mtbr member
    Aug 2010

27.5 x 2.25 Ardent vs. Hans Dampf

I'm planning a 650b conversion on a Santa Cruz Blur TRc, and I'm considering either the Ardent EXO or Hans Dampf Snakeskin for tires. I'm looking for comparisons on durability, rolling resistance, volume, and diameter.

Terrain is mostly rocky east coast stuff, so I need something with decent sidewall protection. The lighter weight of the Nobby Nic would be nice, but it's not available with Snakeskin protection.

Which one, Ardent or Hans Dampf, has the larger diameter? Frame and fork clearance are a concern, so smaller is better here.

Which one rolls faster?

Advertised weights are 680g for the HD and 715g for the Ardent. Are these accurate?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm interested in this too
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    I do think the Ardent is a surprising good roller and decent bite. It does have a slight dead spot around the transitional knobs. EXO protection is tough.

I've not used the Hans Dampf or the snakeskin casing. Although, looking at its tread pattern and hearing ppl's opinions tells me it a grippy tire. This means, not as fast rolling but great in traction in lots of conditions.

If the snakeskin is as tough as EXO, i would roll an Ardent rear and HD up front. I think the extra weight will be less noticable due to the rolling resistance of the Ardent. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the info, jetboy.
    I know a lot of guys around here that ride the Ardents and it is generally well-liked. The few that I know that are using the Hans Dampf also like them a lot.

I know that Ardents generally have a high-volume casing, but I don't know about the 27.5x2.25 size. The Hans Dampf looks like a big burly tire, but I don't know if the casing is as high volume as the Ardent or not.

As far as rolling resistance, I haven't ridden either one, but the Ardent with its directional tread looks like it would roll better. The Hans Dampf has a non-directional tread with big square knobs, so it looks like it would be slow rolling, but the reports are that it rolls much better than you'd expect.

The Ardent is single-compound where the Hans Dampf has multiple compounds. This should help the HD provide better grip, but it probably wears faster (like most Schwalbe tires).

Either one would probably work fine for me, so it might just come down to availability. Or I could just choose the Ardent since it wins on price.

mtbr member
    Nobby Nic is available in a Snake Skin sidewall....I have 4 of them...

SW-5173 27.5" (650b) TL-Ready, S-Skin 2.35" PaceStar Kevlar black 685g

That is right off of BTI's stock page.

mtbr member
    I have run all of these and I have a new set of Ardents that I am going to use one of on the rear (of a 2013 Remedy 650b attempt).....Here is my experience:

Hans Dampfs are Incredible, the best thing about them that I have run though is the Trailstar compound it is second to none for Grip on all conditions, the nobs don't have any dead spots....they are the perfect enduro tire (read AM Up and Down) in my opinion....but the 650b versions only come in the Pacestar compound....

The Nobby Nics are a GREAT Dry condition tire but they pack up a little more than the HD's in the slop.....both of these corner better than the Ardents, period. More dependable hence FASTER Turning!

The sidewalls of the S-Skin are downhill worthy, I raced them a few times of the last 2 seasons on rockrootsketch DH tracks....Tubeless!

Also, if you are used to the Balloony feel and look of the Schwalbe 2.35's and up, these 650b's are not that Bulbous, which I was really stoked about, much less sidewall roll on turning/slamming/G-outs.

The ardent being a smaller round tire is a GOOD tire for the DRY....I am going to run one on the rear of my remedy when it gets here (waiting on crash replacement frame from Trek) until then I am running NN's front and rear on Enve's on my Carbine 650b....Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedHito View Post
    Nobby Nic is available in a Snake Skin sidewall....I have 4 of them...

SW-5173 27.5" (650b) TL-Ready, S-Skin 2.35" PaceStar Kevlar black 685g

That is right off of BTI's stock page.
    Looks like Snakeskin only in the 2.35 size, not 2.25.

mtbr member
    Hans Dampfs are Incredible, the best thing about them that I have run though is the Trailstar compound it is second to none for Grip on all conditions, the nobs don't have any dead spots....they are the perfect enduro tire (read AM Up and Down) in my opinion....but the 650b versions only come in the Pacestar compound....
    Not true - the HD is available in 650b in TrailStar 2.35" (834g actual weight).

(For comparison, my HD 650b 2.35" PaceStar is 813g)
    Last edited by in the trees; 11-29-2012 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    I might stand corrected....but this is directly from my Distro's page which is what I was using as reference, sorry:

Schwalbe Hans Dampf 27.5" (650b) Tire
    In German, the name means A Jack of All Trades and designed to be the ultimate trail tire
    TL-Ready: Tubeless Ready bead, tire can be converted to tubeless with sealant or used with a tube
    PaceStar: extremely fast XC compound with an easy rolling base layer, fast center and grippy shoulders
    SnakeSkin sidewall features enhanced puncture protection with minimal weight increase
    67tpi casing
    ZOOM

item # model width compound bead color weight remaining price action
    SW-5260 27.5" (650b) TL-Ready, S-Skin 2.35" Pacestar Kevlar black 795g

You are correct that Schwalbe lists them but they aren't US available yet:

Hans Dampf 57-584 27.5 x 2.25, 650 x 57B SnakeSkin, Evolution Line, TrailStar, Tubless Ready Black

Hans Dampf 57-584 27.5 x 2.25, 650 x 57B SnakeSkin, Evolution Line, TrailStar, Tubless Ready Black

Hans Dampf 60-584 27.5 x 2.35, 650 x 60B SnakeSkin, Evolution Line, TrailStar, Tubless Ready Black

Hans Dampf 60-584 27.5 x 2.35, 650 x 60B Evolution Line, TrailStar, Tubless Ready, Super Gravity

Hans Dampf 60-584 27.5 x 2.35, 650 x 60B SnakeSkin, Evolution Line, TrailStar, Tubless Ready Black

Hans Dampf 60-584 27.5 x 2.35, 650 x 60B Evolution Line, TrailStar, Tubless Ready, Super Gravity
    Last edited by OneEyedHito; 11-28-2012 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Rolling resistance isn't something I compare on all mountain rides a whole lot, now I can say that the 650b Nevergrips err I mean Nevegals do have more rolling resistance than any of the above mentioned that I have run but they are also heavier.....as for the HD's/NN's/and Ardents....for AM riding they are great to me, but I don't wear spandex so my climbs aren't timed....

mtbr member
    I, too, love the TrailStar compound. Just received one today. It's going to replace the PaceStar that I have right now since I only have a 650b front. I want, and need, the extra grip!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    I, too, love the TrailStar compound. Just received one today. It's going to replace the PaceStar that I have right now since I only have a 650b front. I want, and need, the extra grip!
    Did you get that in the US?! If so care to share where?! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Did you get that in the US?! If so care to share where?! Thanks!
    Yes. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Thanks Man!!!!!!!! Enroute!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great feedback. I plan to run the HD 2.35 Trailstars on the front with a Velvet fork and a 2.25 Ardent on the rear of my TRc.

Those should fit yes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

No good Ardents

Although my experience is with the 26" Ardents and not the 650bs, I'd say steer clear of them for East coast rocky & rooty rides. There is a big "dead" spot while transitioning from up right ridng to that full tilt leans while cornering. This coupled with absolutley no grip on wet rocks & roots, has me throwing them away and swithcing either back to Nevegals or trying out the HDs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ezryder View Post
    Although my experience is with the 26" Ardents and not the 650bs, I'd say steer clear of them for East coast rocky & rooty rides. There is a big "dead" spot while transitioning from up right ridng to that full tilt leans while cornering. This coupled with absolutley no grip on wet rocks & roots, has me throwing them away and swithcing either back to Nevegals or trying out the HDs.
    Hmm, but don't throw them away, I'll take 'em.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ezryder View Post
    Same experience with the 2.25's but I think they have redesigned them since.
    For traction they are not even in the same hemishere as an HD, even in pacestar. Should be faster rolling though as the 2.25 HD is only available in trailstar.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 11-30-2012 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Advertised weights are 680g for the HD and 715g for the Ardent. Are these accurate?
    Actual weights for two 650b HD 2.35 evo SS:
    - 810g trailstar
    - 840g pacestar

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, two other actual weights:

RoRo 650b 2.25 evo PS
    - 510g (advertised ~490g)

RaRa 650b 2.25 evo PS
    - 512g (advertised ~510g)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

I am running NN's front and rear on Enve's on my Carbine 650b....Good Luck!
    Hito...I'm in need of advice on getting the valves on my Enves to seal up...I'm starting a new thread and would appreciate your advice.

BTW...I got some Hans Damps from Germany in trailstar...my US distro didn't have them either

mtbr member
    Any of you guys tried out the NeoMoto 2.35? I haven't ridden either the HD's or Ardents, but the Neomoto's are fantastic east coast tires, IMO. That said, I definitely want to try out the HD's based on what I'm hearing.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

brakes; sometimes fixed
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Any of you guys tried out the NeoMoto 2.35? I haven't ridden either the HD's or Ardents, but the Neomoto's are fantastic east coast tires, IMO. That said, I definitely want to try out the HD's based on what I'm hearing.
    Good point, and good to hear the NeoMotos have worked well for you out here on the EC. Can you speak more to your experience with sidewall wear and grip in the wet? The Ardent, NeoMoto 2.3, and the HDs are in the running for my new trail bike-to-come (Turner Burner) based on what everyone's reporting. And are you running your NeoMotos tubeless or tubed?

mtbr member
    HD's are fantastic in Socal rock/chunk. I do like the Ardent in the rear as well and ran this exact combo for a while. Have now moved on to a Conti Mountain King in the rear,but don't think they are available in 27.5