mtbr member

29er Suspension forks and 650bs - who's using this setup and.......

why did you go this route?

Post up your pics, your thoughts, and your decision to go with a 29er fork instead of a dedicated 650b fork (well a White Brothers I guess I could have said), or a 26" fork that "works."

What bike is this set up on, did you have to modify travel or anything, did you choose an older (less offset) 29er fork or did you actually go newer and more offset.

And last but not least, how is this set up working for you and your bike?

Let's hear from you.

Reviewer/Tester

Tried them all...

I tried 26" 650B and 29'er all on the front of my Mojo.
    They all work, but some work better than the others.
    I think it depends on what you want from your bike, and where / how you ride.
    For me, I found the 26" wheel setup too endo-prone. The 650B setup is way better, giving more front end stability and less endo's. It feels better, tracks better.
    The 29'er front setup rolls over everything, as 29'ers do. I used a White Brothers 135mm fork off my RIP 29'er to test it and was pleased with the results, but the 29'er wheel raised the front end of the Mojo a lot. Still, it works and with a 650B rear wheel it felt pretty good. However, it does make the steering a bit slower than I liked so I eventually swapped back to a 650B front end with a 26" rear.

I regularly swap wheels between 650B and 26" on the rear of the Mojo, but the 650B front wheel is now a permanent fitting, as it works so well.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    MMcG,
    I'm not actually running a 29er fork as of yet on the 650b I already have, but Carl Strong is building me a 650b frame designed around a Fox F29 fork. I decided to go this route because I wanted a Fox and figured If I'm going to have to chose between a 26er or 29er fork... I'd rather have the 29er fork. No issues with clearance what so ever and I could always throw a 29er wheel on the front and run it as a 9B. I'll post up some thoughts once I get the new bike rolling and let you know what I think of it.

Here's a photo of the frame in production:

And some more photos...

Bike Fiend
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    For me, I found the 26" wheel setup too endo-prone. The 650B setup is way better, giving more front end stability and less endo's. It feels better, tracks better.
    The 29'er front setup rolls over everything, as 29'ers do. I used a White Brothers 135mm fork off my RIP 29'er to test it and was pleased with the results, but the 29'er wheel raised the front end of the Mojo a lot. Still, it works and with a 650B rear wheel it felt pretty good. However, it does make the steering a bit slower than I liked so I eventually swapped back to a 650B front end with a 26" rear.

I regularly swap wheels between 650B and 26" on the rear of the Mojo, but the 650B front wheel is now a permanent fitting, as it works so well.

Rainman.
    Are you talking about wheels or forks?

The original post is referring to a 29er fork/650b front wheel combo.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by mplsmtb
    Are you talking about wheels or forks?

The original post is referring to a 29er fork/650b front wheel combo.
    I got the impression that he was talking about a 29'er fork...the WB...that was on his 29'er RIP. I thought he tried all 3 wheel/tire combos in the same fork. Maybe I misread it?

Bike Fiend
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I got the impression that he was talking about a 29'er fork...the WB...that was on his 29'er RIP. I thought he tried all 3 wheel/tire combos in the same fork. Maybe I misread it?
    Ahhhh... yeah I think I misread it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman

Rainman.
    Rainman - what I meant was using a 29er fork with a 650b wheel between the droputs - not various wheel sizes on the front end of a bike.

Mark

mtbr member
    Mickey Did you and Carl come to some geometry answers based around the 44 or 46mm offset of the Fox 29er fork when you factored in the final head tube angle for your frame??

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey650b
    MMcG,
    I'm not actually running a 29er fork as of yet on the 650b I already have, but Carl Strong is building me a 650b frame designed around a Fox F29 fork. I decided to go this route because I wanted a Fox and figured If I'm going to have to chose between a 26er or 29er fork... I'd rather have the 29er fork. No issues with clearance what so ever and I could always throw a 29er wheel on the front and run it as a 9B. I'll post up some thoughts once I get the new bike rolling and let you know what I think of it.

Here's a photo of the frame in production:

And some more photos...

Reviewer/Tester
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I used a White Brothers 135mm fork with a 29'er wheel and a 650B wheel ... with that fork.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Rainman - what I meant was using a 29er fork with a 650b wheel between the droputs - not various wheel sizes on the front end of a bike.

Mark
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Mickey Did you and Carl come to some geometry answers based around the 44 or 46mm offset of the Fox 29er fork when you factored in the final head tube angle for your frame??
    I don't have the most current spec's on the frame's geo, because we discussed it over the span of many weeks and I've misplaced some of my notes I had taken during our conversations. I'll see if I can get some details for you.
    Last edited by Mickey650b; 02-08-2009 at 01:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'll be using a WB CX1 with a short travel kit (457 crown ht,50mm of travel) on my Custom MuDBatS . I have been using this fork on my nonsus corrected 29er and it works fantastic.
    At 5' 7" I like to keep the front of my bike as low as I can so it made sense to use the CX with the 650b setup.