Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 305
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    304

    27.5 Tire Size Reference

    The intent here is to create a list of tires in a size ranking. Since I cannot ensure each tire is measured the same way or on the same rim, at same pressure, etc. my goal is strictly to quantify them in relative comparisons to one another. If we know A > B and B > C then we can list them as A, B, C as a ranking of large to small even if the A-B and B-C comparisons aren't the same. We need only ensure that any given comparison occur on same rim and at the same pressure for each tire in that comparison. I believe this is necessary both for overall tire diameter as well as tire width.

    Here is what I have culled from various threads, and if there is an omission or an error just please post and I can update the list accordingly (I expect there WILL be errors, so please point them out and help make this a great reference).

    Diameter, from largest to smallest:
    1. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 (Pacestar: 698 g - 730 g)
    2. Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 (Trailstar: 790 g - 834 g, Pacestar: 813 g - 840 g)
    3. Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 (735 g - 735 g)
    4. Maxxis Ardent 2.25 (690 g - 690 g)
    5. WTB Wolverine 2.2 (590 g - 590 g)
    6. Kenda Nevegal 2.35 (706 g - 706 g)
    7. Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.1 (xxx g - xxx g)
    8. Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 (740 g - 740 g)
    9. Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 (501 g - 586 g)
    10. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 (575 g - 580 g)
    11. Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.25 (xxx g - xxx g)
    12. Kenda Nevegal 2.1 (xxx g - xxx g)
    13. IRD Fire XC Pro 2.1 (xxx g - xxx g)
    14. Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 (629 g - 634 g)
    15. Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 (Standard: 611 g - 629 g, Exception: 501 g - 532 g)
    16. Vee Rubber Vee 10 2.1 (xxx g - xxx g)
    17. Pacenti Quasi-Moto 2.0 (xxx g - xxx g)


    Not ranked for diameter:
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 (Pacestar: 463 g - 528 g)

    Width, from widest to narrowest:
    1. Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4
    2. Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35
    3. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35
    4. Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    5. Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3
    6. Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    7. WTB Wolverine 2.2
    8. Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.25
    9. Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25
    10. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25
    11. Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.1
    12. Kenda Nevegal 2.1
    13. IRD Fire XC Pro 2.1
    14. Vee Rubber Mission 2.1
    15. Maxxis Crossmark 2.1
    16. Vee Rubber Vee 10 2.1
    17. Pacenti Quasi-Moto 2.0


    Not ranked for width:
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25

    Fred
    Last edited by RagerXS; 02-08-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Adjusted list

  2. #2
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,735
    Interesting the Pac 2.1 is higher on list then the 2.3. Hhm. Looks like the Maxxis is the size I should be picking up for beter clearence on my conversion. Thanks for the list.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carverboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    556
    Nice work! that's a good easy to compare list you got there.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,479
    Hi Rager, great work, but could you add the actual size? Thanks.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Interesting the Pac 2.1 is higher on list then the 2.3. Hhm. Looks like the Maxxis is the size I should be picking up for beter clearence on my conversion. Thanks for the list.
    The Neo-Moto 2.1 and 2.3 supposedly share the same casing and differ only in the size of the tread pattern, so it could be just manufacturing tolerances that result in me measuring my 2.1 taller than my 2.3 and at least one other individual doing the same. But in my experience at least they are extremely close in overall diameter such that if you can clear one in that dimension then you should be able to use either. Depending on the feedback we get from others I may edit the original post to show some as ties either for diameter or width, as applicable.

    Fred

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Hi Rager, great work, but could you add the actual size? Thanks.
    I agree completely that the actual measured sizes would be of benefit, but unfortunately I do not believe it would be correct to include that at this time. Consider that if 'James' measures two tires, 'John' measures two, 'Jake' measures two, 'Joe' measures two, 'Jerry' measures two, 'Jen' measures two, and 'Jill' measures two we can legitimately collect all those comparisons and compile into a single listing (as I have attempted here, above). Likely they all used different measuring devices, different rims, different pressures, etc., they most likely will not all report the exact same specifications for a Neo-Moto 2.3 and Kenda Nevegal 2.35. However, all that compared those two tires are likely to agree which was taller and which was wider, even though their measurements are unlikely to agree exactly on either tire.

    What may help us all, however, is if folks reply here with their actual measurements. In doing so please include the specific rim used as well as the pressure (and for consistency let's all try to measure at 30 PSI). As we collect data we may then be able to then list size ranges for the tires as part of the list.

    Fred

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    794
    Don't forget to try the Ritchey Shields! 2.1", pretty true to size.
    Great tires for XC racing...I wouldn't recommend them for aggressive trail, as the sidewalls are thin...but it's very light!
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

    On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

  8. #8
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,735

    I like it!

    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    I agree completely that the actual measured sizes would be of benefit, but unfortunately I do not believe it would be correct to include that at this time. Consider that if 'James' measures two tires, 'John' measures two, 'Jake' measures two, 'Joe' measures two, 'Jerry' measures two, 'Jen' measures two, and 'Jill' measures two we can legitimately collect all those comparisons and compile into a single listing (as I have attempted here, above). Likely they all used different measuring devices, different rims, different pressures, etc., they most likely will not all report the exact same specifications for a Neo-Moto 2.3 and Kenda Nevegal 2.35. However, all that compared those two tires are likely to agree which was taller and which was wider, even though their measurements are unlikely to agree exactly on either tire.

    What may help us all, however, is if folks reply here with their actual measurements. In doing so please include the specific rim used as well as the pressure (and for consistency let's all try to measure at 30 PSI). As we collect data we may then be able to then list size ranges for the tires as part of the list.

    Fred
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  9. #9
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    The intent here is to create a list of tires in a size ranking. Since I cannot ensure each tire is measured the same way or on the same rim, at same pressure, etc. my goal is strictly to quantify them in relative comparisons to one another. If we know A > B and B > C then we can list them as A, B, C as a ranking of large to small even if the A-B and B-C comparisons aren't the same. We need only ensure that any given comparison occur on same rim and at the same pressure for each tire in that comparison. I believe this is necessary both for overall tire diameter as well as tire width.

    Here is what I have culled from various threads, and if there is an omission or an error just please post and I can update the list accordingly (I expect there WILL be errors, so please point them out and help make this a great reference).

    Diameter, from largest to smallest:
    1. Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4
    2. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35
    3. Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35
    4. Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    5. Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    6. Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.1
    7. Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3
    8. WTB Wolverine 2.2
    9. Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25
    10. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25
    11. Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.25
    12. Kenda Nevegal 2.1
    13. IRD Fire XC Pro 2.1
    14. Vee Rubber Mission 2.1
    15. Maxxis Crossmark 2.1
    16. Vee Rubber Vee 10 2.1
    17. Pacenti Quasi-Moto 2.0


    Width, from widest to narrowest:
    1. Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4
    2. Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35
    3. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35
    4. Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    5. Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3
    6. Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    7. Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.1
    8. WTB Wolverine 2.2
    9. Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.25
    10. Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25
    11. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25
    12. Kenda Nevegal 2.1
    13. IRD Fire XC Pro 2.1
    14. Vee Rubber Mission 2.1
    15. Maxxis Crossmark 2.1
    16. Vee Rubber Vee 10 2.1
    17. Pacenti Quasi-Moto 2.0


    Fred
    The Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 is the widest, but not the tallest, I'll still give the award to the NN 2.35.

  10. #10
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,735

    S those are out?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhbomber View Post
    Don't forget to try the Ritchey Shields! 2.1", pretty true to size.
    Great tires for XC racing...I wouldn't recommend them for aggressive trail, as the sidewalls are thin...but it's very light!
    Cool. Have to check them out for summer time zipping!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    The Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 is the widest, but not the tallest, I'll still give the award to the NN 2.35.
    Gram,

    Have you compared the two? Can you verify where the TT fits in diameter as compared to the Hans Dampf?

    Fred

    P.S. I've added tire weights to the list, showing the lowest and highest reported weights. If yours fall outside the range I have listed, just post her please.

  12. #12
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Gram,

    Have you compared the two? Can you verify where the TT fits in diameter as compared to the Hans Dampf?

    Fred

    P.S. I've added tire weights to the list, showing the lowest and highest reported weights. If yours fall outside the range I have listed, just post her please.
    I'll measure when I get a chance, Schwalbe has been slot to the punch in getting me a set of HD's...ugh.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    824
    This makes sense and could prove quite useful. We could supplement this with measurements as they become more commonly understood.

    Also useful could be a corresponding list of 26" tires so we see the overlap in sizes, allowing me to answer the question, "which 26" tires are as tall or taller than a 650b Neo 2.1"?
    Last edited by morkys; 01-24-2013 at 08:11 AM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mosquito1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    I can add weights from my recent conversion --

    10. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 (xxx g - xxx g) 575g & 580g

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    144

    info

    Really good info!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    824
    If we are talking about actual real life tires measured and/or compared on an actual bicycle, the ranking above for the Neomoto 2.1 vs Racing Ralph 2.25 are reversed.

    On my 2008 Brodie Mettle 26" fs xc mtb, a Neomoto 2.1 fits on the rear with ample clearance, but although the wheel actually fits on the bike seated fully in the dropouts with the 2.25 Racing Ralph, the tire contacts the frame and the tire won't turn. Either your width or diameter ranking for these tires is incorrect.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    If we are talking about actual real life tires measured and/or compared on an actual bicycle, the ranking above for the Neomoto 2.1 vs Racing Ralph 2.25 are reversed.

    On my 2008 Brodie Mettle 26" fs xc mtb, a Neomoto 2.1 fits on the rear with ample clearance, but although the wheel actually fits on the bike seated fully in the dropouts with the 2.25 Racing Ralph, the tire contacts the frame and the tire won't turn. Either your width or diameter ranking for these tires is incorrect.
    Thanks for this feedback - I have to assume the Racing Ralph is wider than the Neo-Moto 2.1 but want to confirm before I update either list. Was the rubbing you encountered on the sides or on the back of the seat post?

    Fred

  18. #18
    Rolling on 650b
    Reputation: Clipless in PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    296
    Nice work on the list RagerXS. I was looking to try some other tires on my Rush conversion, but the 2.1 Nevs I'm running are about as big as I'd want to go on the rear.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    824
    27.5 Tire Size Reference-2.1-nevagal-26-vs-2.1-neomoto-650b.jpg

    Pictured is the rear triangle of my 08 Brodie Mettle with the 650B x 2.1 Neomoto on the left and my 2.1 x 26" nevegal on the right. When I tried a 650B x 2.25 Racing Ralph, it contacted right where those welds are.

    I realize the 2.1 Neomotoe is on backwards...was just rushed onto the rim for test fitting.

    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Thanks for this feedback - I have to assume the Racing Ralph is wider than the Neo-Moto 2.1 but want to confirm before I update either list. Was the rubbing you encountered on the sides or on the back of the seat post?

    Fred
    Last edited by morkys; 02-20-2014 at 08:26 AM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,091
    Really good stuff Rager, thanks!
    Everybody needs to remember to consider the age of the tire when making comparisons, in addition to rim width, pressure, etc.
    I mounted a 2.3 Neo Moto that was a mm or two smaller than the 2.1 it was replacing, but that 2.1 had survived longer than any other (and I've trashed a box full of them) and was reaaaaally supple and well stretched, where-as the 2.3 was brand spanking new and still kind of stiff and small.

  21. #21
    Life Is Short
    Reputation: fatcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Fred, thanks for posting this chart. Believe it or not, I was really getting frustrated
    on the min. clearance or lack thereof on my rear wheel with Nevegals 2.1 and was
    contemplating just saying the hell with it! I'm going to lace up a 26'er back on.

    So by chance, I stumbled on this thread and decided to give it another chance
    and try a couple of Quasi Motos. What the hell, I already spent $$$ converting,
    waiting (back order on P35's) the damn rims anyways.

    I sometimes (I have NO LIFE) dream about rocks and pebbles eating up my rear
    yoke on the bikes and finishing up a ride with barely any aluminum left between
    the tire and the rear triangle. Actually they are nightmares. Again thanks!

    Pics of my 650b converts: 2 stinkys, each now with sand blasted rear triangles
    from pebbles and stuff due to low rear tire clearance--not on the bottom but
    on the top portion. The bottom has 1-3/4" of clearance. Go figure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 Tire Size Reference-p4pb8632302.jpg  

    27.5 Tire Size Reference-p4pb8632301.jpg  

    Ride More, Eat More

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    28
    My two 2012 Racing Ralph tires were quite off the stated weight at 543g & 586g.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    304
    Updated with more weights...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    63

    My measurements for a few 27.5 and 26 tires.

    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Also useful could be a corresponding list of 26" tires so we see the overlap in sizes, allowing me to answer the question, "which 26" tires are as tall or taller than a 650b Neo 2.1"?
    I posted my measurements about a month ago in another thread, but for the life of me, I can't find it again using the Search function on this site. I must be an idiot... So, I'm re-posting this (sorry if you've seen it before):

    Brand, Model (Nominal Size) Rim: Measured Dia. x Measured Width

    Schwalbe, Hans Dampf SnakeSkin (27.5x2.35) Flow EX: 27.90 x 2.43
    Maxxis, Ardent EXO (27.5x2.25) Flow EX: 27.88 x 2.29
    Kenda, Nevegal (27.5x2.35) Flow EX: 27.75 x 2.43
    Pacenti, NeoMoto (27.5x2.1) Flow EX: 27.63 x 2.21
    Schwalbe, Hans Dampf SnakeSkin (27.5x2.25) Crest: 27.57x2.23
    Pacenti, NeoMoto (27.5x2.3) Flow EX: 27.56 x 2.41
    Kenda, Nevegal DTC (27.5x2.1) Crest: 27.53 x 2.24

    Maxxis, Ardent (26x2.4) Flow: 27.19 x 2.42
    Maxxis, Minion DHF 3C Wire Bead (26x2.7) Flow: 26.88 x 2.51
    Specialized Control, S-Works (26x2.3) Arch EX: 26.81 x 2.26
    Maxxis, Ardent (26x2.25) Flow: 26.81 x 2.23
    Kenda, Nevegal StickE (26x2.1) Arch EX: 26.63 x 2.17

    Tires inflated to 30psi for all measurements. Width measured at the widest point, be it the knobs, or the carcass.

    *Edit 24Aug2013: Added 27.5x2.35 Schwalbe HD
    *Edit 25Aug2013: Corrected 27.5x2.25 Schwalbe HD measurements, and added 26x2.7 Maxxis Minion measurements.
    Last edited by lixxfe; 08-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rocket Ron - 27.5 x 2.25 - WTB Frequency i23 - actual: 27.60 x 2.20
    EVO, TLR, Pacestar
    weight: 496g
    Brand new, mounted with tube, 40psi

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •