until now, it seems to me the biggest advantage to 650b over 29" is that you can retrofit older 26" bikes and 650b works better for long travel full suspension frame. And that's great if you've got an old 26" to retrofit or you want a big-wheeled FS all-mountain trail bike. But what is the rational for a purpose-built rigid 650b MTB like the Haro Beasley or a Rawland Sogn over a rigid 29er? Only better for smaller riders, or is there anything there for taller riders too? What about heavier riders - are 650b wheels generally stronger than similarly built 700c wheels? And I realize that the Rawland, and probably the Beasley too, can squeeze in 29er wheels for versatility, but my impression is that for riding off-road, they do work better with 650b. Thoughts from the experts?

www.derbyrims.com
    I think you've got it well covered.

In comparison of wheel sizes there are relative trade offs or compromises. 650b blends the better strengths of both.

Smaller wheel strengths
    light weight
    stiffer
    lower final drive ratio
    fit more compact, lighter frames, and longer suspension

Larger wheel strengths
    easier, smoother rolling momentum
    traction
    stability

There are far more quality options in forks and rear suspension for 26 inch bikes, and many adapt well to 650b.