Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

27.5" bike the bee's knees?

I ride both a 29er and a 26er. The 29er is a hardtail I use for road riding and on some trails. The 26er is an almost 6" trail technical terrain bike. I like the smaller wheels for tight trails with rocks. The 29er is better on smoother, more open trails that are not as tight or techical. Sure, part of this is the HT vrs. FS. However, not all of it. I bet the 27.5" would be the best of both worlds. I wonder if the standard will grow or die? I would give it a try. Sounds awesome! Your thought?

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Maybe, but then again maybe not.

It could just be that this is just a compromise that has some of the benefits of both but none of the attributes of either.

Most of my experience has been on 26” bikes I only rode one 29er and didn’t really find it to be all that exciting. Then I put together a rigid 69er using a Kona steel frame I had and a new VooDoo fork. At first this was just something I did to use up some spare parts and have a second bike for putting around on easy trails. Now I am planning on selling my Blur frame and Talas fork in favor of the 69er. I would like to try the Reba fork to get back to front suspension.

In my humble opinion the 69 is the best of both worlds the bigger front wheel to roll over things the smaller back wheel for standard gearing. The gearing was one of my big hang ups with the bigger wheel in back. The last thing I wanted was to loose ease of peddling on hard climbs.

The 650b or 27.5 surely offers something of an improvement over a 26 but from what I have seen online putting that size wheel in a 26” frame or fork leaves very little room. Not that I ride in that much mud but it seams that anyone who does would not be happy for long. Factory built bikes with this as the intended wheel size would surely give better tire clearance.

At any rate it is great to see all of this experimentation going on surely there are some who will love the new stuff just as others will be content to stick with the old and proven.

Tim

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice post AZTripper - and I wholly agree.