mtbr member
    Dec 2012

27.5 Trail Bikes - Trance vs Remedy vs Transition Bandit

These are the options from my LBS. Any thoughts/preferences? Currently I ride a 2010 Scott Spark 35 but would like to ride 27.5 wheels on a more trail oriented bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    somewhat depends on your budget.
    In the lower price ranges, Trance looks the best value (and Maestro is not dependent on special shock tuning), but above $3k, the others may be just as good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Need to see if you can ride them. A lot of the bikes at this level come down to preference. I have been on a ton of bikes lately (Mach 6, Bronson, Solo, Remedy, slash, to name a few) and can tell you that the Remedy holds its own. Especially considering the price point.

I need to get on the trance next along with a few others.

After being at a bunch on these demos I'll say this, it's all very subjective. The opinions of the bikes seem to vary a TON. So it's hard to really get a good answer on the web.

There are a lot of great bikes out there right now though. It's a great time to be in the market of a trail bike.

LCW
    mtbr member

27.5 Trail Bikes - Trance vs Remedy vs Transition Bandit

Bronson
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was going between the Bronson, Jekyll, Remedy, and Trance. I chose the Trance 1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The thing about Santa Cruz bikes that stands out to me (besides all the great reviews, of course) is the short frame reach. I'd be riding an XL, so the 5010 or Bronson would be a 17.6 or 17.7 inch reach, significantly shorter than the remedy, trance, or bandit. Not sure if that's good or bad, but when I ride my neighbor's tallboy (17.5" reach, 25" top tube) I feel very upright. Definitely psyched for a demo day...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    go for Trance or remedy both offer life time warranty on their frames.

I like the colour scheme of remedy, however I prefer the Trance 650b because of the rear shock, it doesn't use proprietary.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I took a quick spin on the trance advanced and I felt very upright on the bike. The trance sx felt more slacker does that 1 degree make that much of a difference? Also the trance sx felt very heavy and sluggish. I also felt my arms were stretched out on the trance in a medium. LBS told me that I could shorten stem to 50mm. What stems work with giants? I test rode the bronson and it felt like a rocket on straights and uphills. However the suspension felt very stiff. Granted it was only a quick test ride through a couple of small trails but didnt feel plush. I really want to take a mach 6 for a spin to see if it lives up to the hype. If anyone can chime in that owns a mach 6 or trance advanced sx 27.5 please comment on your experience thanks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It sounds like you're talking about fit issues really when you're comparing the various Trances. The SX should actually be a bit slacker in HTA because of the longer fork. Also the longer fork rotates the entire bike around the rear axle, which means the horizontal distance from seat to handle bars should actually shrink a bit assuming the same bar/stem combo and the same seating position.

Don't worry so much about the exact fitment initially, or spend some time with the store actually fitting you. My local shop has a take a stem/leave a stem shelf for fine tuning your exact fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dberndt View Post
    It sounds like you're talking about fit issues really when you're comparing the various Trances. The SX should actually be a bit slacker in HTA because of the longer fork. Also the longer fork rotates the entire bike around the rear axle, which means the horizontal distance from seat to handle bars should actually shrink a bit assuming the same bar/stem combo and the same seating position.

Don't worry so much about the exact fitment initially, or spend some time with the store actually fitting you. My local shop has a take a stem/leave a stem shelf for fine tuning your exact fit.
    Thanks. I really want to like the giant because I have a good report with that shop and would cost me a grand less but I want the bike to fit well.