mtbr member
    Apr 2013

We the people ... 27.5 Rims for V-Brakes?

Hey all,

I have an old Rockhopper with a cracked frame, but its a slight crack, and I think I might just make it into an around town bike, but I was thinking it would be cool to add 27.5 rims. I will try to see if the LBS will let me put them on just to see if they even fit, but the bike does not have disc mounts, so if there aren't any 27.5 rims that accomodate rim brakes, I'll throw the idea out the window.

Does anyone know if there are any reasonably priced 27.5 rim brake rims out there? Thanks

Jeff

Also, this is my bike, in case anyone knows if 27.5 rims will work. I'm pretty sure it has plenty of room for the rims, it's just a matter of the rims meeting up with the brakes...
    1996 Specialized Rockhopper Comp A1 FS - BikePedia

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnato1 View Post
    Hey all,

I have an old Rockhopper with a cracked frame, but its a slight crack,
    Cracked frame? The only thing one does with a cracked frame is get rid of it.

turtles make me hot
    I bought a pair of what should have been 26" Sun Ringle' CR18 wheels and they showed up and were 27.5.
    I'm about to attampt to fit them on an old Cannondale M400. IF the rear one clears the frame AND the Vee brakes work, I'm done... IF the rear clears the frame and the Vee brake does not work, I may try to use Brake Therapy to add a disc brake.
    Only reason I'm trying this is I have a friend that wants to take up riding and he's pretty broke. I'm trying to build him a bike with what I have on hand. If it ends up not working, I guess I can build him some 26" wheels cheap enough.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Oh yeah... And throw that frame away. Mr5150 is right.
    I like turtles

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Another vote for scrapping the frame.

mtbr member
    Aluminum frame... scrap, sorry.
    To answer your question though, I don't know if they are still selling but I built some wheels for the wife's Rawland that have Velocity Synergy rims. They should hold up well enough for XC, but I wouldn't ride them for urban or all mountain. There is also the Pacenti PL23 which is similar to the Synergy, but imo not as nice. I think they are more for touring and some light offroad.
    I should add that you will need enough reach from the posts for the pads to hit the rim. Paul motolites should do the trick, but aren't cheap and hard to find a set used that someone is willing to part with.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member

V-brake adaptor

I manufactured some adaptors for a friends 26" bike to accept 700c wheels and use the V-brakes. No pics of the finished product on the bike but I think the slots would accommodate 27.5, if not just make the slots longer. I did do machining after I got the adaptors on the bike to see what would look better than a couple of square chunks of metal hanging on the brakes and I must say, they look pretty good once installed. What you see is the raw form before matching them to the brakes and frame for a more sleek look.

Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cool! nice engineering! A pair of rims that are cheap are Weinmann Discovery rims. Check them out in my ti build thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So, all I want to do is ride the bike around town, literally as a road bike. You still think I have to scrap the frame?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So, all I want to do is ride the bike around town, literally as a road bike. You still think I have to scrap the frame?

Are you the original owner? if so, warranty it. If not, throw it in the trash can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Are you the original owner? if so, warranty it. If not, throw it in the trash can.
    This. The only way to fix that is to replace the headtube and it's not worth the trouble for a Rockhopper. It will eventually fail, possibly while you're just riding it around town.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I'd scrap it no matter what, especially with a head tube crack.

If you insist on keeping it, stop drill the crack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am an the original owner, but it is a 96 RockHopper. Not sure that they will warranty it, but I guess it's worth a shot. Can I do the warranty thing myself or do I have to go through a shop?

I'm bummed, I figured you guys would say it would be fine if I was just riding around town. It's the first bike I ever bought and even if they warranty it, it will be lost to Specialized. I've never seen another one in this color scheme or frame style from the same year. It's a RockHopper Comp A1 FS.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am an the original owner, but it is a 96 RockHopper. Not sure that they will warranty it, but I guess it's worth a shot. Can I do the warranty thing myself or do I have to go through a shop?

I'm bummed, I figured you guys would say it would be fine if I was just riding around town. It's the first bike I ever bought and even if they warranty it, it will be lost to Specialized. I've never seen another one in this color scheme or frame style from the same year. It's a RockHopper Comp A1 FS.
    Specialized offers a lifetime warranty on the front triangle. As long as it is not abuse, you will get a new frame. Take it back to where you bought it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    I manufactured some adaptors for a friends 26" bike to accept 700c wheels and use the V-brakes. No pics of the finished product on the bike but I think the slots would accommodate 27.5, if not just make the slots longer. I did do machining after I got the adaptors on the bike to see what would look better than a couple of square chunks of metal hanging on the brakes and I must say, they look pretty good once installed. What you see is the raw form before matching them to the brakes and frame for a more sleek look.

Sinz - BRAKING, BRAKE POST EXTENSION

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you cant get Specialized to get you a new frame, then dont throw it recycle it!
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Ti View Post
    If you cant get Specialized to get you a new frame, then dont throw it recycle it!

For sure, I'm not one to waste. LBS is working on a warranty claim for me, I'll keep y'all posted on the result.

Chronic Underachiever
    A crack this big in this spot is a definite safety hazard. This frame should be replaced. Continuing to ride it in any capacity ain't worth the risk.