Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

29er Exconverts Pedal/Push the 27.5/650b Fad

As the Devil's Advocate I'm Just sayin....

Uncle
    Peddle?

So some folks have gone from 26" wheels to 29" wheels, touted the larger wheel, and have now moved on to 650b wheels and no longer promote the 29" wheels? Is that correct? And the problem is...?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Yep, peddle..I was drinking a bit last night when I fat fingered that.

I must admit that I have yet to ride a 650ber, but, like you mentioned, I have gone from 26 to 29 and back to 26. I really tried to appreciate the claimed advantages of the 29er, but I had to finally admit, albeit after multiple builds and losing money on each, that I had less fun riding them than my 26ers.

So, I'm wondering if the 27.5er is just another waste of my time and money. I considered the 27 Five before going back to a traditional 26er, but the majority of reviews and debates claimed that the 650b added little to nothing in terms of speed and angle of approach advantage over the 559mmer.

Nonetheless, I am sure I will build a 584mmer up next summer when there are more used wheelsets on Ebay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Moving from a liked 26er to 275 solely for the wheel size seems seems like a losing proposition. If upgrading an old bike, sure. (Or one that is fundamentally obsolete based on changing riding preferences, areas, goals, etc.) Especially questionable if sensitive to losing dough on a bike purchase. Btw, when has anyone ever not lost money on a bike purchase? Every one I've lost money on has gotten me closer the the ultimate bike(s) and increased the fun. All wins, IMO.

Cheers...

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Moving from a liked 26er to 275 solely for the wheel size seems seems like a losing proposition. If upgrading an old bike, sure. (Or one that is fundamentally obsolete based on changing riding preferences, areas, goals, etc.) Especially questionable if sensitive to losing dough on a bike purchase. Btw, when has anyone ever not lost money on a bike purchase? Every one I've lost money on has gotten me closer the the ultimate bike(s) and increased the fun. All wins, IMO.

Cheers...
    All this. If you happily went back to 26" wheels after giving the 29 a go, then might as well stick with what's working for you. If your bike is beat and you're shopping for a new rig, then certainly can't hurt to demo a few 650b bikes before making a decision.

As for fads: Lots of folks switched from 26 to 29 and have not switched back. For a few, it might be because they've already spent the money and figured they shouldn't give up on it just yet. I know perhaps perhaps 30 people (self included) that are happy with the larger wheel platform because it just works for where and how we ride.
    Because something is new doesn't make it a fad. I think the word 'fad' works well for fashion (including bikes where they are accessories), diets, and exercise programs, but I think it really only applies well in cases when it's clear that the trend has a foreseeable end. Too soon to say this about any wheel size at this point.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by my2hands View Post
    As the Devil's Advocate I'm Just sayin....
    And what you're sayin is total F'ing BS.

Don't quit your day job for journalism
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

King of Middle Earth
    I was a 26er. I am now a 29er. Next, I will be 650Ber. It has all been fun up to this point and the fun will continue then...
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    And you're abrasiveness is rearing it's "not too pretty" head. Again. You're not being a very good 584 ambassador.

Just say'n.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    And you're abrasiveness is rearing it's "not too pretty" head. Again. You're not being a very good 584 ambassador.

Just say'n.
    I don't post to win friends. If somebody is full of sh!t I'm not afraid to call them on it. Might be abrasive, but mtb'ers generally are tough people and usually not easily butt hurt by mere words on a forum.

I'm also not an "ambassador" for anything, let alone wheel size. I own all three and the for the past 2 months have ridden the 29" exclusively. They're all good and all have advantages and disadvantages. Owning all 3 I imagine is sort of like having a Harem. Tough life.

Just sayin.

USB Rep'n
    FWIW, I went from 26" to 29", back to 26", and now to 27.5". Haven't ridden the 27.5" yet as its in pieces in front of me since I just got the final pieces/parts in today. I went for the Ala Carte simply because I could go back to 26" easily anytime I wanted. 29 wasn't for me. Never felt quite nimble enough despite riding quite well. They just weren't fun to me, still the larger wheel and associated speed was really nice. Enter the 27.5. Especially on a 26" frame geometry, I think it'll make for a great trail bike with the extra bb clearance. Time will tell I suppose but it seems like the best of both worlds in my mind so I'm giving it a shot.

Here's the thing...you sound ridiculous when you describe things as fad or put a negative slant on them ("waste of your money") when you haven't even tried them. I have no idea if the 27.5 is going to be awesome or not but if it makes sense to me, I'm sure as hell going to give it a try. I'll reserve my praise or bashing for after I've actually had some experience on it and can speak from a position of credibility. My suggestion is to do the same....that or happily pedal (not peddle) your 26'r and be happy about it and stay away from controversial topics just because you'd had a few "pops". I mean, you can't think that posting that subject in the 650b forum was going to get gangs of people chiming in to say "yeah, this total fad sucks and I'm just here to push the 650b agenda to make others miserable with me" did you? Just sayin.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    I can lay it out for you in terms of times. I ride a 26 right now and test 27.5 and 29 over a six day period. Same ride which is a fairly steep/rough singletrack sustained climb of about 20 minutes followed by a long 7 minute sustained descent. I did 27.5 day 1, rested day 2, 26 day 3, rested day 4 and 29 day 5.

My climbing time on the 27.5 beat my PR by 42 seconds. I matched my old PR on the 26 and could not get within 1:30 of it on the 29.

The 26 was fastest on the descent by a fair margin, around 75 seconds over the 27.5 and 40 seconds over the 29.

The 29 was significantly faster on the flats and bested by PR on a short 1:15 flat segment by 8 seconds. I have not gotten close to that time again on my 26.

All of the bikes were AM builds. 29 was 140 travel, 275 was 150 and 26 is 160. For me personally, I am sticking with my 26 because I LOVE descending. I like climbing as well, but will not be setting any KOM's in that arena since I am 43 with a real job. Might give 275 another shot sometime soon since I have access. The biggest issue I had with the 275 bike was the fork which was total crap and probably had a lot to do with the time it lost on the DH segment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte View Post
    FWIW, I went from 26" to 29", back to 26", and now to 27.5". Haven't ridden the 27.5" yet as its in pieces in front of me since I just got the final pieces/parts in today. I went for the Ala Carte simply because I could go back to 26" easily anytime I wanted. 29 wasn't for me. Never felt quite nimble enough despite riding quite well. They just weren't fun to me, still the larger wheel and associated speed was really nice. Enter the 27.5. Especially on a 26" frame geometry, I think it'll make for a great trail bike with the extra bb clearance. Time will tell I suppose but it seems like the best of both worlds in my mind so I'm giving it a shot.

Here's the thing...you sound ridiculous when you describe things as fad or put a negative slant on them ("waste of your money") when you haven't even tried them. I have no idea if the 27.5 is going to be awesome or not but if it makes sense to me, I'm sure as hell going to give it a try. I'll reserve my praise or bashing for after I've actually had some experience on it and can speak from a position of credibility. My suggestion is to do the same....that or happily pedal (not peddle) your 26'r and be happy about it and stay away from controversial topics just because you'd had a few "pops". I mean, you can't think that posting that subject in the 650b forum was going to get gangs of people chiming in to say "yeah, this total fad sucks and I'm just here to push the 650b agenda to make others miserable with me" did you? Just sayin.
    Of course I expected you to defend your recent purchase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post

Don't quit your day job for journalism
    Call me a Retro-Grouch, but my point is that the industry pushes/peddles anything new to sell, consumers buy it, and then try to justify their purchases. I partially came to this conclusion about the 650b after reading post in the 650b forum and articles like these:

Opinion: 26 vs 27.5 vs 29-inch Wheels - Pinkbike

What?s Driving the 650B Explosion? Interviews, Tech Breakdown & More!

But then again I did read articles like this one:

Shootout: Wheel Wars 29 vs 27.5 vs 26 | News | mountain-bike-action

Also, working your mom pays better than a career in journalism. It seems like you're butt hurt...pay attention to what you are saying exactly.

mtbr member
    Of course I expected you to defend your recent purchase.
    I had to re-read namaSSte's post twice but could not find this defending you were barking about?
    If it smells like a Troll and it barks like a Troll....
    Ive been riding a 650b for three years. I noticed a big difference the first day out less the second. I will never go back to a 26 that's my take.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    I had to re-read namaSSte's post twice but could not find this defending you were barking about?
    If it smells like a Troll and it barks like a Troll....
    Ive been riding a 650b for three years. I noticed a big difference the first day out less the second. I will never go back to a 26 that's my take.
    Read it again, and this time pay particular close attention to the first three sentences, but most importantly the second sentence; "Haven't ridden the 27.5 yet as its in pieces in front of me since I just got the final pieces/parts in today."

mtbr member

Re: 29er Exconverts Pedal/Push the 27.5/650b Fad

I have converted my SC TRc to 650b and like it much better with bigger wheels. I still have the 26er wheels, but do not use them anymore.
    Since I did not buy a new 27.5 frame (yet) where do I belong in your scheme of bike purchase defenders?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I have converted my TRc to 650b and like it much better with bigger wheels. I still have the 26er wheels, but do not use them anymore.
    Since I did not buy a new 27.5 frame (yet) where do I belong in your scheme of bike purchase defenders?
    With me. As I mentioned earlier, I will buy a 27.5 wheelset next year when there are more used sets on craiglist or ebay. It is easy to feel attacked, but I am not afraid to call it out b/c I am just as guilty.

usually cranky
    pretty sure it aint a fad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I must admit that I have yet to ride a 650ber, but, like you mentioned, I have gone from 26 to 29 and back to 26. I really tried to appreciate the claimed advantages of the 29er, but I had to finally admit, albeit after multiple builds and losing money on each, that I had less fun riding them than my 26ers.

So, I'm wondering if the 27.5er is just another waste of my time and money. I considered the 27 Five before going back to a traditional 26er, but the majority of reviews and debates claimed that the 650b added little to nothing in terms of speed and angle of approach advantage over the 559mmer.
    Easy, keep your 26er rig, buy a 650b front wheel and ride it and see if like it for yourself....
    "If 650b is the future and 26"ers are the past then sitting on my B6'er I am in the middle of the here and now"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Ti View Post
    Easy, keep your 26er rig, buy a 650b front wheel and ride it and see if like it for yourself....
    THIS X1000.....

who made the rule that both wheels **must** be the same size?

since the time back in 2008 when i expermented putting a 650b on the front of my 26" bike, I have ridden 26/26, 650fr/26rr, 650/650, 29fr/26rr, 29fr/650rr, 29/29, and the one i keep coming back to....650fr/26rr...it works. worst case, sell the wheel and put your 26 back on the front....

USB Rep'n
    "handy"...try it in context man. I went on to say that I won't offer an opinion until I've had some experience on it. See, unlike you, I try to not to drone about about things I know nothing about. My recent purchase was made because the idea made sense. If it doesn't turn out to be my thing, no big deal. You make it seem like its personal or something. Its a bike and if it makes me happy to ride it, awesome, if not, sell it and try something else. No tears, no Dear John letter left by the bike stand, just a non-obtrusive classified ad and move on. Thing is, I doubt that's going to be the case as I did ride it a little last night (thus, HUGELY surpassing the approximately zero miles you've spent on a 650b) and if my little ride was an indication, I think its the best of both worlds for sure.

Question for you though...if I am not being paid by the 650b god's, why would I push a fad? I mean, what's in it for me if anyone else decides to try one out or not? Its like motive in a trial...so then, what could possibly be my motive? Silly fella, you.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Why is it that the biggest anti-650b people are the ones who have never ridden one, and when pressed, say that they would never buy one? I really don't get it. If you hate something without trying it, what does that make you?

Yes, lots of ex 29ers switched to 650b because 29ers do not satisfy all of everybody's needs, but there are undeniable advantages that they want. Why is that hard to understand?

Too Much Fun

Haterade is an incredibly refreshing beverage for many.
    - -benja- -

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Unfortunately, so is coolade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    hehehe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast